headlight bulb on a 2008, 2009 and 2010 Sportage? The headlights with
the amber lens that is not used? I have followed the instructions in
the handbook but can not get the light unit out. The only way I can
see it coming out is if I remove the bumper. Any advice gratefully
received.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 sportage xs. Have managed to change headlight bulbs without removing unit (small hands) but i am unable to change sidelight. Have followed user manual but unit will still not come out. Is there another screw or something that needs removed??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Today I managed to change both the headlight bulbs and also the passenger side sidelight bulb on my 2006 Sportage without taking out the headlight ! :)

To access the sidelight, remove the air duct behind the main headlight, then remove the plastic backing covering the main headlight bulb, this gives enough room to get small hand in to remove plastic container containing sidelight, there is no wire going to the bulb as power is provided when the container clicks back into place.

Will update if and when I change the drivers side sidelight.
Edited by: techie

·
Registered
197 Posts
techie said:
Today I managed to change both the headlight bulbs and also the passenger side sidelight bulb on my 2006 Sportage without taking out the headlight ! :)

To access the sidelight, remove the air duct behind the main headlight, then remove the plastic backing covering the main headlight bulb, this gives enough room to get small hand in to remove plastic container containing sidelight, there is no wire going to the bulb as power is provided when the container clicks back into place.

Will update if and when I change the drivers side sidelight.

I replaced both my headlight bulbs today too without removing anything other than the circular cover on the back. The driver's side was relatively straightforward. The passenger side (CRDi) was more difficult because of the air duct so I'd be interested to know how you removed that.

Otherwise:

Remove circular cover (twist off)

Pull off wiring connector

Release spring clip - it pushes towards the front of the car

Remove old bulb

Insert new bulb - make sure the 3 lugs seat properly and avoid handling the glass

Relocate spring clip

Push on wiring connector

Replace circular cover

I've fitted Phillips X-Treme Power H4s ('80%' increase) bought from Power Bulbs for £22.25 a pair including P&P. These bulbs are slightly old news now but I'm hoping they will be durable. Having done a subjective test that are without doubt an improvement on the old bulbs. The light is noticeably whiter (previously the headlight and sidelight were the same 'colour' - now the difference is obvious...I also tried the lights with one old and new bulb in which confirmed the whiteness). They also make a difference driving on unlit country roads...not so much 'wow' as

'yeah'.

Oh yes - top tip - don't drop anything! I managed to drop one of the circular covers and had to extract it from the sump plate with a long stick. I also dropped the old bulb on the passenger side which ended-up in the trim behind the bumper in the wheel arch....I extracted it with difficulty but intact.

Edited by: Blow-in

·
Registered
65 Posts
The air duct cowling in mine, just clips off, it twists out from the battery side and then slots out of the duct going to the front grill.

·
Registered
197 Posts
techie said:
The air duct cowling in mine, just clips off, it twists out from the battery side and then slots out of the duct going to the front grill.

Thanks - useful to know and I'd remove it if doing the job again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts