Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, due to the Virus I havent use the motor at all but cum 2day as I was pulling off the drive, it wudnt move, fool I know, shud have left the handbrake off but didnt. Anyway rocked it back and forth and there was a crunch, take it the rear brake shoes have dun summet like broken. So decided to get down to the task of removing the drum. Taken caliper off and bracket BUT cannot shift the drum no way!!-I have taken adjustment off the brake so it runs free. I have hit it with a lum hammer for over an hour but wont shift, yes I did remove the screw in centre of hub.
Anyone any ideas how to get this blasted drum off at all?-wud it mean an extractor of some kind?
Thanx 2 anyone that can shine a light?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Get WD40 out and give a good soaking around the centre of the drum where it sits on the center stub. Also around the 5 studs where they come through the drum. Leave overnight to give a good soak in. I f it still then does not shift heat the drum up with blow lamp. Also remove the nut on top of the brake cable pivot on diff case bracket, and pull pivot off and clean up and make sure when it goes back pivots freely, as if not the nearside brake will not release after handbrake has been applied.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks birdman..spoke to local garage he said seeing as its now 17 years old it will need heat as you say on it, so booked it in next week.
Can u answer this though, upon replacing all parts the drum would not turn completely locke up???-so continued with putting wheel on and droppin the jack. Jumped in and gingerly let the clutch out and it released it, so wot cud be holding it on, free to move when I strated on the job of trying to remove the hum then locked up??..am wondering if it cud be the diff??..any more probs its goin to the scrap yard I can tell you. Thanx 4 anythig Birdman.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, due to the Virus I havent use the motor at all but cum 2day as I was pulling off the drive, it wudnt move, fool I know, shud have left the handbrake off but didnt. Anyway rocked it back and forth and there was a crunch, take it the rear brake shoes have dun summet like broken. So decided to get down to the task of removing the drum. Taken caliper off and bracket BUT cannot shift the drum no way!!-I have taken adjustment off the brake so it runs free. I have hit it with a lum hammer for over an hour but wont shift, yes I did remove the screw in centre of hub.
Anyone any ideas how to get this blasted drum off at all?-wud it mean an extractor of some kind?
Thanx 2 anyone that can shine a light?
was a bastard to ge the drum of and when i did the shoes had fell apart, bought some new and now ok.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The pivot on the rear casing causes trouble and needs checking maybe 2/3 times a year. as you say, it seizes and holds the n/s drum on.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eventually got drum off and brake shoes had fallen apart, replaced adjusted now perfect, AM NOW ONTO THE REAR SUSPENSION..Am tryin to find out if I can fit STRONG UNITS to account for the weak springs FITTED on the self levelling shockers. Monroes say normal shocks will see vehicle sit LOWER and ruin the new shocks if fitted without replacing the springs for stronger ones?..not goin down the road of the KITS...u av to draw a line on cost eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts