Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 06 Sorento about a year ago. It’s been a pain and I’ve been throwing money at it ever since. The latest problem is that the front prop shaft coupling is on its way out and the prop shaft needs to be replaced, which I can’t afford to do. Apparently there is an option to remove it altogether and run the car as permanent rear wheel drive. Is this advisable? I don’t drive the vehicle off road so I’m guessing 4WD isn’t essential. I’m wondering if disengaging the front wheel drive will put strain on the rear diff if all the power is carried by the rear wheels. Also what difference will it make to handling? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
This can be done and it will not strain the rear as most of the time it will not be driving the fronts anyway - that only engages when the rears are slipping or when you select 4WD. If you don't off road you will notice no difference in handling.

WRT the propshaft coupling, I presume that it is a UJ?

Why do you think it needs to be changed?

UJs can be replaced at much less than the cost of a whole propshaft. My son has a Navarra and one of the UJs on the rear propshaft started making horrible noises (it's a common problem on the Navarra), Nissan wanted £1200 to replace the propshaft. We purchased a new spider (the X piece inside the UJ) and fitted it ourselves for the total outlay of £35

Mind you it took all day as one of the bearing pockets had seized on to the spider (which was the source of the noise) so we had to take an angle grinder to it. If doing the job again I would purchase an arbor press (about £30) and with that and the benefit of experience the job could be done in as little as 2 hours. Access to the rear propshaft is easy peasy on the Navarra - four bolts and it's off. Access to the front propshaft might be more tricky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a used front prop shaft from an 06 sorento if you want to make me an offer.

Also a blue spark tuning box (for 170bhp engine) if interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the advice. The problem was spotted in a recent service and identified as a coupling. The garage said that this part is not available separately and would need a complete shaft which is so expensive! I haven’t the confidence to do this kind of work myself so I think my only option will be to have it removed and see how it goes. Really appreciate your help, thank you.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Thanks very much for the advice. The problem was spotted in a recent service and identified as a coupling. The garage said that this part is not available separately and would need a complete shaft which is so expensive! I haven’t the confidence to do this kind of work myself so I think my only option will be to have it removed and see how it goes. Really appreciate your help, thank you.
Your garage is spouting BS. less than 2 minutes searching reveals

here for £45 each

or a whole propshaft

here for £120

careful though - it looks like there is more than on type of propshaft

Time to find another garage methinks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gallivant,

I found after I'd bought my Sorento at Christmas that the front propshaft was missing. So I looked on Ebay and found this one, brand new, for less than £200.

I've since fitted it and it's fine. The fitting bolts are 6 allen bolts at the front end (where it joins to the front diff), and 4 hex head bolts at the back end, where it joins to the output flange on the transfer box.

I found the job relatively easy to do, but required me being on my back under the car, with the front end raised up around 2ft in the air.

If you want to run your car without the front propshaft you can do that easily, but you may find the tapered fit of the shaft at the front end, where it joins the front diff, can be difficult to get out of the cup it sits in.

With the shaft either in place or removed you won't notice any difference at all in the way the car drives on normal roads. The only time you'd ever know it was there is if you're going across a muddy field and the back wheels start sliding around. At that point, with the shaft in place you can stop the car, select 4WD Low on the switch, and as soon as you pull away you'll feel the front wheels begin to bite if the rear wheels slide again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi BobHUK
thanks for all that, it’s interesting to hear your experience. From what I can gather, it’s not unusual to buy second hand 4WD vehicles to find the front prop shaft missing. It sounds like a fairly straightforward job to fit a new one but I’m not sure I’m up to it. Sadly I’m fairly typical of many 4WD owners and have no plans to go off road, so I will probably have the prop shaft removed. I appreciate your advice and reassurance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts