Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The rear reverse bulb has been broken. However, in the 2010 fl model I have to remove the whole light assembly. In my case, because of some water leakage issues, this has been previously resealed somehow. By removing the rear light assembly do you think that the gasket (if any) will be damaged?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Dunno if there is a gasket, but if there is there is always a risk fo damage because often they adhere to the surfaces, I would use mastic to re-seal,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno if there is a gasket, but if there is there is always a risk fo damage because often they adhere to the surfaces, I would use mastic to re-seal,
What kind of mastic do you suggest?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would use Neoprene Self Adhesive Backed Foam. I have tried silicone before without success. The original gasket is foam and neoprene is what divers suits are made of. Cut it to the exact shape has the old one. I'd stick to how it was meant to be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, I removed the taillight and the mechanic had put some special mastic. However, I broke one guide pin. I should mention here than every hole (for guide pins or screws) has a significant amount of sealant. The new mechanic told me that around the screws there was a kind of sealant ring, between the car body and the headlight, that in my case was missing. He put back the headlight and told me that due to the large amount of sealant there is no risk of water ingress. However, I am concerned about the broken guide pin, if water can ingress from that hole (which is also sealed around, like a volcano shape). He also told me that I cannot find such rings. So, I made it from old rubber tire. Till next time, he suggested to do nothing. Also, he put some water sealant (a black rubbery thing) around the screws in the cabin side of the headlight. I look forward for your opinions!

In the photo I show the broken guide pin.

Ps. The problem with the water ingress was when the car was parked facing upwards. I had this tail light resealed and the boot lid gasket replaced. However since then I haven't parked this way (facing upwards) and no water ingress has been found. Initially, the screws of the taillight was somewhat wet, therefore I though the problem was from there. That's a short history.
Furthermore, All the taillights I found on ebay don't have these rubber seals around the screws. And that's strange

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What kind of mastic do you suggest?

I would use clear sealant suitable for bathrooms etc. that way their is no issue with colour match. It cures to a rubbery texture and is mildly adhesive so this will not be a problem for later removal the next time you need a new bulb.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would use clear sealant suitable for bathrooms etc. that way their is no issue with colour match. It cures to a rubbery texture and is mildly adhesive so this will not be a problem for later removal the next time you need a new bulb.
I see. Unfortunately now, this guide pin is broken, however, the sealant is its place (actually stuck on the body). I think (and hope!) that no water will ingress from this hole. I made some elastic rings from an old rubber tube. Next time, or in case of water ingress, i will use them.

What I've found so far is that the rear headlights from ceed f/l have no rubber gasket, as the pre f/l have. Even not around the screws. In the photo below, the tail lights from pre-f/l model are given, where the gasket is visible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts