Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm in need of advice with regards to remote fobs not working. I have 2 of them and neither works. Would they both need reprogramming into the car and if so how. Its a 2007 Sorento.
Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi buddy if you change the battery in each remote (see owners guidance) the pad will not need re programming

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was told a new battery was fitted but still not working, however today for some reason it worked. Unlocked, locked, unlocked tried rear window and unlocked fine, locked it all up and went inside. Came out 6hrs later and no joy again. Do you think it is still a battery issue i have. Cheers. Also dont suppose you know how to code a new fob into the 2007 facelift model.
Thanks again
Andrew

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
it will have been out of sync, they have a batch of rolling codes, by pressing it out of range they can get out of sync

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
If it works sometimes it does not need re-coding. Your most likely problem will be a broken wire where they pass through th rubber gator from door pillar to drivers door. If wire broken and sometimes touches it will work. Open door again it won't. The master switch is in the drivers door lock. If this does not operate non of the others will either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree its not the remote. I put a new battery in and tested it. Worked fine. Drove a few miles, got out of the truck and locked fine. Remembered i left something inside and unlocked fine. Shut the door and sure enough it locked fine. Did a few mins of shopping, came out and unlocked fine. Drove a 1/4 mile home and not working again. Central locking works fine with the key. BIRDMAN do you think it is still a wire in the rubber gator causing the issue.
Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
When you unlock with key the drivers door has the master switch to open the other doors. If the wire that feeds power to the drivers door from the control unit has broken this can be causing the intermittent operating. whether to two ends are touching or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you unlock with key the drivers door has the master switch to open the other doors. If the wire that feeds power to the drivers door from the control unit has broken this can be causing the intermittent operating. whether to two ends are touching or not.
Hi Birdman, any idea as to the colour of the wire/wires that may be the culprit. Just home from having tea out and bingo its working again although it didnt work at the pub. Did have the heated seats on on way home. When weather gets better i'll have a look and see if i can find the fault. When i do find where its faulty i'll update this post.
Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my remote locking issue. After speaking to a friend who has a 2008 sportage that had a similar problem of irratic remote operation i followed his advise. He told me to wiggle the key as you remove it from the lock and you will hear a click as you remove it. I tested remote an bingo it worked. He then advised me to lubricate the ignition switch with WD40. It turned out to be the barrel was not fully releasing. The remote would not work because it thought the key was still in the ignition. I have repeatedly opened doors and started the engine since spraying WD40 and so far it works every time.
Thanks for your help and fingers crossed it keeps working.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good feedback - although WD40 is not recommended as it evaporates quickly and the problem returns, a decent lock lubricant would be better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good feedback - although WD40 is not recommended as it evaporates quickly and the problem returns, a decent lock lubricant would be better
The main thing to me is that i now know the issue is the ignition switch. I will get some lock lubricant, do you have any suggestions on brand/type.
Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
333 Posts
The main thing to me is that i now know the issue is the ignition switch. I will get some lock lubricant, do you have any suggestions on brand/type.
Cheers
Andrew
Yes it's a win for you!

Can't recommend a particular lock lubricant. I use dry (PTFE) lubricant that I have had for years, bought from Maplin Electronics!

If you Amazon 'Lock Lubricant' ( Amazon.co.uk: lock lubricant ) there are plenty of ones, some are graphite based which I have seen mentioned elsewhere in the forum. I prefer the PTFE dry lubricant types as they are potentially less messy than graphite - WD40 make one it seems. The PTFE types are also non conductive which some people suggest could be an issue with graphite based types.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
WD40 (the original Water Dispersant spray) is a very poor lubricant so if you have used that then future problems will occur. It dries to a sticky film (which retains it's water dispersant character) which will become gummy and attract more dirt and dust..

WD 40 do now make other sprays which are more suited to your application and I recomment that you get some proper lube in there ASAP - or 3 in 1 oil is good. The dry PTFE or Graphite powders are ideal for lock lubrication, but it is probably too late for that on your lock if you have put WD40 original in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers guys for that. I'll look on amazon for some lock lube. The one i used had added PTFE in so hopefully it should be ok.
Will definitely get some proper lubricant tho to be on the safe side.
Cheers
Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts