Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have a sorrento 8year old had it from new auto xe .never had any problems until month ago ,when my central locking would not work from my remote ..put the key in the door works ok,then started the engine,then hazards came on,then stayed on, so pushed in my hazard button and it was ok ..But now my remote doesn't work ,went to kia dealer and said they had no idea but would cost me £120 just to look. i've fitted a new battery.and read on another forum of another serrento with the same problem but couldn't read his reply.. so can any one help ?? ithink the remote receiver has lost it signal but don't know how to reset it...IDEAS WELCOME.. Russ.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Had a Hiunday come in with a similar problem with the lack of headlights. I removed the receiver opened it up, and on the printed circuit found a copper strip had erroded away in two places in one corner, cleaned the remaining strips and joined with thin telephone wire and solder, works fine 7 months on, have a look!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Try this, it is a fairly common issue....
Kia Sorento ""“ Remote Entry Key Fob Programming (2003-2006) Pre-Facelift Models

Notes:
1. Data Link Connector = Diagnostics Connector to be found in engine compartment
2. Maximum Number of fobs that can be programmed is TWO
3. When programming a new fob, new codes are written to system. Any existing fob(s) will be
DISABLED. Use the procedure for programming multiple fobs using both new and existing
fob. (see point 2 above!)
4. No information is available for DIY programming of Facelift models, sorry.
16. Code saving method
Receiver (ETACS module) can save maximum two codes from the transmitter.
(1) Apply the battery voltage to the terminal "6" of DLC (Data Link Connector).
(2) Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position.
(3) While coding one transmitter.
Press the lock button of transmitter for 3 seconds over until the turn signal lamp
turns off.
(4) While coding two transmitters.
Press the lock button of one for 1 second while the turn signal lamp turns on, and then
press the lock button of the other for 1 second over until the turn signal lamp turns off.
(5) Remove the battery voltage, and then the transmitter code is re-saved on the receiver.

(6) Check the operation of the keyless entry system

Taff

Edited by: paddywagon05

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here is another DIY for US model but the same;

<TABLE id=table10 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width="101%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Tools Needed:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<UL>
<LI>1 or 2 OEM Key Fobs.</LI>[/list]</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<UL>
<LI>1.5 foot of electrical wire, with ends stripped, approximately 22 gauge. (Jumper Wire).</LI>[/list]</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Steps:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<UL>
<LI>Open the hood of your SUV.

<LI>Behind the battery on the drivers side is a plastic covered connector labeled Diagnostics.

<LI>Open the plastic cover on the Diagnostics port by pulling up on the edge near the FRONT of the vehicle.

<LI>Get your prepped/stripped jumper wire and place one end in connector 6 as shown in the pictures.

<LI>Run the other end of the jumper wire to the POSITIVE terminal on your battery, you can just push it into the little opening on there so it stays in place for a few minutes.

<LI>Get into your vehicle with your key fobs.

<LI>Put one key into your ignition and turn to ON position, DO NOT start your vehicle.

<LI>If you just have ONE key fob to reprogram, when you turn the vehicle to ON, hold the LOCK button down for 3 seconds, the lights on the dash will go off, and you are done. Turn the key off, disconnect the wire, and try the key fob.

<LI>If you have TWO key fobs to reprogram, turn the key to ON, hold the first LOCK button for 1 second, then the second one for 1 second. Turn the key off after the lights on the dash go off and remove the jumper wire. Test both Key Fobs. </LI>[/list]

Taff</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"massive thanks" to you job done ... did what you said and it all works
i'm leaving it on for any other owner ..THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys i ave the same problem ,but that reset makes know difference ,i have put new batteries in the fobs ,still nothing .I can lock the car but cannot open with the fob ,an ideas please

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi THere
I have a Kia Cerato 2005 model, I live in South Africa, I have two fobs for my car and the ones battery had to be replaced now it does not work. I have tried various methods including the one posted here to connect terminal 6 to positive of battery, but nothing happened....the only light that went off the dash was the key light but the fob still did not work.

Any suggestions on how to resync my spare fob?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Changing battery should not have lost code.Try disconnecting battery on car for a couple of minutes then reconnect this does the trick on Sorento and Picanto

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
clean the board of the transmitter with a cotton bud and wd40, the switches are available on ebay for a couple of quid, they require delicate soldering,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it work if you do the wire thing to the number 6 in the diagnostic and to the battery terminal to reprogram your 2003 Kia Sorento..Will it mess anything up. I see alot of posting saying that is how it is done but I am scared so can someone tell me if this is correct

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
This is a copy of official Kia instructions and this works as i have used it on several Sorento's and Sedona's

Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Follow these instructions and will work .I have been working with Sorentos for 11 years

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Very likely as it works on Sorentos and Sedonas of the same age but have not tried on a Rio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Will try your way, has tried to attach the connector 6 directly to the battery but it did not work. Is the connector 5 the same as the + pole of the battery? Talked with KIA workshop who said that this could ruin the whole data box in the car! Feels like it's a risky game I play?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Yes terminal 5 is positive the same just stops having to trail a wire across to the battery. My son had a 2005 Rio for 9 years and never had any problem so it was never tried

Sportage of the same year had a different system . if i can find details on that i will post them

Found it click on this link shows control box position on Rio and switch for setting page 5, then go to page 20 and instructions, but that should read lower dash panel not crash panel

http://roy.duitman.nl/Kia_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Birdman I see the programming link and I have a question? Does the 2003 Kia Sorento have the remote or the remote on the key it-self. I bought the Kia Remote with the 3 key button. It has the unlock the trunk and on the bottom the lock..It that what is used for unlocking the car/trunk ..It did not come with a remote when I bought it cause I was tired of unlocking the car with the key ever time. Also does the Key have the chip in it as well

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Separate remote, lock, unlock, trunk and attack button to sound horn..Key has chip for the immobiliser .A key without the chip would unlock but engine would not start with it.

This is how UK Sorento's are.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts