Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, Got a problem with remote door locking (intermittent)??? Tried both key fobs so may not a battery issue? press the fob nothing, reinsert key into ignition turn and remove and it works fine. Done it 5/6 times over the last month or so. Anyone had this problem before i take it back KIA. Come on drakey you must know how to fix this one. LOL.
RegardsGeoff

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Sorry, have no idea with this one, the only door issues I've encountered was my passenger door wouldn't open from the inside for a few days one winter.
Some form of factory reset or upgrade for the decoder unit maybe?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
......and 'come on Drakey' ???? I'm far from tech help on here, I'm good at welcoming and 'ooooh nice car' posts lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drakey you are always giving tech help!!! Have now changed remote key fobs just in case the its a battery issue, will see if second fob works without problems, because 2nd fob may work on different codes ???? May have to go to my KIA garage yet ?regards as always
Geoff

·
Registered
13 Posts
There
have been known problems with the ""Key in""� switch on the ignition barrel which
can cause the remote locking problems. If it sticks (thinks the keys in when
its not) the remotes will not work. Another way to spot the fault is with the side
light s on ,turn ign off, key out, when you open the door the side lights
should go out (battery save mode) if they don't the switch is sticking

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks Mrkia. Will check it out,have replaced batteries in both key fobs (seems ok) but have been away since 17th so not been using the car, hence the delay in my reply. Great reply and im sure you will be a great asset to the KIA owners club
Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mrkia,would a squirt of WD40 in the ignition switch help to prevent this problem should it occur again? or even as a preventive measure for the future? In the old days a squirt in all the locks and ignition switch kept things sweet, not sure with the modern ignition switches tho ??
regards
Geoff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same problem with my i30. Sprayed with WD40 and ok since. Make sure you hear a "click" when removing ignition key.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill03,will give it ago then, was not sure if it was ok to use WD40? many thanks.
regards
Geoff

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not that I'm saying it's wrong, but wouldn't some lithium grease be a little safer? It's the lightweight White grease you sometimes find in electricals/mechanical objects like, the gearboxes in children's 6v ride-ons. The thought of WD40 welling up at the bottom of the ignition sounds dicey to me. But then saying that I'm butterfingered by nature and would end up spraying half a can! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers bud, may pay to look into it with KIA dealer then? was not to sure about it ,used to do it in old days on cortinas and triumphs LOL but not the same ignition switches. would assume 7YR w/tee covers it so may just pop it back later if problem re appears.regards
Geoff

·
Registered
536 Posts
The only reason I'm not sure about the WD40 is that its a mineral oil still and certain metal, rubbers ect can have an adverse affect. Usually when lubricating anything on my race bike I use silicone oil which is light and non corrosive of rubber and non conductive. With the immobiliser chip the key its best to clear whatever you use with the dealer first, it's on there head then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts