Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know anything about this? Is it legal? I've been told I can get my kia sportage 2litre crdi special edition from 134 bhp to 185bhp!!!!! and just for £200-is that for real and has anyone had their ECU remapped
Johnathan

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Never had a remap on my Rio 1.5 diesel but had a Pro-Bitz tuning box on and I can vouch for that being a great bit of kit for £99. I have had my Leon TDI 140bhp remapped by Celtic Tuning and it cost £300. Power is up to 185bhp and torque is 400Nm. It is very impressive, certainly pulls the skin off the rice pudding and more. If your car is still under warranty I would fit a box that way you can take it off if your getting work/service done. With the remap you've got to watch the garage dont overwrite it when they install new software updates. I know for sure this happens with any VAG car as my mate found out and had to get it remapped. Some of the remap companies will remap it if the dealers have over written it, but not all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am interested in this box method for my optima, I have seen Celtic tuning do a tune on a White optima last week (it's on YouTube) and they said it was dyno'd at 150bhp standard and they got it up to 179bhp after some tweaks, they also go on to say they could have Gone on to get more power as the engine and rails where willing but they where satisfied with 179bhp,

I don't fancy the remap but the running box I'm really interested in if you have any more info?

Alex

·
Registered
525 Posts
Personally and from many years for experience of eaking more power out of my engines, i wouldnt toucha tuning box with a barge pole.

No doubt people will have found them OK, mabey even good, but, what you are effectivley doing with a tuning box is Piggybacking the manufacturer ECU with a piece of external software designed to "lie"to the ECU to get it to behave in a different way, ie pump more fuel into the engine, or allow more air inor spin a turbo faster etc......

No argument from me that Manufacturers will very rarely release an engine that is working to its full potential on the general public, and 9 times out of 10 there is more to be had. Prime example, is VW group who have both petrol and diesel engines that are fundamentally the same but which can be had in several different power outputs, ie the old 1.8 20v T engine could be had with anything from 150 to 225BHP as standard and with proper remapping can push upto 300BHP without any mechanical mods.

What you really should look for is a propper re-map where a company (starchip/superchips/moreago) have gone to the significant expense and emplyed years of engineering expertise to re-write the original ECU mapping to directly allow the cars brain to release more power and torque, not fool it into thinking that the air temp is colder than it realy is or advancing the ignition to delay the spark and allow more fuel and air to eneter the combustion process. These will cost more money than a tuning box but are much more effective, reliable and for the most part come with a seperate warranty supplied by the tuning company.

Also Car companies are getting wise to these tuning boxes and alot will report that there has been a non standard connection in an OBDII error report when you take the car into the dealer with an engine fault but remove the tuning box before it goes in.

I certainly would not plug a £99 tuning box into the brain of my £20k+ car and risk possibly cacking the thing, only for the stealers to know you have done it and then leave you with a nice fat bill for repairing whatYOU have broken. My advice would be in you are buying new, save up and buy a faster car, or buy a little older and spend £3-400 on a proper re-map.

Obviously you are telling your insurance companies about the remap/tuning boxes too and incurring the additional insuramce premium.......

·
Registered
525 Posts
BTW currently i have a part share in Clio 172 cup Moreago 202 with re-map and full suspension and brake upgrade.
I have an A4 TDI 130 re-mapped to 170BHP @ 88k miles, was on the Rolling Road @ 129k and was still hitting 164BHP - proper remap only.I looked at one witha chip tune box when i was looking for it, that the seller raved about, to me it just made the thing smoke like dot cotton, not much extra poke overstandard and it was dog rough when it was cold, that box claimed an increase to 170BHP...it was no where near as fast as mine with a propper re-map.

Have owned in the past:-

Golf VR6 Mk3, with a 2.9 lump from a Corrado and a superchip upgrade along with many other bits and bobs all done by BBR GTI engineering in Brackley to near 300BHP from standard 174BHP

Van Arken tuned Fiat Chiq sporting with thier bespoke re-map plus turbo and Nitros running a flat 105 BHP (from 55BHP standard) with a 20 seconds max Nitros boost to near 130BHP

Hyundai Coupe Mk1 F2 EVo with Starchip to 170BHP claimed from 145BHP standard, i never had it RR'd but it felt about right

My Mum also had a Mk1 Leon Cupra R (the 225 version) re-maped to 300 by BBR GTI engineering, the map on this was good as you could adjust it off the cruise control stalk to go into different modes. She used to set it to 120BHP when my little sister drove it!

In otherwords i know a bit about re-mapping!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.