Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of remapping their new sportage? Having only read about this recently I was curious so rang up a local "remapper" for some advice. He said he could remap the car that would increase the current 136 to 166bhp , an increase of 30bhp!! He also said I would save on fuel and the gear changing would feel smoother or silkier. He was absolutely sure about this stating that I could return and get my money back if unsatisfied. Which brings me to the price. He said if it was the newer version of this particular diesel engine (which I think it is unless someone corrects me) then it would take about 1-2hrs and cost£330. If it was the older diesel engine it would cost £230. Would anyone out there in Kia world like to comment on this and do they think these claims are true re the increase in bhp? Regards Johnathan P.S. He said it was completely legal and doesn't damage the engine and could be easily returned to its original state by
altering the ECU?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Johnathan1

Keep your money in your pocket and bed the new engine in first!
If done correctly it will be a different beast to what you had new.

Give it at least 12 K miles.

Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had my old SPAM gt tdi 115 remapped up to about 140. It made a terrific (and positive) change to the driving experience of that car. Not just that it was faster, but it was also about 10-15% more economic as well. Less gear changes, savage overtaking ability... 3rd gear was just awesome (tho tricky in the wet!)

However... 1) that car already had done well over 100,000 miles when it was remapped (ie it was out of warranty), 2) it bumped the insurance up a fair bit, and 3) you have to keep an eye out for other affects of putting a more powerful engine into a car that wasn't designed for it. On the SPAM, the clutch went about 2 days after I sold the car to its current owner, and the EGR valve needing cleaning just about every 10,000 miles.

For those reasons I'm not going to even consider getting the Sportage remapped until it's out of warranty anyway...

·
Registered
197 Posts
The version of the new CRDi Sportage sold in Australia has the 2 litre engine but it produces 135 Kw which is 181 BHP or 184 PS. It would be interesting to know the difference between the 2 engine versions and whether KIa has beefed up anything else. It's possible that the change is all in the ECU in which case an original Kia version may be better. You may get some help here: http://...kia-forums.../3g-2011-sportage/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts