1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER
I HAVE DONE THIS SUCESSFULLY BUT ANYONE ATTEMPTING IT DOES SO AT THEIR OWN RISK
I HAVE NO EXPERTISE IN THIS AREA AND FOLLOWED SOMEONELSES INSTRUCTIONS SO I AM UNABLE TO OFFER ANY SUPPORT

CREDITS
Credit for this 'patch' is given to @SonicSpinner on the Hyundai IONIQ Forum forum
Please read the disclaimer above before proceeding and recognise that if you brick your system I cannot be held responsible and I do not have sufficient expertise to help you sort it out so you do this entirely at your own risk.

Having said that this worked for me and is very simple to do.

As the title says I 'believe' that this is for all Standard Gen5W head units but as you can see from my signature I did this on my Xceed MY20.

I will describe what to do in three parts, Overview, Instructions and My Own Experience

Overview: Essentially all that is needed is to download the files from a previous update version and replace two of these files with two from the update files that you last installed, ie. the one currently in the car.

Instructions:

1. Make sure you have a copy of all of the files that you used to update your car, if you still have these on a USB stick copy them to a new folder on your hard drive, if not download them again using the Updater website. For reference I will call these the 211214 update. You should then have these files;
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Operating system

2. Download the version that you want to install from #750 here Ladies & Gentlemen, Hyundai Selfupdater Site for... For reference I will call this the 210817 update.

(I will explain the difference between the 210817 and 210303 versions somewhere below )

3. Format your USB stick as exFat

4. Copy the 210817 version files to your USB stick. If you can download these files directly to your USB stick all the better but I had to download them and the copy them to my USB stick which was a little time consuming.

5. When you have the required update files on your USB stick copy the AppUpgrade & .lge.upgrade files from your 211214 version onto to your USB stick that has the 210817 files on it overwriting the originals.

6. All you need to do now is put the USB stick in the car and go to Settings>General>Update and follow the instructions. It will tell you that this version is already installed and ask whether you want to install it again, select yes.

My Own Experience; Everything went as planned above until the car update had completed. Sadly I didn't pay attention when I started the car, I thought it told me that the update had completed but when I pressed OK it started another process which took another 5 minutes or so. After that all seemed OK but looking at Settings>General>System the software number hadn't changed and I found in the Vehicle Settings that I didn't have any options so I assume that something had not gone correctly, or I hadn't read a screen properly, or I selected an incorrect option somewhere along the line (note to self pay more attention 🤬 ) Rather than panicking (I did really!) I switched off the car, waited 30 seconds, switched it on again, held in the little Reset button on the HU for 10 seconds and the HU initialised itself, I then put the USB stick back in and carried out the Update again. This time it completed correctly and I could see the system files were 210817 and the Maps were EUR.14.41.42.585 which is an earlier version to the maps that came with 211214. Another time I think I will reset the HU before proceeding.

Which update version to choose 210817 or 210303, this is a matter of preference, 210303 comes with EUR.13 maps which gives you a high 3D horizon, 210817 delivered a number (I don't know which) of minor features including split screen for AA plus EUR.14 maps which unfortunately gives a very low horizon in 3D. I haven't tried installing 210303 so I do not know that it will work but expect that it will.

If you want to try this I will keep my fingers crossed for you 🤣🤣🤣

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
If you want to try this I will keep my fingers crossed for you 🤣🤣🤣
Whereas I note the wise Disclaimer by the OP, I wish to add the kiaownersclub.co.uk does not endorse this in any way.

Over the years I have been on here, I have had 58 members who have messaged me due to them 'bricking' their head units.

Apparently, Kia can reinstall the software at a rough cost of £600 according to most of the members who have been in this situation.

£600 plus VAT to 'hopefully' repair your system.....I'd want fingers and toes crossed.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.