Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently bought a used cee'd, I found in the back of the service book that thereare some 1 page "tear-out postcards" to mail to KIA notifying them of your ownership.

Being the "fusspot" that I am, I completed and sent mine in. I initially assumed (which can make an ASS out of U and ME) that I would receive some sort of confirmation of receipt, but after 4 weeks didn't. So I phoned their HO and queried this to ensure they had my details, and why they wanted them.

The customer service departmentconfirmed they don't acknowledge receipt, nor have access to updating the information, but took my details again to pass on to the relevant department, just to assure me they had them!

As to why they like to have them is so that should any future "recalls" or "known issues" come to light, they will contact you, and they also log the the information against your car when these are seen to by their dealers.

It's just dawned on me, as I type, that it's odd that the original owner never had two outstanding "known issues" seen to (maybe they were notified and never bothered - I'll never know), but I explained in my very first posting(Newbie SR7 information), that KIA picked this up on their records, and told me how to get them sorted - I did free of charge.

Clearly, it's not the dealers' responsibility to know if your car needs things looking at. And I imagine they have no way of knowing anyway. Moreso if buying from a non-KIA dealer, as was my case.

I hope this info might be of use to some of you - at least to those buying used KIAs.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If a manufacturer wants to recall there cars or bikes then they get who's the owners info from DVLA. Then send you letters to say take to dealer get it sorted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I understand it, the grey area is "known issues" which doesn't involve "safety", and doesn't involve notifying DVLA. If this is the case, then KIA is "going the extra mile". Bear in mind, I'm still very much a novicewith all thingsKIA, and to a fair extent I've never taken much interest in cars beyond "fill it up, Mot&Service", so I'm only passing on information as and when I get it. It seemed a reasonable explanation from KIA, but knowing I should also be notified by DVLA is nice to know too. Thanks! Hopefully it will never arise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts