Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 eNiro3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took delivery of a new eNiro3
Love the regen braking, have it on max and use the paddles as much as possible.
Have noticed that following vehicles seem to come onto me quite quickly when I use the regen.
Question - Do the brake lights come on under regen?

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
402 Posts
Does it so single pedal driving, apologies I don’t know the specifics of the model. If so, regen on lift off may not trigger brake lights

·
Super Moderator
9,536 Posts
Under certain levels of regen they do.

But there are times when not using regen can benefit you. As you are then coasting rather than using EV power due to regen kicking in.
Also you get regen when you brake normally as Niro uses blended braking.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Driving at night I have watched what happens to brake lights using regen instead of the brake pedal.
I normally leave my regen on the lowest setting and then use the paddle progressively to brake if I think I need to slow down more quickly (can you slow down quickly?)
In the dark, you can see in the mirror when the brake lights come on.
They don't come on the moment you put the regen on max, but come on when the car starts to brake harshly.

·
Registered
2022 eNiro3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I have had two Mitsubishi outlander phev over the past six years so I am a convert on re gen and lift and coast to get max economy, so pleased to hear that brake light comes on. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
On 3, watching the mirror at night, level 3 regen, left to it's own devices, seems to show the brake lights at a point between 40 and 50 mph when slowing from around 60-70.

It seems to be something that may vary according to current driving circumstances and maybe even a bit of AI that is trying to interpret traffic conditions somehow.

Also which systems are in use.

I was following a car yesterday that was some way ahead and turning left off a main road. 50 limit main road. I was far enough back to maintain my speed as he turned off but just as he was halfway through his left turn (i.e. clearing the road ahead of me) the accident warning suddenly kicked in for a very brief emergency stop attempt before realising it was unnecessary. I was quite surprised.

However, it is a staggered junction crossroads with a pedestrian reservation and bollards on a wide non-dual carriageway road just about where the system kicked in so it may have been a combination of circumstances that led to the extremely brief attempt at an emergency stop. People behind me may have been a little surprised had there been any close enough.

Fortunately I was alone in the car. Had my wife been there I think words may have been exchanged.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
293 Posts
Just a cut and paste from some notes that I made when investigating for myself. (Also confirmed by sightings of reflections and use of a Bluetooth OBDB2 adaptor with Car Scanner Pro which shows the brake lights)
Paste:
Regenerative Braking - Brake/stop light
Uniform provisions concerning the approval of passenger
cars with regard to braking

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2018/R013hr4e.pdf

5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17. of this Regulation, which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:
Vehicle decelerationsSignal generation
≤ 0.7 m/s² (1.56 mph/s)The signal shall not be generated
> 0.7 m/s² and ≤ 1.3 m/s²The signal may be generated
> 1.3 m/s² (2.91 mph/s)The signal shall be generated
In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0.7 m/s²

Also Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) (flashing brake lights rapidly) where deceleration is >6 m/s2 and speed >31mph (50km/h), discontinued when deceleration drops below 2.5 m/s2

My conversions from m/s² to mph/s:-
1 m/s = 2.237 mph
g = 9.80665 m/s² (so only ESS reaches any noticeable g at ~0.61g)

Some useful stuff of lights generally https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

·
Super Moderator
9,536 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts