Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having checked the engine oil on my new 2021 Sportage 1.6mhev Diesel Hybrid AWD (in which the oil is in the normal ‘C’ range on the dipstick), I thought I would buy some oil online to have in stock for ‘topping up’ purposes should it be needed.

Having read in the owner’s handbook, that Kia recommends ‘Total Quartz’ oils, I paid a trip over to Total’s UK website. After inputting my car reg number, it returned the fact that the following ‘Low Saps’ oil is the recommended one for my car:

Total Quartz INEO MDC 5W-30

QUARTZ INEO MDC 5W-30 | Lubricants catalogue for the Total and Elf brands

Great I thought, however, this stuff seems to be like the proverbial ‘rocking horse droppings’ to find online. The only place selling it seems to be suppliers on e-bay from Germany and Lithuania!

The problem is also putting my car number (or even car spec into generic places like Halfords website) doesn’t return any results at all. Or using such as Mobil’s website, it returns a 0W-20 SAE oil which I thought maybe a touch ‘thin’ when the recommended oil is a 5W-30 oil.

So, what oil are people here-abouts using to top up?

I don’t want to give Kia any excuse to invalidate the warranty by using oil which doesn’t meet Kia’s obviously ‘exacting standards’, but they are sure making it difficult to hunt down the correct oil!

I will be getting fleeced at the main dealer at this rate!

·
Registered
48 Posts
After having checked the engine oil on my new 2021 Sportage 1.6mhev Diesel Hybrid AWD (in which the oil is in the normal ‘C’ range on the dipstick), I thought I would buy some oil online to have in stock for ‘topping up’ purposes should it be needed.

Having read in the owner’s handbook, that Kia recommends ‘Total Quartz’ oils, I paid a trip over to Total’s UK website. After inputting my car reg number, it returned the fact that the following ‘Low Saps’ oil is the recommended one for my car:

Great I thought, however, this stuff seems to be like the proverbial ‘rocking horse droppings’ to find online. The only place selling it seems to be suppliers on e-bay from Germany and Lithuania!

The problem is also putting my car number (or even car spec into generic places like Halfords website) doesn’t return any results at all. Or using such as Mobil’s website, it returns a 0W-20 SAE oil which I thought maybe a touch ‘thin’ when the recommended oil is a 5W-30 oil.

I don’t want to give Kia any excuse to invalidate the warranty by using oil which doesn’t meet Kia’s obviously ‘exacting standards’, but they are sure making it difficult to hunt down the correct oil!

The refiner of the oil is irrelevant.. check the owners manual to see if it requires C1,2,3, 4 or 5 specification. as to whether mineral, semi of fully synthetic oil is required, and that you obtain the correct grade

·
Registered
286 Posts

I got a litre of that Quartz oil from Amazon

Or 5 litres

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The refiner of the oil is irrelevant.. check the owners manual to see if it requires C1,2,3, 4 or 5 specification. as to whether mineral, semi of fully synthetic oil is required, and that you obtain the correct grade
Sorry, I should have mentioned, the owner handbook specifies C5 or C2 or C3.

The 'recommended' Total Quartz oil is both C2 and C3 apparently.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a litre of that Quartz oil from Amazon

Or 5 litres

Your links point to Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W-30 C3 oil, which according to Total UK does not meet the Kia specification.

It apparently needs to be Total Quartz Ineo MDC 5W30 C3 which (according to both Total and now Kia UK on live chat) is the only one to meet Kia's specification for my engine. However Total couldn't tell me where I could order it from in the UK.

What the difference is I wouldn't know, but I would like to get the right stuff that they approve - might just save any warranty difficulties down the line!

Kia couldn't specify any other oil manufacturer who makes oil to their specification either.

It used to be so much easier in years past - just bang some Castrol GTX or Duckhams Q in and away i went! Now every manufacturer seems to specify oil to their own exacting standards. Which, in this case looking for the extinct Dodo would be an easier task!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to add to your misery... the only thing i can see on this oil is that its low SAPS which is low ash to reduce the build up in your DPF, nothing unusual about this and have been common for a number of years

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your links point to Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W-30 C3 oil, which according to Total UK does not meet the Kia specification.

It apparently needs to be Total Quartz Ineo MDC 5W30 C3 which (according to both Total and now Kia UK on live chat) is the only one to meet Kia's specification for my engine. However Total couldn't tell me where I could order it from in the UK.

What the difference is I wouldn't know, but I would like to get the right stuff that they approve - might just save any warranty difficulties down the line!

Kia couldn't specify any other oil manufacturer who makes oil to their specification either.

It used to be so much easier in years past - just bang some Castrol GTX or Duckhams Q in and away i went! Now every manufacturer seems to specify oil to their own exacting standards. Which, in this case looking for the extinct Dodo would be an easier task!
Kia's website is somewhat less restrictive

ACEA C2/C3 5/W30 is all it stipulates, unless I've missed something

Having checked my Owner's Manual, Page 9:8 says

Kia Recommends Total Quartz, and then specifies ACEA C2/3 5W30. It doesn't stipulate a particular version of Quartz, or even stipulate Total Oils, merely a recommendation. They can hardly complain if simple folk like me follow the advice of the owner's Manual, as long as the oil specification is adhered to

·
Registered
397 Posts
The holy grail :). You can tie yourself in knots. You'll not get a dealer oil change until 2 years.
My 2.0 Ltr diesel specifies Full Synthetic C3 which is low ash.
Dealers tend to put in whatever they buy in bulk at the right price.
Castrol Edge Professional fully synthetic was the recommended brew at a very expensive price and not that easy to source. It is on Ebay but for me there is potential for counterfeit.
I've not been able to ascertain the difference between the Professional and the 'Non Professional' brew which is cheaper.
All my time of owning Kias no one has put in Total oil despite the handbook and associated stickers.
Try the supplying dealer and see what their parts staff recommend to put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You know, the simplest way to get a litre of oil?
Phone your lovely Kia dealer parts dept and give them the reg number, and they will supply 1 litre which will be correct, and it doesn't cost a fortune. I just got a litre for my petrol sportage for £9.50 inc vat.
Simples. I wanted some for topping up as it had used about 600 ml in the first 7000 miles, just before the 1st service.

·
Registered
355 Posts
As has been said, you won't need any "topping up" oil.
If your oil ever needs "topping up" then you have a problem - in which case it's leaking or burning it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As has been said, you won't need any "topping up" oil.
If your oil ever needs "topping up" then you have a problem - in which case it's leaking or burning it.
So far my Sportage hasn’t ‘lost or burnt’ oil. However, when I owned the 1.0 litre turbo cee’d. It most def did use oil and there were no leaks. Even spoke to dealership about it and they checked it over and said no leaks but confirmed it was normal to occasionally have to top oil up on some engines.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Kia, like all manufacturers publish "acceptable" oil consumption limits for the purposes of covering themselves for warranty. But any oil consumption is not acceptable on a modern engine unless it's really high mileage & tired.

A fractional drop between services is probably ok but nowhere near to the point where it should require topping up.

On your cee'd if it wasn't leaking then it was burning it.
I've not had to top up oil on any engine since my 2002 Zafira and that had some 170,000 miles by the time I'd finished with it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
on my petrol sportage it used 0.5l oil in first year and has'nt used any since, i seem to remember i posted about it then. several other people reported similar experience.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
Never lost any oil on either of my diesel Sportages. I do check it regularly, but no longer keep any oil at home.
Do modern oils have a limited life span when stored?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just stick synthetic 5/W30 in it. How is the service monkey at the dealers going to know what type oil you topped up with after you have put in a small percentage diluted with the original oil...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts