Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my daughter's Picanto 3 in for its 1st (12 month) service yesterday. Its only done 1803 miles but they still replaced the oil and filter.

I was told that there is a "recall" on some new Picantos for a part to be replaced, hers is one of them so the part has been ordered.

Not sure what the part is or what it is for but it is not safety related. The man on the front desk said it was a throttle body but the technician that serviced the car said it was a control unit. So I am none the wiser.

Also asked for a sat nav update but after checking the version when they had done it it still had the old one installed. Eventually got the correct one but it took them another 2 attempts to for the correct one to be installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Took my daughter's Picanto 3 in for its 1st (12 month) service yesterday. Its only done 1803 miles but they still replaced the oil and filter.

I'm not happy reading that, ItsOnlyMe! I too will have probably clocked up low mileage in my Optima 3 when that KIA service time phone will ring!

There is no way the oil and filter needed to be changed in your daughter's car if the oil has only been in the engine for 1800 miles! If KIA are just going to follow 12-month service procedure as if the car had done 12,000 miles regardless of whether or not it has done is quite appalling. I suppose they then charged you for this needless operation? £119 I believe it is for an oil change (inc VAT + lab) is that correct!

There is some discrepancy about voiding our warranties by refusing to have our cars KIA serviced at the allotted time. Sort of held to ransom over it, its beginning to stink a bit around here if this is true! :plain:

·
Registered
581 Posts
To be honest although ours is low mileage I was quite happy to have the oil & filter replaced at the 12 month service. I recall reading that in a lower mileage engine the oil stands more chance of being contaminated therefore it's prudent to change it. I actually asked if it was to be changed before I bought service plan & the fact it would be swung it for me.
Personally I'm happy with it getting a nice clean oil & a new filter & wouldn't have been happy if it hadn't.

ItsOnlyMe, they replaced a bracket on ours at Service time (it's a 1.25 auto), I wonder if that's the same recall?

·
Super Moderator
3,302 Posts
There is no way the oil and filter needed to be changed in your daughter's car if the oil has only been in the engine for 1800 miles!
Low mileage is going to mean more moisture in the oil... As it is often not getting up to temp to burn any condensation off.

·
Registered
519 Posts
What does Kia’s official maintenance schedule require?
I bought the Kia 3 year service plan for my Optima, and the first and third are effectively only inspections (unless a high mileage has been covered), so don’t include an oil change. Supplying dealer Arnold Clark offered their own service plan at higher cost, which includes oil change irrespective of mileage. Many manufacturers now seem to require oil changes on diesels to be 2 years or 18-20 thousand miles whichever comes first, rather than yearly.
Of course, I can always pay extra for an oil change if I want to I guess, when the time comes

·
Registered
581 Posts
The official KIA service plan for the Picanto specifies an oil & filter change each year. I know that because I checked into it with KIA before buying the plan.
I don't know what it is for an Optima.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks Kismet, that’s as I recall from our previous Picantos - that’s the difference between diesel and petrol engines I guess. You have to go with the manufacturers schedule if you want to maintain the warranty

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the oil changed on my Optima, because it was jet black in colour and gritty to the touch.
It depends on the interval between changes, I always go on the state of the oil quality. Fresh oil is like a golden colour, and the oil used in diesel engines has a higher amount of detergent in it to cope with the amount of byproducts of combustion. Oil in diesel engines goes black very quickly within 1,000 miles . I had my oil changed every 5,000 miles on my old cars, I would not leave it much longer than that. Once the oil has gone jet black, it becomes more like an abrasive.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose they then charged you for this needless operation? £119 I believe it is for an oil change (inc VAT + lab) is that correct!

:plain:
It didn't cost anything. We have a Kia Care 3 year service plan which came free with the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It didn't cost anything. We have a Kia Care 3 year service plan which came free with the car.
Oh good, glad to hear it you had me worried for a second there! That's more like the KIA Service Dept I like to hear about. They gave me a free full service when I bought Optibabe from them including an oil change and brake fluid change. They also gave her a free wash and full valet.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I had the oil changed on my Optima, because it was jet black in colour and gritty to the touch.
It depends on the interval between changes, I always go on the state of the oil quality. Fresh oil is like a golden colour, and the oil used in diesel engines has a higher amount of detergent in it to cope with the amount of byproducts of combustion. Oil in diesel engines goes black very quickly within 1,000 miles . I had my oil changed every 5,000 miles on my old cars, I would not leave it much longer than that. Once the oil has gone jet black, it becomes more like an abrasive.
You can change your oil and/or filter as often as you wish but your reasoning is very mid-20th century. Modern, fully-synthetic oils last for years and it is only after being persuaded by the chemists who formulate these lubricants and millions of miles of testing, that car makers have felt able to extend service intervals.

For those who disagree with the scientists, then they are at liberty to pay for unnecessary oil changes for their personal peace of mind. KIA warrant their engines for 7 years with extended intervals between oil changes and they would not risk having to replace engines if they thought for a moment that such failures might occur.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KiaUK

It's always good to hear when people get good deals, we are always hearing about the faults etc.

My daughter got quite a good deal on her Picanto when she bought it last year.
It came with 1 years insurance, which covered me as well, a space saver spare wheel kit, 3 year service plan, carpet mats and a tank full of petrol.

I think she did well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Indalo, I agree with your comments - most modern ‘synthetic’ oils are highly refined and contain up to 20% or so of additives designed to absorb harmful combustion products etc, plus viscosity index extenders and so on.
What slightly puzzles me currently is why most manufacturers now seem to have extended oil/filter change on diesels to every 2 years (or 20,000 miles or so), but not on petrol engines.
I’ll research this a little further when I have time, unless someone can save me the trouble?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Indalo , Times have changed since I worked for a oil company in the late 1970,s.
I was educated about engine oils , mineral based they were back then .
The history of engine oils is of interest . Many years ago monogrades were used. You had a winter oil 30 SAE and a summer grade of 50 SAE, later multigrades were devoloped hence the 20/50 SAE .The industry has moved on again with synthetic oils now used.
The oil grades have got thinner over time now some are only 30 SAE highest viscosity. This was done to improve fuel economy, by reducing the drag effect on internal engine components. I am still going to stand by my post here with what I have said. Once the oil has gone jet black it needs changing ,you may leave it in your engine for longer, but I do not advise it.

I am getting on for 60 now, and I have owned many cars over the years, never had any engine problems.You are not wasting your money by regular oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
All of this is just arm waving. The service booklet which came with the car has clear wording on service intervals

Every service booklet I have ever seen has statements like "1st Service: After xxxx miles or yy months." "2nd service: xxxx miles or yy months since last service" etc. (There might be exceptions for those up market cars which have service requirements determined by the ECU and a "Service" indication is given on the dash depending on how the car is driven)

For each given service (1st, 2nd etc.) the manufacturer specifies what is to be done. It matters not a jot what your previous experiences are, what some internet oil expert says, what bloke down the pub says or how much arm waving you feel like doing, just follow the manufacturer's instruction and keep the Warranty intact.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You are not wasting your money by regular oil and filter changes.
It is money wasted if you own a car used regularly in the prevailing conditions of the UK yet choose to change the engine oil more frequently than the the manufacturer has specified. As I indicated previously, if you choose to perform that task or have it performed for you 'just for peace of mind' then that is your prerogative.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Turnup, I think you have a good point - making sure warranty conditions are met must be a primary consideration, but if an owner wishes to change oil/filter more frequently than manufacturers standard then surely that is his prerogative. In my manual, whilst the standard for the Optima diesel is 2 years, there are provisos on high mileage and low mileage stop/start usage maybe requiring more frequent changes. It is the owners responsibility to check fluids regularly, and top up or renew as necessary. I’ll decide whether or not to request an oil/ filter change at my car’s first service depending on the usage I’ve made and how the oil looks on the dipstick at that time.
Can I clear up one possible misunderstanding about the use of the word synthetic in this context. The source of the hydrocarbon base remains mineral, that is to say, the distilled crude petroleum fractions have been further highly refined to remove impurities etc then recombined, together with additives to give a closely controlled final specification, or it may be the product(s) from a natural gas or NGL middle distillates synthesis process. In both cases the raw material has still come out of the ground, and I’ve always felt the word synthetic is slightly misleading. This in no way detracts from the space age technology and engineering which now goes into modern engine oils, which, as a chartered chemical engineer with over 45 years experience in the international oil and gas industries, I can fully appreciate.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Oh good, glad to hear it you had me worried for a second there! That's more like the KIA Service Dept I like to hear about. They gave me a free full service when I bought Optibabe from them including an oil change and brake fluid change. They also gave her a free wash and full valet.
How do you know that they changed the brake fluid?

Usually, they just tick the box, but don't do anything at all.

Or, just put new brake fluid in the brake reservoir, and leave all the old fluid in the system.

If you are very, very, exceptionally lucky, then they will have flushed the entire system brake system.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I’ll decide whether or not to request an oil/ filter change at my car’s first service depending on the usage I’ve made and how the oil looks on the dipstick at that time.
Col, the oil on the dipstick will be black; if you change it for fresh oil, after 100 miles, probably less, it too will be black. I'm afraid the colour is is not at all indicative of the lubricating properties.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts