Kia Owners Club Forum banner
141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
For everyone's information I reported this issue to DVSA as it is potentially a major safety problem, think engine failure on a smart motorway in a live lane and the implications etc. It has been passed to an engineer there to investigate and I have given him details of my incident so will wait and see what they turn up!
it will interest to see what the results are. Keep us poste

·
Registered
33 Posts
??
as in post #125
I posted about my non 48v 1.6 crdi having work done on the tensioner/pully so it is not unique to the mild hybrid 48v, I think it`s more like the whole KIA/Hyundai range that has a 1.6 CRDI engine
And in your post you said it was done as a precautionary measure - you then sold the car 4 months later.

Did your car actually breakdown, develop the squealing fault then become undrivable? From what I read it didn't.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
And in your post you said it was done as a precautionary measure - you then sold the car 4 months later.

Did your car actually breakdown, develop the squealing fault then become undrivable? From what I read it didn't.
My post just prove KIA are fully aware of the problem and had taken a precautionary measure in my case to prevent it breaking down and engine failure, also highlighting the fact it is not unique to the 48v or the Sportage or KIA alone if there are Hyundai diesel 1.6 models suffering the same fate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My post just prove KIA are fully aware of the problem and had taken a precautionary measure in my case to prevent it breaking down and engine failure, also highlighting the fact it is not unique to the 48v or the Sportage or KIA alone if there are Hyundai diesel 1.6 models suffering the same fate.
I know it's not unique to the Sportage, the Xceed and Ceed forums have cases of this now. In the case of your old car I believe a bolt was tightened?

My understanding, and I am perfectly happy to admit if I am wrong, was in the case of the Hyundai cars - it was mild hybrid's (48v) versions having the fault. Do you happen to have any links to threads like this on Hyundai pages with non 48v cars suffering a failure. I am keen to be as informed as possible on this fault, as I may change the car if it's there.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line S Auto 2WD MHEV
10 Posts
it will interest to see what the results are. Keep us poste
So DVSA have come back with the following:

"DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended). Please find attached a copy of the Consumer’s Guide to Vehicle Safety Defects for your information and a link to the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-safety-defects-and-recalls-code-of-practice. The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom. Typical examples of this could be a sudden total loss of braking or steering.

When the issue occurred it produced a warning on the vehicle to the driver, the vehicle was also still able to be driven albeit with noticeable symptoms to the driver. On restarting the vehicle the issue was intermittent and initially not present and when reoccurred again produced a warning as well as symptoms again evident to the driver. During this time the vehicle was still able to be driven and control of the vehicle retained. The following day when it reoccurred you have confirmed the warning was present then the engine management warning also appeared but the vehicle was still able to be driven at 60mph without further concerns raised.
In relation to your comment about total engine failures it is our experience that when these failures occur the vehicle will behave in a similar way as if it had run out of fuel, would retain steering control as well as power assisted braking for several applications after which foundation braking system will still be available to stop the vehicle and meets the required type approval for failure conditions. The driver would also still have fully operational lighting systems to signal presence and intentions to other road users. DVSA have assessed all the available information and have concluded in this instance due to the above reasons, that your vehicle is within the designed type approval limits and the failure of the engine on your vehicle does not meet the safety criteria as set out within the code of practice for further action to be taken as this time. DVSA will now close this case.
While I appreciate you may be disappointed with the conclusion from DVSA and understand you may have expected this component to be more reliable, the serviceable life of the component is something you would need to address directly with the manufacturer."

Basically because I took action very quickly they don't think this is a safety issue and the fact that this is happening on numerous nearly new cars is not a problem!:mad: Should anyone disagree then feel free to contact the DVSA - [email protected], maybe when there are some of you who have had no warnings or dangerous near misses they might take notice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's dissapointing , we are also one of what must be thousands worldwide whose Sportage mild hybrid has suffered catastrophic engine failure following the crankshaft pulley failure , 5 weeks plus and no sign of getting our car back {not that i want it anymore as I won't ever trust it again}, Dealer admits that it is a common fault and i'm not convinced that a successful mod is available that will guarantee this won't happen again . We are disgusted with Kia the company, they say all the right things but actually do nothing , been in touch with the CEO a Mr Phillpot , but after a "so sorry to hear about it and i'll put it in the hands of a senior service advisor" we've had no help or offer of some sort of compensation at all . they are just hoping the problem is contained and doesn't get out to the mainstream press and media .
At this time we don't know what else to do , i have filed a case with the UK Motor ombudsman and am in contact with BBC radio 4 you and yours programme, absolutely appalling situation , we pay a lot of money each month for a car we haven't got and have been loaned a barely suitable car and are expected to be happy with that and not make a fuss .
Sorry for the rant but it is sooo infuriating that Kia won't acknowledge this issue and really try to address the issue of so many unhappy customers

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's dissapointing , we are also one of what must be thousands worldwide whose Sportage mild hybrid has suffered catastrophic engine failure following the crankshaft pulley failure , 5 weeks plus and no sign of getting our car back {not that i want it anymore as I won't ever trust it again}, Dealer admits that it is a common fault and i'm not convinced that a successful mod is available that will guarantee this won't happen again . We are disgusted with Kia the company, they say all the right things but actually do nothing , been in touch with the CEO a Mr Phillpot , but after a "so sorry to hear about it and i'll put it in the hands of a senior service advisor" we've had no help or offer of some sort of compensation at all . they are just hoping the problem is contained and doesn't get out to the mainstream press and media .
At this time we don't know what else to do , i have filed a case with the UK Motor ombudsman and am in contact with BBC radio 4 you and yours programme, absolutely appalling situation , we pay a lot of money each month for a car we haven't got and have been loaned a barely suitable car and are expected to be happy with that and not make a fuss .
Sorry for the rant but it is sooo infuriating that Kia won't acknowledge this issue and really try to address the issue of so many unhappy customers
i had an issue with Citroen 4 or 5 yeare ago, the car was in the garage for 4 months. I made a complaint to the financial ombudsman and they made they repay the finance payments for the months I was without a car. May be worth a try

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to officially reject their vehicles?
Pretty sure CRA15 you have to give the dealer one chance to fix the issue before you can reject. So some people may have case, others will really not. Due to the delay in getting parts.

End of the day rejection is with the dealer not Kia.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I took my non hybrid 1.6 2019 Kia Ceed into the service.

An update was done for the software which includes "tensioner" but as Kia paid I wasn't allowed to retain the paperwork. Mine is a non hybrid car. The service agent said they'd only seen the issue with Sportages, and when pressed only Mild Hybrid sportages - but a quick glance through the Xceed, Ceed section of this forum indicates a wider problem with the 48v engine. Same engine so why wouldn't another model of car have the same fault?

The service was fine - and I'd use the dealer again but they don't give anything away information wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I last posted on 18 June after my Sportage broke down while we were on holiday in Scotland, here's an update. On the plus side I'm pleased to report that Kia have now reimbursed me for out of pocket expenses totalling £470 that were incurred as a result of the breakdown. However this was only after the intervention of the dealer (Roadside Garage, Coleraine) who have been excellent in their response to the issue. As well as this they have provided me with a brand new Kia X ceed until my car is fixed.
On the negative side it is now over 6 weeks since the breakdown occurred and Roadside are waiting on a couple of parts to complete the repair, they have informed me it will be another 2 weeks before they receive them. This isn't their fault, as I say they have been first class during the whole saga. My belief is that the reason Kia haven't issued a recall for this tensioner problem is that, currently, they simply haven't got the parts and they're just hoping the issue doesn't occur in too many vehicles. Maybe they need to dedicate a production line to making new modified tensioners instead of trying to convince us all to buy the new Electric Niro.

·
Registered
2021 XCeed 3 1.6 CRDI ISG MHEV in Phantom Black
47 Posts
Hi
Yes mine is, not sure what the point of them are, but yes, the rac guy said there was a fix, but until they do a recall only cars with the problem get fixed, eventually!
My Xceed has the same issue and has been in the dealers since mid May, we could be looking September before the new parts arrive from South Korea and then the cars go through the workshop in order. I really would like my car back.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kia did a recall via dealer, on these.
But it appears that either some owners never responded or they were lease cars where the details were never passed on.
But it does also seem to still be affecting newer models.

My dealer phoned me saying they have a plan? I am halfway down the list but refused to tell me how long the list is! I complained there should have been a recall, he agreed there should have been but wasn't, 7.months old disgusting!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Kia did a recall via dealer, on these.
But it appears that either some owners never responded or they were lease cars where the details were never passed on.
But it does also seem to still be affecting newer models.

I actually contacted Kia CS and the dealer re my Sportage and both told me that my car wasn’t affected, and therefore wasn’t subject to the recall.

Hindsight indicates that they were probably wrong as I have read numerous instances of Sportages of the same age (70plate) going bang.

Sadly I lost confidence and swapped it for an Xceed, and not regretted that decision for a single moment.

·
Registered
2021 XCeed 3 1.6 CRDI ISG MHEV in Phantom Black
47 Posts
My dealer phoned me saying they have a plan? I am halfway down the list but refused to tell me how long the list is! I complained there should have been a recall, he agreed there should have been but wasn't, 7.months old disgusting!!!
I agree, I don't know where I am on the list - there were 5 cars off the road in May and now they have 16. They say there is nothing they can do until the parts arrive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was towed in 2 months ago I was told 6 in front of me 2 weeks ago it was 9? Now they refuse to tell me, I spoke to a kia service guy he told me the warranty work is pushed back because the get paid less for warranty work so paid work comes first!

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the 9th of September 2021 i was travelling in our Sportage GTS LINE 2021 Model 7 months old at around 70mp on the M1 in the fast lane near Luton when all of a sudden i lost all power and immediately had to hit the hazard lights and attempt to get over to the hard shoulder very frightening, eventually the RAC arrived and could do nothing for us apart from towing back to the nearest service centre. The car was dropped off late at night and i took the keys down the next day and to inform the service staff what had happened, i was first greeted with the words you haven't booked it in ???.

It is now the 11th October and nobody from the service centre has informed myself or my wife what the issues are and when they will be rectified the only information we have received is when we have travelled to the service centre and demanded to know what is going on all we got was the parts are on back order, how this could be is beyond me as the car has not moved one inch since being dropped off. We finally were able to speak to some one at Customer services who has informed us that The Engine Tensioner has jammed and caused damage to the engine, they may be able to look at it end of October or November as they are awaiting parts ?????.
I have since spoken with the service centre and asked for an update not letting them know what Customer Support has said to me, there response was that they would have to strip the engine down and send photos to Kia before proceeding.

Our last 3 vehicles have all been Kia motors but this will be the last Car i purchase from them, the car is only 7 months old and i have since searched other forums and found that there are numerous vehicles with this issue.
I find it doubly disturbing that a hybrid sportage which I bought new in early 2021 should put me in the same situation in July 2022, 200 miles from home. No forewarning of the issue which is well known to kia dealers. 2 dealers I've spoken had 8 and 7 of the vehicles awaiting parts for the tensioner repair. In 4 figures uk wide I should think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 69 plate, GT S-Line 48v auto diesel has suffered a similar fate. EM light has come on and the ISG light is flashing. There is a fluctuation in the revs over 2k. I took it to the local dealer today who confirmed it was a tensioner problem and several other were there with the same problem. They won't let me take the car as it would get progressively worse, and that due to a problem with parts it may be weeks or months before it is fixed.
They may be able to get me a manual Sportage as a replacement but this isn't ideal as I wanted an auto. Has anyone else got experience with hire/replacement cars and how I can get a like for like spec etc? And how long was it before your car was fixed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was under the impression that this defect was only applicable to the 1.6 48v petrol hybrid ? Could someone possibly enlighten me please as I would look at changing vehicle if it does apply include my 67 plate 1.7 diesel, which up to press has run without a fault!

141 - 160 of 180 Posts