Kia Owners Club Forum banner
121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am curious about this as I have a 2019 U3 1.6 diesel car.

The non mild hybrid version of this engine only ran for around 1 year - with many more 48v models being made - hence the higher incidence of the fault on the 48v cars.

If the 48v and non 48v share the same belt tensioner set up/bolts there's no real reason to expect the non 48v to be immune from the problem - unless the issue relates to 48v hybrid belt puting strain on the tensioner system.
I was informed that it was the case that the 48V version was causing far to much load to be put on the tensioner and therefore was the cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you, this has been a big help as they are trying to get out of the Hyundai warranty as I had it serviced elsewhere and don’t have a detailed enough invoice even though it has had 2 full services at the correct intervals.
It’s your choice when it comes to selecting where your car is going to be serviced and by whom. As well as being required to offer at least a two-year unlimited mileage warranty on all their new cars – regardless of any change of ownership – car makers in the UK cannot force a buyer to have their vehicle serviced by their official dealership network.
And that means they also can’t refuse to honour a new car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. It’s all part of an agreement called the European Union Block Exemption legislation, which has been active for many years and which, even though the UK has now left the EU, still stands.
However, manufacturers do have the right to set a servicing schedule for their vehicles, which must be adhered to. So, if you do choose to turn your back on the main dealer and go instead to an independent engineer or mechanic, make sure you have your service book stamped, ensure you keep records of any work you have had done and insist that approved parts and lubricants are used in any repairs, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines.

It sounds like your dealership needs to update it's understanding of it's legal responsiblities.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Re above.
Kia require a invoice that states parts used. Which I would guess Hyundai do as well. Which is covered in FAQ.https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/faqs/warranty/

If you use a garage other than a Kia dealership or approved repairer to service your car, please tell them to specify the part numbers on the invoice and keep this safe.
Warranty is under their terms, so long as it does not have unfair clauses. Which the above is not.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line S Auto 2WD MHEV
10 Posts
Cheers

My 71 plate CDti GTline Auto MHEV managed to suffer complete engine failure, injectors, valves, cylinder heads, rocker all wrecked by this tensioner issue. Bizarre thing is I heard the noise it made just before it imploded my engine about 2 days after I received it with 120 miles on the clock. Then at 4700 miles it made a belt slipping noise again, that sounded more like the air con on full then it lost all power. My car has just spent 81 days in the Ely EMG garage waiting to be fixed. The staff told me that the September 2022 devlery date for the replacement tensioner was shortened to July because Kia are taking them off the production line, but they also said they have 4 other vehicles with the same issue stuck in the garage with mangled engines.

EMG have been very good from customer service point of view and arranged for a Enterprise hire car within 24 hours which I had for the last 3 months courtesy of Kia. However, 3 months without the car I paid to have, which is considerably higher spec and better than the hire car, is a bit of a kick in the teeth for a car which will cost me £16500 for 4 years lease. Apparently the first year is covered with vehicle replacement, unless you have maintenance included on your lease.
I'm with you on the hire car being significantly less spec than my own - GT-Line S. Mine failed in May and it took a week to get a bottom spec manual petrol Kuga, it doesn't even have parking sensors or wing mirrors that can be folded (1st world problems I know) let alone the sat nav, cooled seats, smart cruise, wireless charging, keyless entry, sunroof etc. Kia Customer service have basically told me they cant give authorise me to have anything better as Enterprise wont have any and I am driving to the South of France in August so it will have to be in the Mrs's Mokka! dealer has said might be late August before they see the parts and that four others have since come in with a couple of others ahead of mine in the queue so realistically I will have been without for 4 months +. This is my third Sportage but I'm seriously reconsidering if I will look at Kia next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Kia Sportage GT Line S, 2020 plate, registered circa March 2021. I purchased it October 2021 with circa 4,500 miles on the clock. Only owner was the dealer who used it for commuting, so almost a new car.

At the start of May 2022 I got hit with the timing belt tensioner breakdown and my car has been sitting with the KIA dealer since then. I’m told the backlog on manufacturing this part is many months, and there are a number of other cars to be seen infront of mine. I spoke ‘off the record’ with the workshop floor manager at another KIA dealer, who gave me the run down on this issue, and it sounds like it could be at least another 6 months before the car is back on the road. Although according to the shop mine is in, they haven’t even finished taking apart the engine to see if this one can be fixed or if it needs a new engine. Even if they get a new tensioner, its not a new design yet, so the car might breakdown with the same part breaking after it is replaced.

Ive been using a Nissan Qashqai as a hire car, paid for by KIA. Sidenote - KIA wouldn’t guarantee a like for like and if it wasn’t for the guys at Enterprise rent-a-car listening to my request and getting me a SUV, I might have been stuck with a 3 door hatchback, which is pretty awful replacement due to my usage requirements.

So to get to the point, it sounds like my car could be gone for at least 9 months and I want to understand what my options are. I suspect KIA or their dealers aren’t going to easily offer up all my options, and this is one of those scenarios where you need to know what to ask for.

Surely it cant be legal for them to have a 7 year warranty and just take as long as they want to fix a car. There must be some cut off time from which it is deemed as unreasonable and they must offer you a new car as a replacement or something?
For arguments sake, what if they can’t get the part for 3 years. Do I sit with a rental car for 3 years?! 6-12 months with a rental already seems ludicrous. Am I entitled to a new 2022 Sportage or something? I don’t really want a full refund because the 7 year Kia warranty was a big selling point, but now I know the model has a serious flaw I might as well get a Honda.

P.S both KIA garages near me have about 10 each Sportages and Ceeds which share this engine, all in pieces in the workshops waiting for this part. This is clearly a massive issue.

Many thanks in advance for advising what my options are here. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would any kind member on the forum know if a 21plate Sportage has the same problems as the 19 plates with the camshaft major issues, Just looking at a 21plate at the dealership I purchased mine from, Hoping to go down the route of being sold a vehicle not fit for purpose, it’s been in the garage 3times in the last 12months for the same fault, now the engine has blown with 11000 miles on the clock, Think the 21plate is the 48v Mild Hybrid, 👍
MIne is a 21 plate and yes I have exactthe same problems

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Many thanks in advance for advising what my options are here.
Welcome to the forum, 'Sportageowner7654!'

While I understand why you seek information or advice with regard to your dilemma, I'm afraid that much as contributors to these pages might wish to help with their knowledge of the kind of problem you are experiencing, I would respectfully suggest that you need professional legal advice in the matter.

To that end, if you have paid a fee for legal advice in your car insurance policy, that might be the best starting point if you are to ultimately achieve success in what could be a long, convoluted process. Failing that, if you have no other legal cover, I would point you in the direction of Citizens' Advice as they have a remarkable database of information, pertinent to many aspects of law. At the very least, they ought to be able to point you in the right direction, possibly nominating a solicitor in your area, well-versed in motor-vehicle matters and the area of contracts and warranty.

The major difference between pursuing any form of claim on the advice of a registered solicitor, as opposed to following any advice suggested in these pages, is that a solicitor has a duty of care to you in providing advice and conducting any suit that may be required to achieve a satisfactory result in your favour.

Good luck with the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks , i am a newbie to the forum and am wondering if anyone has any advise /information re our ongoing nightmare with our October 2021 Sportage GT Line GRD Mild hybrid that has suffered we are informed, bottom crankshaft pulley failure , Basically the car was towed into our supplying dealer Marshalls of Ipswich 4 weeks ago and after investigation the fault was diagnosed, The RAC recovery man intimated that this is a fairly common fault with this particular engine and after some investigation of my own seems to have been so from at least 2020, Has there ever been a product recall for this fault
So after innumerable phone calls and much wasted time and stress Kia agreed to a hire car which despite being assured otherwise was not an automatic which I must have for my licence instead we were given a manual Vauxhall Corsa, which only my wife can drive .
It seems that despite pretty catastrophic damage to the engine, ie needing new crankshaft , cylinder head , valves and numerous other components Kia think it can be repaired rather than as I want a replacement engine , in the meantime we have been waiting a month for our car and have been told that parts are on back order and no date can be given for its return.
We loved our previous Sportage but this one has destroyed our faith in the product and shown the warranty and service backup to be severely lacking as we have had to do all the running in trying to gat some resolution .
Has anyone else had a similar experience and has there been any product recall for this fault?
Any info will be gratefully received. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am surprised and I stand corrected, my understanding was it was a 48V issue.
I think it is - I've been trawling this, and the Hyundai forums and not found one case of a non 48v car needing work with the latest U3 EU6d 1.6 diesel. All the cases are the mild hybrid's and from the various comments re dealer's it's a massive issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Kia Sportage GT Line S, 2020 plate, registered circa March 2021. I purchased it October 2021 with circa 4,500 miles on the clock. Only owner was the dealer who used it for commuting, so almost a new car.

At the start of May 2022 I got hit with the timing belt tensioner breakdown and my car has been sitting with the KIA dealer since then. I’m told the backlog on manufacturing this part is many months, and there are a number of other cars to be seen infront of mine. I spoke ‘off the record’ with the workshop floor manager at another KIA dealer, who gave me the run down on this issue, and it sounds like it could be at least another 6 months before the car is back on the road. Although according to the shop mine is in, they haven’t even finished taking apart the engine to see if this one can be fixed or if it needs a new engine. Even if they get a new tensioner, its not a new design yet, so the car might breakdown with the same part breaking after it is replaced.

Ive been using a Nissan Qashqai as a hire car, paid for by KIA. Sidenote - KIA wouldn’t guarantee a like for like and if it wasn’t for the guys at Enterprise rent-a-car listening to my request and getting me a SUV, I might have been stuck with a 3 door hatchback, which is pretty awful replacement due to my usage requirements.

So to get to the point, it sounds like my car could be gone for at least 9 months and I want to understand what my options are. I suspect KIA or their dealers aren’t going to easily offer up all my options, and this is one of those scenarios where you need to know what to ask for.

Surely it cant be legal for them to have a 7 year warranty and just take as long as they want to fix a car. There must be some cut off time from which it is deemed as unreasonable and they must offer you a new car as a replacement or something?
For arguments sake, what if they can’t get the part for 3 years. Do I sit with a rental car for 3 years?! 6-12 months with a rental already seems ludicrous. Am I entitled to a new 2022 Sportage or something? I don’t really want a full refund because the 7 year Kia warranty was a big selling point, but now I know the model has a serious flaw I might as well get a Honda.

P.S both KIA garages near me have about 10 each Sportages and Ceeds which share this engine, all in pieces in the workshops waiting for this part. This is clearly a massive issue.

Many thanks in advance for advising what my options are here. Thank you!
Great detailed post & sorry to hear you’re also in the same boat
What I’m quite amazed about is that Kia are not acknowledging openly that they have a massive and ongoing issue. They seem to be closing their eyes and crossing their fingers that the engine doesn’t fail and someone gets seriously hurt?

I got quite ‘lucky’ here as the dealership gave me a new Xceed plug in hybrid for the full duration of the repair. But I put them under a pile of pressure before getting it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had the same problem with the tensioner on my previous 2019 Sportage 1.6 crdi dct auto (non 48v,)
it was corrected on my last service due to a recall as a "precautionary measure" so the dealer told me, 4 months after the service recall i traded that vehicle in so can't advise further
At what milage did this happen - and was it the 134 or 115bhp engine?
the vehicle was a 134bhp and was in for t`s 20k service at the time

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think it is - I've been trawling this, and the Hyundai forums and not found one case of a non 48v car needing work with the latest U3 EU6d 1.6 diesel. All the cases are the mild hybrid's and from the various comments re dealer's it's a massive issue.
??
as in post #125
I posted about my non 48v 1.6 crdi having work done on the tensioner/pully so it is not unique to the mild hybrid 48v, I think it`s more like the whole KIA/Hyundai range that has a 1.6 CRDI engine

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
@Westcountryman trawling through the forums suggests your cars failure is a much rarer event than on the 1.6 CRDi 48V engines, they appear to be far more likely to be prone to this issue and seem to be in the majority.

Reactions: SFTphotography

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m very new to this so I’m just going to ask outright if anyone else has issues with crankshaft (tensioner) on this model? My dealership is telling me that they have 16 other cars in with the same issue at the moment, I’ve been without my car since 22 May 2022 and they don’t expect me to have it back until October. I need them to admit that it is a manufacturing fault. The car was bought new in July 2021 and has 10,237 miles on clock. Finance company are saying that because the car did not fail within 6 months of purchase, the onus is on me to prove that it is a manufacturing fault - very difficult when dealer who has it won’t give me that in writing. Any help very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line S Auto 2WD MHEV
10 Posts
For everyone's information I reported this issue to DVSA as it is potentially a major safety problem, think engine failure on a smart motorway in a live lane and the implications etc. It has been passed to an engineer there to investigate and I have given him details of my incident so will wait and see what they turn up!

121 - 140 of 180 Posts