Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think we just need peace of mind that this isn't going to happen to all these engines and some might just be ok.

If this problem is affecting only a certain batch of engines then I don't understand why KCS can't tell us that and reassure us.

My suspicion is that many are being repaired without the owner's knowledge when the car visits the workshop for something else, which I'm not really comfortable with.

The fact that there is a problem is becoming much more widely known, Kia should be more transparent and reassure the owners of the scale of the problem. At the end of the day an early repair will cost them much less than replacing an engine that has gone bang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 sportage 1.6 crdi isg 2 mhev manual
9 Posts
Hi Alan,
It's the not knowing whether my car is likely to have the same fault that's the problem, driving along wondering if the next slight noise you hear is something massive and possibly fatal.
The new car I have been given went back the following morning (last Saturday) due to the engine management light coming on, it was an 02 sensor which they replaced while I waited, they also did an ecu upgrade which needed doing. I can't fault the kia dealership, they have bent over backwards to make sure we always had a car to drive. Hopefully someone from KCS will reply and put a lot of people's minds at rest.

Am I safe to put my chassis number on here, hopefully they will do a check and get back to me?

Cheers

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally I would recommend you don't post that info here , but send them the VIN and VRM by way of Private Message

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,496 Posts
Check the gov.uk website for recalls. Should tell you on there.
It is worth noting the UK Gov is primarily for safety recalls, the Kia issue is what is deemed a Service Action. A 'Service Action' was appearing for some cars on the My Kia app that needed action on this issue, although I am not aware if this still applies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It is worth noting the UK Gov is primarily for safety recalls, the Kia issue is what is deemed a Service Action. A 'Service Action' was appearing for some cars on the My Kia app that needed action on this issue, although I am not aware if this still applies.
Good point. I have never had anything come up on the MyKia app, or even know where that info would display within the app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is worth noting the UK Gov is primarily for safety recalls, the Kia issue is what is deemed a Service Recall. A 'Service Recall' was appearing for some cars on the My Kia app.
Oh ok, that makes sense, the 1st car that went bang showed a service recall in the mykia app, the car I currently have doesn't.

I'll PM KCS with the vehicle details and see what they say, hopefully someone will come back to me. I'll keep you posted.

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good point. I have never had anything come up on the MyKia app, or even know where that info would display within the app.

Alan,
When I checked (after the engine broke) the recall appears in a large red square on the main screen that shows the picture of the car and tells you about the next service interval etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh ok, that makes sense, the 1st car that went bang showed a service recall in the mykia app, the car I currently have doesn't.

I'll PM KCS with the vehicle details and see what they say, hopefully someone will come back to me. I'll keep you posted.

Fingers crossed
Morning all,

I've just had a reply from KCS (very prompt I might add) and in it was the following statement:-

"I can confirm your vehicle isn’t included within the recall campaign and I’m unaware of any concerns that are requiring rectifying in the vehicle currently."

Hopefully this will put some peoples minds at rest who have the same engine, it certainly has mine.

Cheers all

·
Registered
307 Posts
Morning all,

"I can confirm your vehicle isn’t included within the recall campaign and I’m unaware of any concerns that are requiring rectifying in the vehicle currently."
Almost identical to the, also prompt, reply that I got

"With regards to your query about a potential service action on your vehicle, I have checked our system and I can confirm that there are not currently any known faults or outstanding campaigns for your particular model of Kia Sportage. Should your vehicle be affected by a safety recalls in the future then you will receive a notification letter from Kia Motors UK."

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Am I safe to put my chassis number on here, hopefully they will do a check and get back to me?

Cheers
Just for future advice. KCS only monitor their own section, so will only reply to posts in there, or to Messages.. They do not reply to other posts round the whole forum. (y)

Reactions: Spiker1968

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
91 Posts
There was a tsb for my steering rack that wasn't on my kia. It was pretty dangerous too. Only sorted when I brought it in to be looked at and quoted the tsb reference. Car had 3 kia services with this issue and wasn't sorted until I brought it up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There was a tsb for my steering rack that wasn't on my kia. It was pretty dangerous too. Only sorted when I brought it in to be looked at and quoted the tsb reference. Car had 3 kia services with this issue and wasn't sorted until I brought it up.
The service bulletin for the steering rack issue came out early 2020 I believe so it would not have been known about on your first couple of services. I mentioned the issue on my first and second services (2018 and 2019) but it was only on the 3rd service in March 2020 that action was taken.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
91 Posts
The service bulletin for the steering rack issue came out early 2020 I believe so it would not have been known about on your first couple of services. I mentioned the issue on my first and second services (2018 and 2019) but it was only on the 3rd service in March 2020 that action was taken.
It had a service late 2020 (october) and I had it in the week before for sat nav update and asked for any other known issues be looked at. The issue was still there when I picked it up. The mechanic I spoke to in the car park, off the record said " we don't do these unless someone complains" either way it should be a recall rather than a tsb. Mine locked up on a roundabout and almost sent me into the curb. When it's something as serious as the steering that's affected and can be resolved as quickly and cheaply as it can be. Surly it's in kias best interest to get it sorted.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts