Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My 4 went in for its first service on on Saturday. Was advised that there were 2 recalls on it. In trying to rectify them the dealer has advised that the keyless ignition has become inoperable and therefore engine won't start. It is now Thursday and they still can't fix it. Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello
My 4 went in for its first service on on Saturday. Was advised that there were 2 recalls on it. In trying to rectify them the dealer has advised that the keyless ignition has become inoperable and therefore engine won't start. It is now Thursday and they still can't fix it. Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?
Firstly, no, never seen or heard of this fault. Sounds extra nasty though :(

Secondly, do you know what the recalls were? Understanding this may help solve the problem, did the dealer actually perform the updates?

Initially it sounds like a software fault, therefore a complete reset or wipe on the head unit software and reinstallation is where I would start, but without knowing more details hard to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, no, never seen or heard of this fault. Sounds extra nasty though :(

Secondly, do you know what the recalls were? Understanding this may help solve the problem, did the dealer actually perform the updates?

Initially it sounds like a software fault, therefore a complete reset or wipe on the head unit software and reinstallation is where I would start, but without knowing more details hard to say.
To be honest Im not sure what the recalls are. I thought they mentioned air con but wasn't really paying attention as I thought it would be sorted on Saturday. Quick google check says that there was a recall on the e-call system. So could be that. However that recall is 7 months old and predates my ownership. my car is an ex demonstrator so would have thought that it would have been sorted before I bought it

·
Registered
48 Posts
To be honest Im not sure what the recalls are. I thought they mentioned air con but wasn't really paying attention as I thought it would be sorted on Saturday. Quick google check says that there was a recall on the e-call system. So could be that. However that recall is 7 months old and predates my ownership. my car is an ex demonstrator so would have thought that it would have been sorted before I bought it
I have had roughly two recalls since March when I received the vehicle. I don't believe there are any outstanding ones. Sounds like your dealer had not updated the Demo car you bought.

In terms of the fix as I mentioned earlier the head unit wipe and reset. One other thing came to mind is whether the dealer inadvertently reset the pairing between the car and your key. This can be remedied through the Universal Computer Interface under the dash (I believe that's how the thieves do it, so your dealer should know!).

Things to keep in mind is that this is your dealers problem, not yours. It's up to them to contact Kia UK and seek the solution, not you. All you can do is keep the pressure on and make sure you get a courtesy car and leave them with the vehicle.

I truly hope you get it solved soon, please keep us posted.

P.S. Don't let this spoil your experience, you bought a truly great car - just they have/had a lot of software issues with it, as with any completely new design the first years buyers are the beta testers :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had roughly two recalls since March when I received the vehicle. I don't believe there are any outstanding ones. Sounds like your dealer had not updated the Demo car you bought.

In terms of the fix as I mentioned earlier the head unit wipe and reset. One other thing came to mind is whether the dealer inadvertently reset the pairing between the car and your key. This can be remedied through the Universal Computer Interface under the dash (I believe that's how the thieves do it, so your dealer should know!).

Things to keep in mind is that this is your dealers problem, not yours. It's up to them to contact Kia UK and seek the solution, not you. All you can do is keep the pressure on and make sure you get a courtesy car and leave them with the vehicle.

I truly hope you get it solved soon, please keep us posted.

P.S. Don't let this spoil your experience, you bought a truly great car - just they have/had a lot of software issues with it, as with any completely new design the first years buyers are the beta testers :(
good advice. Apparently it is the E-call system as have just had webchat with kiaUK. Will keep you posted

·
Registered
48 Posts
good advice. Apparently it is the E-call system as have just had webchat with kiaUK. Will keep you posted
Cool. I have had that update and it did not cause any other issues. Nor did the second update. Smells like something the dealer has done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am having a nightmare with KIA customer service, told them of the wiring which sounds like its shortening when you try to start the car, the mirrors the headlights the window wipers all come on and off by themselves, actually quite scary. Their reply " Can you give me the mileage" my reply " So there is no misunderstanding, you as Kia representative want me to go and switch on the ignition to enable me to get the mileage for you. Even though I have told you that the electrical system was malfunctioning and sounds like sparks ie wires shortening, and all the electrical items were switching on and off as though they where about to blow up. You are asking me to put myself in danger and start the car again , is that correct." Kia answer "Yes can you give me the mileage" gobsmacked is an understatement. I believe the recall is "HECU" and they replace the fuse with a different voltage and update software. It was causing Kia to catch fire in America, although same batch of vehicles here there has been no fires reported in the UK, however I am now sceptical, when trying to find out if anyone else had a problem after the HECU recall KIA head office stated no. I have read Dans post above and now wonder how many other people where or will be in the same boat.
Sorry to hear about your issue. Don't think we had the same problem though. My issue concerned an update to the Ecall system. When they tried the update the entire computer system ceased and the key fob could no longer ignite the engine. After a week they did manage to fix it though. Hope you get yours sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts