Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just picked up a brand new GTLineS, the only disappointing thing with the car is the quality of he reversing camera, see below.
Output device Flat panel display Television Font Display device

Is this normal? We used to have a 2018 Picanto 3, the camera on that was poor, but not as bad as this. I was expecting it to be much better with 3 years of development and technological advances.
I've just fitted a cheap Chinese rearview mirror in my daughter's car. It has a forward facing dashcam and also connects to a rear camera. The quality of that at night is stunning, it's pretty much the same as looking in a normal mirror in daylight.
Surely Kia can do better than this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
check to see if it has a plastic film over the lens ,or has the shipping grease still on it .

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
28 Posts
I have a 2019 Picanto 1.0 TGDI GT-Line S.
The reversing camera on mine is clear day & night. I am happy with clear vision it provides.
Check your screen settings/brightness. Also check as the previous person mentioned check there is no clear transport cover over the lens.
I have added a osram led reverse light bulb on my car. Allot better then the standard bulb.
Makes a big difference when it is dark.

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
I find turning the lights off at lights helps as well.

But image quality will not be helped by the bright lights on the house.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
There isn't any film on the lens and after having had the Picanto 3, I automatically wipe the camera every time I walk past the back of the car. The LED bulb sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try.
And the lights outside the house, despite how they look in the photo, really aren't very bright at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have never seen my reversing camera look this bad ... it is like you have a thermal camera fitted instead of a reversing camera ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not great is it?
The picture below shows it with the house lights off. I don't think they were the problem.
We've spoken to the dealer and he has asked for some more photos, but I think we will be taking it back for them to have a look.
Television World Rectangle Television set Output device

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's not right - unless it's night-time. All cameras get grainy at night. Our 2018 Picanto GT lineS camera is clear and sharp in the daytime.

·
Registered
219 Posts
after doing FPV how these small camera's handle light is very dependent on the type of camera used, I doubt many manufacturers would invest in camera's that handle low light well given as when your reversing light is on and then your brake lights it will just blow out the sensor anyway,

seen as the reversing camera is not there to depend on, because that is what your rear view mirrors are there for

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
after doing FPV how these small camera's handle light is very dependent on the type of camera used, I doubt many manufacturers would invest in camera's that handle low light well given as when your reversing light is on and then your brake lights it will just blow out the sensor anyway,

seen as the reversing camera is not there to depend on, because that is what your rear view mirrors are there for
Which is why I always found turning your lights off helped the quality.

How did we manage before camera's 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts