16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now taken delivery of my Sportage '3' and have placed an order
for a new head unit, I would also like to fit a rear view camera. I just
wondered if anyone has done this and what sort of a job it would be to
run the cabling. There are two options as I see it, wired or wireless,
the latter being about £15 more and as I see it the easier of the two to
install.

I guess it would be too much to ask to expect the wire to be already within the harness ready for the camera to be installed?

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

Neil

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm about to do this.

There is no existing wiring that can be used.

If use the wired option, and you want the wiring to be hidden, I expect the job will be a bit like fitting the towbar wiring loom. The interior trim panels may have to be removed all down the near side of the car from the boot to the front footwell, although it might be possible to poke the wires through.

Whichever you use, the boot panel will almost certainly have to come off because you need to tap into the reversing light wire which is behind in it to provide a feed to the camera and the head unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a nice camera that fits into the licence plate light which is also night vision,I put one on order check this out on ebay 250855461491, I put a Kenwood double din dnx 9260BTinto my carand it looks great, go for the Metra aftermarket facplate it's the best colour match also it comes with the mounting brackets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you planning to run the cable from the camera to the head unit. I have had a look at mine and think that some of the roof lining will have to come down where the tailgate meets the body. This could be a potential nightmare, especially to get back on!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I looked at the number plate lamp cameras but, although it is easy to pick up the reversing lamp feed from inside the tailgate, there is still the problem of getting the cable across the gap and into the car, plus the problem you have identified with the head lining. A wireless option would be more useful.

I leaving the job until the weather warms up a bit when there is less risk of breaking plastic trim removing and refitting it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen this combination:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-Car-CCD-CAMERA-KIA-Carens-Borrego-Oprius-Sorento-Sportage-R-Hyundai-Sonata-/250956892477?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3a6e32493d

paired with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190635974194?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have chosen this camera as the spec appears to be higher resolution for about a couple of pounds. If you are going to do it you might as well have a decent picture! Total cost £32 including postage.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That looks like it might work without having to remove too much trim or do any drilling. I think it's worth going for the higher definition camera.

You just need to tap into the reversing lamp circuit for the power feed and find an earth. You will also probably need to tap into the reversing lamp circuit at the front of the car if you want the head unit toautomaticallyswitch to the reversing camera when you select reverse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just received the camera this morning and it is well packed, I don't know if it's a Sony CCD but I done a quick test using AV and the quality is surperbwith full 120rear angle of view, comes with a video & 2 12v power leads which will connect into the reverse light & 12v to the licence plate light,another nice touch is that there is afixed meter showing a range of 1' to 3' when reversing.I will work on bringing the remanding lead to the front later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think any alteration to wiring at the front is required, as the head unit switches to camera mode automatically as soon as there is a signal in the that input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may find this info handy, I decided to
install the rear camera yesterday afternoon as weather was ok, so here it goes,
remove the left foot trim on front and back doors, remove the rubber seal
around the rear door, remove the rubber seal around the boot but be careful
because there is a black sticky paste inside the seal, when you do this you
will see a gap that a coat hanger can fit through and will come out to the rear
door where it's seal was removed, bring the camera cable along the floor and up
to the end of the coat hanger in the top of the rear door, I made a small hook
in the end of the coat hanger and put the cable in it, from the boot side feed
and pull the hanger through and hay presto you have the cable it's so simple. There
is a rubber coupling that has all the wires for the lights in it so just remove
both ends and feed the cable through, I removed the old right number plate
light and replaced it with the camera. I wired the reverse light 12v to the
camera, there is another 12v supply that light the replacement number plate
right side so just connect to it's power. I have taking photos and are now on
flickr, here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmgroup/sets/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You my friend are a legend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Techno,What year is your Sportage, or more specifically, where exactly are your reversing lights located?
On the rear hatch door or on the rear body? Ours is a 2013 with them located on the rear hatch door. For 2015 Kia moved them to the rear fenders and I'm not sure if they were ever placed there on model years earlier than 2013.
You state there is a wire from the reversing light behind the boot side panel but what I'm trying to confirm is whether this is still the case even when the reversing lights are located on the rear hatch door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts