Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2.0L diesel sport 2008. I inherited it from my dad and adore the car.

He said he always had issues with rear tyre wear. I am about to replace the rear tyres again, I have done 12000 miles on them and are worn evenly. I changed the fronts at the same time and they have about half life left.

Does anyone else have the same issue? It seems strange that the rears are wearing out quicker on a front wheel drive car and also so evenly? Currently using Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3's but going to try the new 5 with a higher load index.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Very strange. I am assuming that it is front wheel drive. Even but excessive wear on the rears is certainly unusual. Even though the wear is even it is still possible that there is a suspension geometry problem so I would suggest a proper full on laser alignment (about £20-£30 per axle if adjustment is needed - you will save that on tyres in the longer run). I'm thinking of something like camber angle and tracking both being wrong where one will cause edge wear one side and the other will cause wear to the other edge.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All the pro cee'd models with the 17 inch alloys (the 3 and sport) have problems with rear tyre wear. The sports suspension on them is not geared up for the big wheels with low profile tyres on them - they wear unevenly on the inside of the tyre. A partial solution is to put non directional tyres on.

Reactions: Indalo

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
All the pro cee'd models with the 17 inch alloys (the 3 and sport) have problems with rear tyre wear. The sports suspension on them is not geared up for the big wheels with low profile tyres on them - they wear unevenly on the inside of the tyre. A partial solution is to put non directional tyres on.

....but the OP has even wear?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Currently using Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3's but going to try the new 5 with a higher load index.
It's pretty unusual for rear tyres to wear down their tread so quickly on most cars and judging by your comments, it doesn't seem to be a misalignment problem.

Nonetheless, for any inexplicable, abnormal tyre wear, I would always recommend a full alignment check before doing anything else.

Are the Goodyears on the car original equipment or a choice made on tyre renewal at some point?

Although I rate Goodyear tyres pretty highly, I have never been convinced about the benefits asymmetric tyre are said to provide on a typical family car. At the rate you are going through tyres, unless there is a fault found and rectified, I'd be inclined to switch to cheaper tyres.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Worn rear wheel bearings. Hard to imagine a worn bush giving even wear. Maybe the car has had a minor accident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts