Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When towing my caravan I find the rear of the car sits quite low even though the noseweight is only around 67kg so I wondered if anyone else has had this problem, andif anyone has fitted stiffer springs or spring assisters to their sportage for towing a caravan.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Im quite interested in your post as Im thinking of buying a caravan next year. What model Sportage are you driving, if you dont mind me asking and what caravan are you towing. I wanted to post a thread asking about towing for the new 2011 sportage but perhaps if your experienced in towing and driving the new sportage you may be able to help. Sorry I cant advise you on springs etc.

Wiggytheone

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wiggytheone My sportage is 2.0 Diesel First Edition and the caravan is a Sterckeman, its a light van only 1000kgs max weight, it was bought more for its width than the weight though so i can store it at home. The car tows it easily I dont know its there half the time the only problem is the rear springs seem quite soft and the car seems to sit quite low, I did see on the dutch owners site someone who changed the rear springs for the same reason but i'm thinking but the google translator was a bit unreliable.i may get away with spring assisters, i've used them before with no problems

·
Registered
437 Posts
If its a Genuine Kia fitted tow bar there is some adjustment to raise the ball and this helps lift front of caravn up but obviously makes no difference to rear springs, spring blocks will do just fine but im not sure who does them yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its a genuine Kia supplied and fitted towbar made by witter but no adjustment on it as far as i am aware, its a removable flange type though.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
There should be. If you look closely at the block that the detachable flange locks into, it can be bolted on to the flanges descending from the cross beam in two alternative locations. It gives about an inch of adjustment.
Edited by: Techno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts