Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have a 2011 Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel. I seem to have some sagging at the rear and wondered if anyone else has this problem? I don’t have a tow bar and the car has never towed in the past. I believe new springs might give me more height ?can anyone recommend which springs to use? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I cant reccomend any specific springs, but there are a lot to choose from, so look at the dimentions in the catalogs and choose a wire diameter and an effective height similar to what you have.
you may have to measure your spring with a vernier caliper.
progressive rate springs will cost a bit more but be better for most conditions unless you are allways driving fully loaded.
the cheapest springs wont be progressive rate, and will feel harder on the small bumps.

a website such as autodoc.de has many springs listed where you can see all the dimentions,even if you are going to buy locally or from a workshop. There can be quite a variation in dimentions for the same vehicleI.
I like GSK spidan, because the surface coating is good and they just happened to have had the most suitable dimentions for what I have required previously. If you consider your ride a bit soft then choosing a wire diameter about 0.1 - 0.2mm greater should be appropriate.

without comparing, the result can be lucky dip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant reccomend any specific springs, but there are a lot to choose from, so look at the dimentions in the catalogs and choose a wire diameter and an effective height similar to what you have.
you may have to measure your spring with a vernier caliper.
progressive rate springs will cost a bit more but be better for most conditions unless you are allways driving fully loaded.
the cheapest springs wont be progressive rate, and will feel harder on the small bumps.

a website such as autodoc.de has many springs listed where you can see all the dimentions,even if you are going to buy locally or from a workshop. There can be quite a variation in dimentions for the same vehicleI.
I like GSK spidan, because the surface coating is good and they just happened to have had the most suitable dimentions for what I have required previously. If you consider your ride a bit soft then choosing a wire diameter about 0.1 - 0.2mm greater should be appropriate.

without comparing, the result can be lucky dip.
Thanks very much for your reply. I’ve been advised to get springs that are 20mm larger in length than the standard ones to solve the sagging problem .
Could you recommend a brand or particular one I need? I’m not very mechanicaly minded and will get a mobile mechanic to fit them but just need a bit of help choosing the correct ones! Should I change the shocks too?
kind regards
Gavin

·
Banned
5,226 Posts
If yours is truly sagging, then fitting springs of the correct length will restore the ride height to factory standard. Fittting longer than standard springs will give a higher than standard ride height and this might be a notifiable modification - check with your insurer to understand if there are any implications.

Shocks will not affect ride height but yours might be weakened which will lead to poor handling. Shocks are part of the MoT test but the test standard is a little crude to say the least and provided they are not leaking then you really cannot infer much from the MoT result..

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The selection of springs on webites such as autodoc/ autodeler.co.uk are all OEM equivalents not upgraded or sports springs so there should be no need to inform an insurer.
A non OE spring dimention is something else.
Maybe OP, Gavinm , should take a look at another similar sportage and if you are satisfied with the ride height of that, then just replace the springs with stand ones.
I have taken a quick look at the art nrs 553503U100 and 553502Y100 which may be the correct nrs for this sportage, only a few of the springs are listed with the length and wire diameters, and the variation is minimal, only about 6mm in length and 0,5mm in wire diameter. I had expected a greater variation.
I put KYB K-flex springs on the front of a car a while back and the ride height ended up higher even tho the spring length was equall to the factory original. The K-flex had about 0.75 coils less than the original spring.

So to sum it up dont buy the Monroe springs, they have the thinest wire and may be softer. Mapco have a slightly thicker 12mm wire, 3mm larger diameter and may be just a shade stiffer.
The others brands appear to be all the same, 334mm x 11.75mm dia.

As far as the shock absorbers go, I would change them regardless just to avoid having to work on the car again. If you are intending to keep the car more than a couple of years you'll probably be happier knowing both springs and shocks are new. Should be 15-30 minutes each depending on how rusted the bolts are.
I have never been disapointed by a KYB product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.