Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had pic 3 a couple of weeks now and I have been playing with the sound system. I have found that the rear speakers are only about 10% of the sound in the system. Playing music just on the rear can barely be heard. Is this normal or has it got a problem. :glasses: Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure am - on front position = loud and clear, on full rear = barely audible, in mid point = 99% front. I wonder if the speakers have some manufacturer wrapping around them which is supposed to be removed by the garage before the car is sold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would really appreciate knowing the answer to this question too. My 2018 Sportage has the same issue with the rear speaks only being low volume. Can anyone help please ?

Thanks
Alan
(topbloke801)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same here (2021 Stonic).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same here 2021 Picanto GT
Was this from the start? Did you try resetting the head unit to see if it makes a difference?
Thats what i am about to try on mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was this from the start? Did you try resetting the head unit to see if it makes a difference?
Thats what i am about to try on mine.
Yes for factory setting I have tweaked settings towards rear, but the volume to rear speakers remains very poor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes for factory setting I have tweaked settings towards rear, but the volume to rear speakers remains very poor.
Is there a 'qlogic' or other sound processing option on yours?

·
Registered
224 Posts
One possible explanation , in the models that have the 6 speaker arrangement, is that the audio system has been set up to emulate a surround sound system. Emulate, rather than a full surround, as there is not a centre speaker, so the two extra speakers are designed to direct towards the centre of the dash

Car surround system

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Picanto 6 speaker system has speakers low down in the rear doors as well as in the front door low down and tweeters in the wing mirror covers,

The rears do sound quiet, but i guess this is exasperated by the fact you cant remove the sound from the tweeters to compare the actual fronts to the rears, which seems to give a fair bit of depth to the system when balancing to the front.

·
Registered
56 Posts
One possible explanation , in the models that have the 6 speaker arrangement, is that the audio system has been set up to emulate a surround sound system. Emulate, rather than a full surround, as there is not a centre speaker, so the two extra speakers are designed to direct towards the centre of the dash

Car surround system

I have an hypothesis which I am about to test tonight:

In the Rio before 2017 (and possibly other cars) there was a 'q-logic' virtual surround option. And in another thread elsewhere (which I will try and find again) someone said that when they disabled the virtual surrond option, the rear speakers were back working as expected and the fader front<->rear was also working as expected.

Now this "virtual surround" option is missing or simply hidden in the post-2017 Rio and Stonic models (and possibly others), and I wonder if somehow it is either pre-selected at the factory, or by accident.

And by accident, I wonder if the UVO app, which is capable of sending a user's profile setting to the car, is somehow enabling it.

So tonight I am going to perform two tests:
1) Enter the Engineering mode on the head unit and check the audio settings in tehre. There are several sequences to get into the Engineering menu, and there's more than one menu depending on the sequence. It will be trial and error.

2) Unlink all the accounts from the UVO app, reset the accounts on the head unit, then factory reset the unit.
Hopefully this will disable the virtual surround setting.

Obviously this is just an hypothesis, and might just not work.
If it does, I will share my findings.

If it does not, I must say that I very rarely have passengers in the back who want to listen to my music, and indeed as @KevG57 mentioned, the 6 speakers system if tuned for a surround effect does work better for the front passengers. So although wishing for this to be tuneable, I am also not unhappy with the sound from a driver's perspective.

Will keep you posted.

Reactions: phil866 and GarethR

·
Registered
224 Posts
Interested to hear (sic) your results fenegroni

For the record, myself, and a few of the other posters who have contributed to the comments on this subject, have models which are pre UVO fitting

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I'm getting nearer to "the truth".

Tonight I didn't factory reset the Head Unit.

The first thing I did was unlink my UVO account from my driver profile on the car head unit.
I then deleted and reset just the user.
This allowed me to validate if this audio balance thing was a transient setting: only being applied when a particular user logs in or when the UVO app connects to it.

Result: no change.

The second thing I did, however, gave me some hope and some reassurance too.

After trying multiple key/touch/button combinations found elsewhere on the internet (Hyundai & Kia hidden Android menu Engineering Mode and secret features of radio and navigation LG, Hyundai Mobis, AVN, Android settings, test mode, service menu, Windows CE. « Oviradio.cz - o rádiu ví) I managed to enter Enginnering mode!
The only combination that worked on my 2021 Stonic with the 2020 software was:
  1. Press the Setup button or choose All menus -> Settings
  2. Choose System Info
  3. In a quick sequence set volume using left knob to level 0, then to level 7 and press the right knob, then set volume to level 3 and press the right knob, then set volume to level 1 and press the right knob
  4. Password is 0428
And here is what I got:

Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Multimedia

From there, I chose Sound and here is what I saw:

Gadget Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia

Notice the Balance/Fader showing 1/1 ratio (I had it centred before entering this menu), Quantum Set1 (Quantum Logic is the surround processing, and my guess is 1 being Audience: see Sound settings (kia.com)

And Surround indeed is ON !!!
The power bass is also ON.

Unfortunately this Egineering Mode did not allow me to change any of these parameters.

I gathered this must be it.

I then connected CarPlay to my iPhone and went to watch a YouTube video with ProLogic II Surround encoded sound.

Through several sequences I could feel the bass from the rear speakers, and a soft surround when playing the back speakers information. Nothing incredible, but certainly made sense.

It now also makes sense why when I fade 6 clicks to the rear while playing stereo music, although the rear speakers are louder, it seems there's a delay in the sound of some sort.

Here is a YouTube video of the Dirana3 DSP... NXP IC SAF775x DiRaNA3 DSP Choi Seoul 20121122 Full version - YouTube

Now all of the above might be utter nonsense, but the only way to prove this would be to somehow access yet another Engineer Mode screen that allows these audio parameters to be changed.

This mode was so powerful it was allowing me to select TomTom non-production servers for live updates...

Reactions: GarethR and phil866

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good work Fene! Would explain why the bass can be overpowering at times then….

Is it easy to back out of this mode - just a case of switch off/back on again?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good work Fene! Would explain why the bass can be overpowering at times then….

Is it easy to back out of this mode - just a case of switch off/back on again?
Thank you!

To exit, simply press the back button top right corner.

Reactions: GarethR

·
Registered
224 Posts
“Now all of the above might be utter nonsense, but the only way to prove this would be to somehow access yet another Engineer Mode screen that allows these audio parameters to be changed”

I wonder if there is a ‘port’ somewhere (can‘t think of the correct terminology) to which a remote or suchlike can be connected to change the parameters?

I’m not about to take my unit/dash apart to find out though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
“Now all of the above might be utter nonsense, but the only way to prove this would be to somehow access yet another Engineer Mode screen that allows these audio parameters to be changed”

I wonder if there is a ‘port’ somewhere (can‘t think of the correct terminology) to which a remote or suchlike can be connected to change the parameters?

I’m not about to take my unit/dash apart to find out though :rolleyes:
Most likely.
The engineer mode screen does allow other parameters to be changed, just not the sound ones.
It has several options for reading form USB or dumping info into the USB, so maybe that's all that is needed.

I mean it is pretty usual for embedded software developers to use the peripherals already on the device and readily available for back doors into the system. After all, when developing hardware in the order of millions of units, every fraction of a penny counts.

Reactions: GarethR
1 - 20 of 20 Posts