Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hia.
The bottom dust covers/ gaiters on my ‘06 Sorento self levelling rear shocks are shredded, basically some worn rubber rings sitting uselessly at the bottom looking sad and un maintained.
Lots of shiny metal stem on show to make vehicle inspectors frown.

I had some shock absorber top dust covers in the garage , I think for the front shocks. KYB kit. About £20 ish.
I wondered if they would fit.
I raised the car with a 3 ton trolley jack, supported with 3 ton axle stands , unbolted the bottom mounting, levered out the bolt, realised I should have raised it further so it didn’t jump out to attack me, slid the dust covers onto the bottom of the shocks, upside down essentially, jacked car up so mounting hole aligned with extended shock stem, put bolt back, Bob’s yer uncle.
Looks great.
Luckily the inner diameter of the covers was a little bigger than outer diameter of the shock absorber body.
Cheap fix and far less painful than new shocks.
Made me smile 😊
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hia.
The bottom dust covers/ gaiters on my ‘06 Sorento self levelling rear shocks are shredded, basically some worn rubber rings sitting uselessly at the bottom looking sad and un maintained.
Lots of shiny metal stem on show to make vehicle inspectors frown.

I had some shock absorber top dust covers in the garage , I think for the front shocks. KYB kit. About £20 ish.
I wondered if they would fit.
I raised the car with a 3 ton trolley jack, supported with 3 ton axle stands , unbolted the bottom mounting, levered out the bolt, realised I should have raised it further so it didn’t jump out to attack me, slid the dust covers onto the bottom of the shocks, upside down essentially, jacked car up so mounting hole aligned with extended shock stem, put bolt back, Bob’s yer uncle.
Looks great.
Luckily the inner diameter of the covers was a little bigger than outer diameter of the shock absorber body.
Cheap fix and far less painful than new shocks.
Made me smile 😊
Cheers
Hi can you tell me what KYB are ? Any idea of the size/dia of the rubber gaiters?
Cheers Willy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi can you tell me what KYB are ? Any idea of the size/dia of the rubber gaiters?
Cheers Willy
Hia.
The ones I bought were
“KYB front dust cover kit , shock absorber fit SHUMA SORENTO 910075 “
as described on that auction site that sounds like Tebay services.
If that’s edited then a front shock absorber dust cover kit for that car should do it.
Be careful cos they are powerful shocks and when you unbolt them they will extend and may hurt if you get anything in the way.
Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I supported mine on the axlestands and let the wheels drop, you then need to put a bottle jack under the end of the shock to line up the hole to get the bolt back in....penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts before hand helps...they are tight?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts