Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Australia it's called a Kia Carnival and I bought it new in 2008, so I guess it is the 2007 model.

The left (as you look forward) rear (3rd row) seat is stuck, i.e. will not slide forward or back. It worked until yesterday, when another family member was trying to remove it and somehow did this. Looking at it from the front, the mechanism which is meant to be inside the tracks is somehow up out of the tracks, on both sides.

What can I do? I assume I have to get those mechanisms back down inside the tracks, but how?

Some photos are below. Sorry for the big downloads but I wanted to keep the detail.

Here is a photo looking in the back of the car, with the right rear seat (which is fine) in its furthest back position. The left rear seat is perhaps a centimetre further back than it should be:

Below are two photos of the two tracks on the left rear seat, taken from in front of the seats (i.e. facing towards the rear of the vehicle). The mechanism is somehow up and outside the track, on both sides:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The problem you have is endemic in Mk 2 Sedonas. I have a 2007 which had the rear seats fitted on the wrong side and jammed in when I bought it last year so the seat belts would not work and I am reasonably certain it went through its MOT at a council owned test station along with a load of other faults which they did not pick up on which gives me great disrespect for the whole lot of them including the garage I bought the car from, they are either idiots or corrupt. I also found some clever person had been trying to get he seats out and had removed various screws and even bent the brackets on one seat possibly with a crowbar and still been unable to get the seat out. A Kia main dealer told me they had not seen the seat problem before, the same dealer also told me they had never seen the oil pump idler gear failure on the 2.9Crdi which is also a very common failure. In their wisdom Kia installed close fitting plastic shrouding underneath the seats and to make things even more difficult the peices are all interlocked and cannot be removed to get better access to the mechanism with the seats in place. Your photo shows the rearmost claws in the closed position, these should be open in the position your seat is in tilted forward but this in itself will not prevent removal, it is the two front claws which are locked in. I assume you already tried pulling the grey strap which is attached to the front section release mechanism ? The front section is similar to the rear but has two claws on each side, these are prone to seizing up but there is a worse problem, the front mechanism swivels to allow it to tilt forward for removal but there is a system of bowden cables inisde the seat which interlock with the seat back to prevent the seat unlocking from the rails with the seat back up, this mechanism is atrocious, its good when it works but when it fails as it seems happens on older cars it makes getting the seats out without breaking plastic difficult. Hopefully you have not got the failure I just described, once you have the seats out you can line up the sliders in the floor mounted seat rails. I also have a Mk1 Sedona and although the seat mechanism can seize on these as well the mechanism is way better quality as are the seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't tried pulling the grey strap at the back - thanks for the suggestion! But it is a 2 person job (one person to pull the strap at the back, another person at the front to see if the mechanism moves), so I haven't been able to try it yet. I will report back when I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed! Thank you Bonod!

If I put the rear of the seat in the upright position, then flipped it down as I pulled the rear strip - i.e. do exactly what one is meant to do when removing a rear seat - then it popped out, after a couple of tries. It's kind of silly of me not to think of that before: I was too fixated on the other problem, that it could not slide forward or back.

Then I was able to remove the seat, and put it back in the correct position. It looked like the seat was in the wrong position relative to the sliding mechanism under the floor so I put it back in the correct position - I had previously taken photos so I knew exactly where to position the seat when putting it back - and all was good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this may be a bit late but I learned to release the rear "claws" you pull the strap or lever to recline the seat. Then fold it all the way back then slam it all the way forwards and the seat will spring up, hinged on the front catches. Then pull the seat release strap to remove the seat.

Also if this helps anyone at all my seats once fitted correctly would not slide forwards or backwards. Underneath the seat there are 2 metal hooks, which push a button on the sliders. I bent these outwards with mole grips so they would push the slider buttons in properly. Applied 3 in 1 oil to the sliders and I was sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts