Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to reattach the cord which releases the latch for the rear folding seats. Mine has pulled roght out of the seat back and has obviously been repaired previously. My Carens is the last of the previous models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a '54 Carens which has exactly the same problem, which leads me to think there may be a question mark over its build quality. However I haven't found any way to replace the cord save for dismantling the seat and re-attaching the cord. I findit easier to carry a long, flat-head screw driver which I insert in to the gap near the seat hinge and use to flick the mechanism so the seat breaks. Its fiddly at first, but after a few goes you finally get the knack.
Sorry its not the ideal solution, but it works and in the absence of any kind of owners/workshop manualits the best solution I can offer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you remove the palstic hinge cover, and lift the seat back cushion up a bit, you can slip on the new strap fairly easily, later straps are modified and stronger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have same problem and have just tried your suggestion. How?? Does the hinge cover pull down and off once the screw is removed? Also, just cannot find/reach the clip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

I've recently fixed this problem with my car.

I've a 53 plate 1.8 LX, so may vary slightly.

Standing in the door space you need to remove the hinge cover (1 screw).

Un-clip the corner seat cover, it's a sort of plastic fold.

Push up the soft cover and padding to expose the screw. remove screw, Cover slides up slightly then slides off. If you then push up the cover and foam you will see the metal lever with a slot in it.

It's probably worth pulling the lever so the seat back moves forward and makes it easier to work on.

If the original pull cord is stil in tact you will need to feed it through the hole in the seat and then slide onto the lever.

I didn't have the pull cord so I used an old lead off a toddlers high chair strap.

Onec back on the lever I also add a tie wrap to ensure it didn't slip off again.

You need a fair length of pull cord as when the seat is back in place it goes back in a long way.

Took about 20 minutes in total.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your help. It took a while working out how the plastic latched to remove enough of the seat cover but once that was done quite easy. Temporary job done with an old oil filter removal strap so will re-do it all soon. I intend to take pictures when I re-do so I can post links on here.

All best Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi - I had the same problem. (2004 Carens 2L Diesel auto). I reused the original strap but sewed an old key ring to loop over the seat mechanism. Watch out its sharp! Did it about 2 years ago and it has lasted. Hope that helps. Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts