Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've just bought a Kia venga, I've noticed that when I put it in reverse the rear camera doesn't activate. It stays on CD or what ever is on screen. The rear parking sensors don't work either. Anyone had this issue that could advise what could be the problem? Thanks a lot 馃憤

Super Moderator
Age of car?

Fuse OK?
Could be cable off gearbox or gearstick not picking up reverse selected.

Registered
A '63 plate with rear camera, sounds a bit odd.
The gen 1 Venga's 2009 - 2015 only got the screen with sat nav special order models from what I found when looking for mine. I don't rememebr seeing one with sat nav AND rear cam but maybe they just weren't around when I was looking.
Having said that the rear ultrasonic sensors should be working. Individual sensors can go faulty but if that happens you get a long beep when you stick it in reverse and if you do get that situation and need a new one, they are a pain to fit (been there, done that!)
Is it something simple like the parking sensor switch on the the driver kick panel turned on, as this turns off the reverse sensors and camera for situations such as towing. I can't remember if it has a tell tale light so could have been pushed by accident during valeting maybe or previous owner maybe didn't like the beeping and turned it off?
This would disable both rear sensors and camera if fitted

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was a really good question mate. I stuck it in reverse and they don't seem to be coming on. What could that mean? And now I'm getting suspicious as it's struggling to start in the morning even though I've been driving it everyday. Hmm

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A '63 plate with rear camera, sounds a bit odd.
The gen 1 Venga's 2009 - 2015 only got the screen with sat nav special order models from what I found when looking for mine. I don't rememebr seeing one with sat nav AND rear cam but maybe they just weren't around when I was looking.
Having said that the rear ultrasonic sensors should be working. Individual sensors can go faulty but if that happens you get a long beep when you stick it in reverse and if you do get that situation and need a new one, they are a pain to fit (been there, done that!)
Is it something simple like the parking sensor switch on the the driver kick panel turned on, as this turns off the reverse sensors and camera for situations such as towing. I can't remember if it has a tell tale light so could have been pushed by accident during valeting maybe or previous owner maybe didn't like the beeping and turned it off?
This would disable both rear sensors and camera if fitted
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Yeah the garage where I bought it listed it as having rear camera and sensors. Neither are working bit it looks like the reverse lights aren't coming on either. I need to have a word with the warranty ppl tomorrow. I've had it less than a week.

Super Moderator
Can you post a picture of the screen area?

Rear camera should be pretty easy to see. Usually above number plate & will be something you get used to wiping your finger over as you walk past to keep it clean.

Have a look round the rear bumper. You should see the sensors very easily.
2 small circles.

Registered
Do you have a manual way to turn on the parking sensors?

Seems to me that the reverse engagement switch is not working. They are usually a double switch so for both functions to fail suggests that it is the operating linkage.

Registered
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Yeah the garage where I bought it listed it as having rear camera and sensors. Neither are working bit it looks like the reverse lights aren't coming on either. I need to have a word with the warranty ppl tomorrow. I've had it less than a week.
If you are mechanically minded, the workshop manual suggests the reverse switch and connector is on the top of the gearbox near what appears to be the clutch lever. It says when in reverse the terminals should have continuity.
As you say the car is less than a week old to you, this is something that should have been checked before you had it with a half decent garage, so if they say they "serviced" other parts / did an oil change, might be worth checking they really did.
I'd also be going back to the selling garage (if possible) rather than warranty folks. Sale of Goods says you can expect them to fix it. Getting them to do it however, will depend how reputable they are..........and especially as reverse light is a MOT requirement for cars after 2009 (did it have a new MOT?).
Could just be a fuse of course but then that begs the question what blew the fuse. I've never had a reverse bulb blow in all my 40 year of driving numerous cars. Multiple headlight / tail light / brake lights but never a reverse light.
The fuses are behind the kick panel on the driver right hand side and the legend of what does what is on the backside of the cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Some little scrum bag kicked the mirrors off my new venga and my old jazz. So been trying to get that fixed. So to answer the questions i missed, yeah I've checked the fuse looks fine. There is a button to turn the sensors on and off. You press it to turn them off. Tried both on and off nothing with either. It might be the linkage. The garage said it was working when it left them. So dunno if there's much i can do there. Had a look at the rear of the vehicle yeah there's a camera to the left of the number plate. Thanks for all your help much appreciated

Super Moderator
Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Some little scrum bag kicked the mirrors off my new venga and my old jazz. So been trying to get that fixed. So to answer the questions i missed, yeah I've checked the fuse looks fine. There is a button to turn the sensors on and off. You press it to turn them off. Tried both on and off nothing with either. It might be the linkage. The garage said it was working when it left them. So dunno if there's much i can do there. Had a look at the rear of the vehicle yeah there's a camera to the left of the number plate. Thanks for all your help much appreciated
How you get the mirrors sorted. :mad:

Well you can prove they are not. So they need to stop fobbing off & look at the issue. If they have done some work on the car it is possible that they have knocked something that has stopped them working.

As far as consumer rights 2015 go, it is taken that the fault was there, regardless of what they say.

I鈥檝e owned the car for less than 30 days The Consumer Rights Act gives you an initial 30 days to reject it, if it is faulty, and claim a full refund from the dealer that sold it to you. You can also ask for it to be repaired or replaced

After those first 30 days you have to give the dealer a chance to repair or replace the car.

I鈥檝e owned the car for more than 30 days You're entitled to ask for a repair or replacement free of charge.

If the repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you're entitled to a refund. The car dealer can deduct 鈥榝air use鈥 from the refund after the first 30 days.

First six months If you take the vehicle back within six months of purchase, the dealer should accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer a partial refund or to repair or replace it.

If the dealer doesn't accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they'll have to prove this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How you get the mirrors sorted. :mad:

Well you can prove they are not. So they need to stop fobbing off & look at the issue. If they have done some work on the car it is possible that they have knocked something that has stopped them working.

As far as consumer rights 2015 go, it is taken that the fault was there, regardless of what they say.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help mate, you're a star. Would the garage be responsible for this when there's a warranty on the vehicle? Excuse my ignorance. Problem is I live in Gateshead near Newcastle and I got the car delivered from West Bromwich. They charged me 250 quid to deliver it then refunded the money when I'd got the car. So would the car need to go back to West Bromwich? Again excuse my ignorance. Thanks again for all your help. 馃憤

Super Moderator
Yes it would need to be dealt with by the dealer. Unless they are prepared to let another look at the issue.
Are we talking about a group that has garages all over the country or a independent?

This is one of the dangers of long distance purchases. If the dealer wants to look at it, you will have to get the car there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think they're a small garage in West Bromwich mate. Yeah I know but I got it on finance and there wasn't a venga in my area. Not the model I wanted with the mileage anyway. Cheers again I'll have to give them a ring. Thanks a lot mate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts