Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had any issues with these. I had one go faulty after driving in wet weather. Dealer put the car on computer and confirmed a faulty sensor which they replaced. Got home and next day a solid tone. Took the car back and for a day they tried to find a fault. Said a connection was not the best, so they tightened up and sealed but after driving in more wet weather the fault returned but no faults showing on computer.

Kia are now replacing all the sensors. Anybody had a similar issue?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
No, but I did notice while fitting a towbar wiring kit that some of the connectors under the rear bumper look very vulnerable to water/muck sprayed up by the rear wheels.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The main block connector for rear sensors and also the rear indicators is under the N/S/R of bumper right in line of getting sprayed with all water from the rear wheel. Sealing the plug sometimes works but if corrosion has set in(like yours seem to have) then its too late. You will need a new loom for the sensor/indicators. Replacing the sensors will not work. and make sure they seal the new loom plug with grease or something else adiquate.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good dollop of vasaline is always good. But if you do get a new loom invest. In a bit of heat shrink tubing to cover the whole connector and 2 or so inches either side.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
There are 4 and not quite around the corner but best described directly below the rear fog light.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a KX3 AWD ptrol manual.I was reversing onto my drive, I didn 't notice that the warning beep didn't soud. Result new garage door KIA can't find a fault. It did happen only once. They didn't seem to bothered. I have experienced several other faults with this auto everything car. Not impressed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Auto headlights operate in bright sunlight, came on yesterday, another vehicle took it as go ahead signal managed an emergency stop, bit shook up but okay though. Auto wipers will operate for no apparent reason, but not always work during falling quite heavy rain. Frost warning light came on in +12c temperature. I was told it couldn't happen, but it did. of course when the diagnostic computer is linked up it can't find the fault because the systems are working. but not always at the right time.Just like the reversing aids failing, so far just the once though to be fair, however itcost me a new garage door.I have had KIA cars for years in fact this Sportage is my eighth, I would normally recommend KIA to any body. Not so sure anymore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
KIA are getting what they pay for at their manufacturing plants it seems? - cheap labour, lack of motor industry engineering skills/experience, lack of knowledge of quality and quality control. And one wonders how many parts are made in China ? Chinese and the word Quality should not be used in the same sentence.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That is certainly true in many cases but the Chinese can produce high quality items, especially if those items are designed elsewhere. A lot of big name Western and Japanese products are made in China. iPods, for instance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, our First Addition Sportage has the rear park assist sounding permanently when in reverse. It has cleared on occasions but is on more than off. Kia request the car for a day to sort it out. It will be looked at the next time I book the car in for a service. No doubt it will have gone off and they will find nothing wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not an unusual problem for many manufacuters (how many people make PIRs?) The ones fitted to the Sportage and others are essentially sensors inside a plastic casing. when the casing gets wet or dirty it activates the passive sensor and sounds the alarm. All of the sensors are linked and should work in series and in parallel but this often does not get processed as quickly as you might reverse. It's life and Mercedes had much bigger issues with theirs!

·
Registered
448 Posts
This problem happens to all classes of cars, my last car was a BMW M3 coupe and yes the rear sensors played up sometimes. So i cant be blamed on where they have been manufactured, faults happen but at least Kia seem to be sorting them out or at least trying their best to find solutions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts