Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new member, I am so pleased with the reception and kindness of your replies.
Yes, I am am enjoying the Shaker immensely thanks apart form one very annoying rattle!

It is coming from the rear parcel shelf where it should have four clips pushed into the underside of the tray. These act as a hinge and also lock it into position. Mine has no clips!

My local Kia dealer just wants to sell me a complete new shelf/tray at £89 and is not prepared to part with any clips.

Can anyone please help me retain my sanity by pointing me in the direction of some clips to stop the rattle?

Than you .

JP (soulman)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is that the one with the small lift up section?
I had rattles in mine and found out that the two small round spacers that are glued on to the edge of the lift up bit had moved.
The two small glued on circles are there to wedge the shelf in position so it doesnt rattle.
I just glued thm back on with superglue and it stopped the rattle.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
your description dosent sound like the usual hard shelf. Check the security of the 4 knurled knobs on the underside where it bolts on to the body and slip a strip of felt in each closing gulley on either side of the shelf edge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tempest. Mine only has two knurled knobs to secure it to the body but the lift up portion has a sunken clip in each corner which are secured by little spikes.
Two of my clips are missing allowing the shelf to rattle up and down. As I said to Womble, there seems no option other than to adapt it somehow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really glad that I bought this car as it is a pleasure to drive but, above all, it has led to contact with some really nice people. If there are any rallies etc on for 2012 it would be nice to meet with some of you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
sounds like the design has been "improved" on the later ones!!!...lol. Frankly i would do away with the whole caboodle and have a go at making my own that just hangs off either side of the boot. That way you dont have a major dismanting operation to make the most of the space when you drop the rear seats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tempest, I know what you mean but I'm not going to let the b....r beat me. Tis a bit of a dodgy design, as you say, regarding a major dismantle to access the whole load area. I'll have to see what can be done and will let you know how successful I've been. Thanks again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The clips don't come separate and being they have fallen out it well be covered under warranty where it will be replaced with a greatly improved one, all be it a flimsy feeling one but much better. The MY 12 now has a roller blind type but not sure if they fit the older model

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou all folks for your tips and suggestions re a rattly rear parcel shelf. I have eradicated the majority of the annoyance by applying strips of self adhesive window draught excluder to the sides of the trim where the shelf rests.
It is very effective and does not show at all. There is only a mild chatter where the clips are missing and the dowels loose in the slots, but I am thinking of sweating some thin w/screen washer rubber tube onto the dowels to take up the slack.
Regrettably they wont fix under warranty.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Contact KIA direct and give them some stick,don't take no for an answer and don't take the dealers word on anything,most of them just want to get rid of the problem the easiest way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It will definatly be covered under warranty as it is a 'Manufacturing defect' the staples (stupid idea any way) have fallen out. Use those words too if your contacting customer services, it will help.

·
Registered
437 Posts
tempest said:
If you think about it, the Tempest has the subwoofer in the boot....... it makes no sense to restrict it with the rear shelf.... well done Sylo

But the subwoofer just creates deeper base and the shelf will hardly restrict extra base.

Think about it..... Boots never restrict the boy racers giant subs when they drive around with the windows up and you can here the BASE a mile off!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mr Kia. I spoke to Kia UK Customer Services yesterday. The young lady was unable to help and simply reiterated what the Milton Keynes dealer said, a new shelf was the only way out.
Despite my protests and mention of a Warranty claim, it simply fell on deaf ears and I was told there was nobody else who could help me.
I said that I will write to the managing director (and I will) stating that it is obviously a defect that needs rectifying, under Warranty, and I shall persist. ( Will keep you all posted )

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Do not give in at all, don't forget there is also an MD in Korea, just put the fact that a copy has gone to the head office and to whom you have sent it. With a bit of pressure they should sort your problem out as they should do, there is also Trading Standards which can be mentioned in any letter. Just give them all the immpresion that you will be a complete pain in the arse for as long as it takes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.