Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear noise that increases with speed. It’s a 2007 Sorento 2.5 manual. Bought it 2 weeks ago , the seller said that it was a rear wheel bearing but I’m unsure. Heard loads about rear diff noises etc. Just wondered which would be best way to determine whether it’s the bearing, sound doesn’t change when turning left or right or at sharp corners , also sound still there when I dip the clutch. Just annoying as hell really. Also I believe some think it could be tyre noise but again how do I check. Sorry for the questions. And by the way love this forum and have been reading through it for hours.

im jake by the way. I’m in West Yorkshire so I hopefully await any replies. Thankyou

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers I’ll definitely try that. Although I don’t think there worn as it passed its mot last week. But maybe they have a bubble or something.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You need to have the least worn tyres on the rear for that model.

Passing MoT only means that the tyres are legal. Different tyre brands produce more or less noise - I had a set of budget tyres on my old Avensis and they droned quite noticeably.

deffo check tyres for even wear and check/adjust pressures as a first step.

Wheel bearing noise is usually localised to one side but if you jack the wheel and release the handbrake (make sure the car is well chocked) you can rotate the wheel by hand and usually hear or feel a dodgy bearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for your replies well I tried tyres and moved them around but the sound still prevailed. ( all like new general grabbers ) also was told rear right wheel bearing was noisy so had that changed too, still the whine is there. It starts around 30mph and increases with speed dropping ever so slightly at 70mph but not much. I’m really needing to get to 5he bottom of this now , what else other than diff can make whining noises? IF it is the diff then I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet. I’ve also heard something about these having to be jacked up 8“ at the rear when changing diff fluid, this is apparently to make sure yo7 get the proper amount in , so going to change the fluid next , although the fluid that’s in there looks pretty clean and no metal shavings or anything, so hopefully maybe not enough fluid in there or it’s broke down in viscosity over time ?? Or the damage maybe already done...Any thoughts ? Thankyou once again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mal. The brake discs are fairly new, I have a receipt to say they were changed in sept last year. Also it flew through the mot last week. The thing is , I love the motor but the noise is driving me nuts. Been out tonight to Manchester from my home in Halifax , short journey but the noise at around 60mph and over were unbearable , quieter if kept at around 50mph but embarrassing getting overtaken by bloody artics ? I’m just not convinced yet that it is the diff that’s kaput , because I’ve had rear diff fail before but they were clunky noises if that makes sense. Once again 5hanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the Kia is going in to have the diff fluid changed out tomorrow so I’ll see if that makes any difference ( probably not ) can anyone tell me if you have to jack the rear end up 8” to get the correct amount of fluid in.? It’s just that I’ve read bulletins about some needing it , but I’m unsure as to which models do. Mines a 2007 2.5 diesel XE model manual. So any help would once again be very much appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone? Could really do with knowing before it goes in tomorrow re. If I need to jack the rear end up 8” to get the correct amount of fluid in. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it’s been a while since my last post. But just an update. I had diff fluid changed,the old stuff looked like treacle and there were metal filings on the drain plug. Still fairly whiny over 40mph. So do you’d reckon my diff as had it. Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jake1971,

What fluid was put in the diff? You may be able to quieten the diff unit a little by doing the following;

1. Drain the fluid out of the diff into a clean container
  2. Remove about 100ml of fluid from the container
  3. Add around 50mm of friction modifier to the mix (the same type as added to a TOD transfer box)
  4. Add around 50ml of moly grease to the mix
  5. Stir it all up till the grease and friction modifier are properly mixed in (warm the mixture if necessary to help mix it all in properly)
  6. Measure the mixture to make sure it's the same amount as came out
  7. Refill the diff.
I've used something similar in the gearboxes on 2 stroke engines in the past, and it's definitely quietened them down.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
if you are happy with the wheel bearings it will be the diff pinion front bearing. sit in the back while someone drives it and listen to where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is the brake shoe linings for the hand brake, if you pull the hand brake on while moving , does the noise change?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the reply’s. I’ve tried all of what has been suggested. I’m going to get the differential bearings done. Theres a company near me that does these all the time I’ve found out, and he’ll need the car for 48hrs and he will change the bearings. All in £350. So a bargain really. Can’t wait for peace n quiet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have another little annoyance as well that when I take a left turn my interior lights come on and make the bleeping noise. Only happens on sharp left turns though. Anyone else had this issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts