Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

One month on and still loving the Sportage.
I have a question about the rear lights that somebody may know the answer to.

When my lights are switched on, the red section of the rear lights that is housed in the tailgate never lights up (the reversing lights are working fine). Neither do the outer sections of the lights housed in the car body.

I've seen some photos where both these sections of the rear lights do light up.

http://rawautos.com/2011/01/review-journal-2011-kia-sportage-ex-awd-final-review/img_5705/

Do I have a fault or is this a country specific difference in specifications? It's a 1.7D GSE in Ireland.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just rang my dealer to ask them and they had no idea. They asked meto bring it in so they could have a look at it.

It seems like a very large area of the rear lights to not have any feckin light coming out of it.

Plus, the section that is illuminated is also the brake lights.

I'll let you know how I get on

·
Registered
60 Posts
Baz53 said:
I just rang my dealer to ask them and they had no idea. They asked meto bring it in so they could have a look at it.

It seems like a very large area of the rear lights to not have any feckin light coming out of it.

Plus, the section that is illuminated is also the brake lights.

I'll let you know how I get on
Cheers, but could it be just the light reflected from flash photography?????
Edited by: Antrim_Man

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only lights in the tailgate are reversing lights and only the inner part of the outer lights have the sidelight/brakelight in them the rest of the red lens is just for fancy.If you look close you can see there is no other bulbs in there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Has anyone removed the rear light cluster? I can't budge it. The two retaining screws don't seems to be all that's holding it in place and I don't want to force it any more than I have already (heard a bit of a crack). The instructions for replacing the headlamp bulbs are even more strange. Why remove the entire fitting when the bulb is simply unscrewed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I checked mine last night, You can clearly see see where the lights were intended to go but they are blanked of, even the wiring is actually there for the lights, I wonder if you can buy the units with the light fittings in them.

I checked the KGIS website and even that shows bulbs fitted.Edited by: velcrohead

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
velcrohead said:
I checked mine last night, You can clearly see see where the lights were intended to go but they are blanked of, even the wiring is actually there for the lights, I wonder if you can buy the units with the light fittings in them.

I checked the KGIS website and even that shows bulbs fitted.

It's a real shame they didn't put them in. The lights look half finished without them. I might ask my dealer if it's possible to get the bulbs put in. With the wiring already there, it may not be too expensive.

Had a look on KGIS and couldn't find any info or images. Are you able to provide a link to that please?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Baz53 said:
velcrohead said:

I checked the KGIS website and even that shows bulbs fitted.

It's a real shame they didn't put them in. The lights look half finished without them. I might ask my dealer if it's possible to get the bulbs put in. With the wiring already there, it may not be too expensive.

Had a look on KGIS and couldn't find any info or images. Are you able to provide a link to that please?

Here you go

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" =gainsboro>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width=10></TD>
<TD title="SAGESL >2011 > G 2.0 T-GDI > Body Electrical System">SPORTAGE(SL) >2011 > G 2.0 T-GDI > Body Electrical System</TD>
<TD align=right>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height="97%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; WIDTH: 656px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; HEIGHT: 100%; OVERFLOW: auto; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid" id=tbs><? version="1.0"?>
<TABLE =table-st1 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =table-td-st1-t>Removal</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>1.</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top>
Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>2.</TD>
Loose screws (2EA) holding the rear combination lamp then disconnect the connector (A) then remove the outside rear combination lamp (B).

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>3.</TD>
Turn the socket counterclockwise to remove the tail/stop lamp bulb (A).

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>4.</TD>
Loosen the nuts (A) after removing the tailgate lamp cover.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>5.</TD>
Remove the tailgate lamp after disconnecting the connector (B).
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>6.</TD>
Turn the socket counterclockwise to remove the back up lamp bulb (A) and tail lamp bulb (B).

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>7.</TD>
If the bulbs should be only replaced without removing lamp assembly, replace the back up lamp bulb (A) and tail lamp bulb (B) after removing the tailgate lamp cover inside tailgate.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE><? version="1.0"?>
<TABLE =table-st1 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =table-td-st1-t>Installation</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>1.</TD>
Install the tailgate combination lamp assembly after assembling the bulb.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>2.</TD>
Install the lamp cover to the tailgate after connecting the lamp connector.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>3.</TD>
Install the rear combination lamp assembly after assembling the bulbs and connecting the lamp connector.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

findme('');
findme('');
findme('');

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi There Cockney sparrow here Only had my sportage for one month and loving it, 17. ECO saw this posting about rear lights wow do
they lookGOOD. I read velcrohead's post& looked at the diagram & the photo and saw it was a US
model have any of you's !found any more imformation

waiting for enlightment

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think the reason that they are not wired up to function in the UK and some other countries is legislation. It should not be possible to show a red light to the front of a vehicle but this could be possible with the lights on and the tailgate up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ive just ordered the 4 bulb holders and bulbs . Just under £20 from hehebay. Looking forward to getting the dremel into action!

·
Registered
216 Posts
HGF69 said:
Be keen to find out if anyone has got them working? Removal tips? Bulb size? Wiring alterations? And pictures
Is it me.....thought thats why I had put the link in my post above.....what more info do you need?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer spoke to me about this mod before i picked my KX-3 up. Apparently its a wiring mod and bulbs/holders/ you have to run a loom from the existing supply in the main cluster. ut this is just what he said. I thought it would look cool but given that anymeddlingwith the wiring loom has the potential to causewarrantyproblem im not bothering...

·
Registered
216 Posts
i cant see a couple of bulbs affecting your warranty, thats even crediting your local dealer with noticing the modification! my bulb holders arrived today so i will be on with it this week

1 - 20 of 50 Posts