Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I just did a mod to my Soul. Modded rear fog lights as both fog and brake lights.
[TUBE]X7WctlkXWEo[/TUBE]
I have another video from me driving that show the brake lights in action.
On request, I draw a schematic on how to wire a relay to make this work. Double check the wiring before cuting everything please:

Let me know if you have questions/comments :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Anchorman surely this would make it illegal on UK roads , your'e the expert on these items. I remember a few years ago did not Landrover have to change some of their lights on the back of one of the vehicles for something simular.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got my Soul back from the body shop. I have a brand new rear end because I been rear-ended, emergency stop... Do you see a relation?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not really....I take it he said he didn't see your brake lights when he was most probably gunning it and couldn't stop........99.9% of drivers who rear end say exactly that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She just looked down for a second at the wrong moment.
You probably have noticed my lenses are tinted, the lights are still bright, but not as bright as a non-tinted set...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmm. Well its nice of you to share that with us but as Dave says that would surely land us with a fine and a prohibition notice to present the vehicle for test. It is an offence here to connect the fog lights with the brake lights even if you can over-ride them and use them in isolation with the switching relay.
You've clearly gone to a lot of trouble to show us and provide a very nice wiring diagram so thanks for that. I've seen some strange lighting arrangements in the US and presumably they are tolerated both there and in Canada. Over here we have a little thorn in our side called Brussels and they dictate just what we can do on our island!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
jeeze..... so what happens when people add these light bars to the backs of their cars over here to carry bikes and such like?..... they duplicate their brakelights etc..... is this illegal too?. I think Fmuscles idea of having extra brake lights on the back of a car is a big safety plus. The brake lights and the fog lights are the same wattage - so there is no viewing issue!!. Did people complain when we went from 2 brake lights to 3 with the centre one???.....nope!, it was a safety improvement....just as Fmuscles suggestion is. I am gonna chat to the local MOT guy and see what his view is on its legality. Thanks for that Fmuscle.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Road Vehicles Lighting Regulation 1989Rear fog lights only to be used in conditions of seriously reduced visability.
Used so not to cause undue dazzle.

Under these regulations they cannot be used for a dual purpose. Have a look at the full regs.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
as a rear foglight and a rear brakelight are identical voltage - how can you differentiate between the two? if they are used as intended ie in fog when its foggy and as brakelights when its not foggy....various 4x4 and the bigger saloons have extra rear lights.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's quite simple I would have thought, fog lights are a legal requirement and as such are fitted for that purpose which brings the use into the 1989 regulations which states rear fog lights can only be used in specified circumstances. Should you connect them to the brake lights you are contrevening at least two of the 1989 regulations.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,210 Posts
In the uk the maximumpower allowed for brake lightsused to be (and I think still is) 75 watts and there must be no more than 3, one being a mid line high level light. This is where Landrover came unstuck a few years ago by fitting 4 with an output of 100 watts.They had to recall them all. It's to stop drivers behind being dazzled and causing an accident. What you are suggesting is like leaving the front fog lights on all the time, good for you because you think your a rally driver, but bad for those who are being dazzled.
The law is also very clear as to when you can use front and rear foglights. That is in fog or falling snow where the visibility is less than 100 meters. Note, not a vague wiff of mist, or rain, or because every one else has them on, or because the bloke behind you has his front foglights on. It's fog or falling snow and visibility less than 100 meters otherwise leave them off. So it follows that wiring the rear fogs into the brake circuit is illegal in the UK. Dosn't matter if you think it's a good idea or not. If the police pull you over it will be a fine and points on your license.
And don't get me started on LED's and replacing normal tungsten bulbs with them! That is also illegal in the UK I'm afraid. Legal most other places but not here.
Phil

·
Registered
887 Posts
tempest said:
as a rear foglight and a rear brakelight are identical voltage - how can you differentiate between the two? if they are used as intended ie in fog when its foggy and as brakelights when its not foggy....various 4x4 and the bigger saloons have extra rear lights.
Because fog lamp design is different and has a much more intense amount of light.
Can put as many fairy lights all over your car, if the person behind isn't looking you'll get shunted... or maybe if they are blinded by the light...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
phil866 said:
In the uk the maximumpower allowed for brake lightsused to be (and I think still is) 75 watts and there must be no more than 3, one being a mid line high level light. This is where Landrover came unstuck a few years ago by fitting 4 with an output of 100 watts.They had to recall them all.
That seems a lot, as the brake lights are 21W each as well as fog lights. Taillights are 15W. I can understand that there has to be a limit, but 75W is way too much for any lights on a car... High beams are 60-65W...

So being illegal, I will have to say, if some still want to, do this at your own risks, I am in no way responsible for legal matters. It's your responsibility to check local regulations no matter where you are in the world.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The beam angle is also a lot narrower on a rear fog light, unlike a break light. I think if it ain't broke, why try fix it. Oh yeah, you tinted your lenses, made them darker and are blaming the person who hit you, i can see why you chose to make you lights even more illegal. The only possible light I could ever see the need for modification would be high beam. But again....why bother. If you get rear ended again all the person has to say is they where dazzled by your fogs on, at which point the police will see that you filaments have burt out, indicating they were on when they got smashed. Points on your licence, good chance you won't be able to claim on there or your insurance as your car doesn't conform to regulation and another bad driver gets away with smashing your gorgeous car. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ritchie I'm in Canada. More brake lights are legal here. Also, here, 95%of the people don't even know that rear fog lights exists, and 98% of the people don't even know how to properly use the front fogs, don't ask too much from them...
People here drive with all lights on at all time, low and fogs... And some european cars, mostly minis, have the rear fogs fitted, these are on too, even on a sunny day. Yes DAYTIME...
I drive with front fog lights all day, but that is only because they are my DRL. Since I have a full HID retrofit in front I could not leave the OEM DRL resistor and moved the DRL to the front fogs. HOWEVER, when I drive at night, I only use the low beams. The fogs come on in bad weather/low visibility ONLY. The same will apply for my newly aquired rear fog lamps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I only have the rear fog lights on if I'm the rear car in a line travelling in the fog. As soon as somebody appears in my mirror I turn them off - there's nothing worse than following a pair of high intensity fog lights. I'm afraid having them on a clear night would result in some main beam and I believe I'm quite mild tempered!!! Grumpy - yes but thats my age

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
After driving in Canada nothing would suprise me ,it was like going back in time . I don't think that they have a highway code as they seem to please themslves protected by the fact that every body stops at every junction then they very politly give way to each other. Can you see that in UK.This was in Toronto and Winnipeg it may be different in the french speaking part if they have the same habits as when drove the last time in France.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quebecers are the worst I've ever seen... They don't know how to drive in the snow even after 30 years of driving here... even rain is a challenge for them... If I could work onthe driving laws here, lot would change, including lights use and lot of people would have to repass the exam (and maybe fail).

My driving background is limited to north america, from the st.Lawrence gulf to the great Lakes, from Quebec To tennessee, Saw how people drive in the caribbean, and a french friend told me we have the worst drivers he ever saw here...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts