Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reaplced my wife's 2013 1.25l picanto 3 rear discs and pads in September 2019. They're needing replaced already. Handbrake doesn't hold anymore and thought it was just loose handbrake cable (from loosening it when installing the new set of discs and pads). But after tightening it it didn't stop it from rolling and noticed the pads were well worn.

Anyway, is this normal wear for a car which isn't used very often? Especially when it's the fronts which do most of the braking (which haven't been replaced yet).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I reaplced my wife's 2013 1.25l picanto 3 rear discs and pads in September 2019. They're needing replaced already. Handbrake doesn't hold anymore and thought it was just loose handbrake cable (from loosening it when installing the new set of discs and pads). But after tightening it it didn't stop it from rolling and noticed the pads were well worn.

Anyway, is this normal wear for a car which isn't used very often? Especially when it's the fronts which do most of the braking (which haven't been replaced yet).
Not normal at all but reading your posts am wondering if your fitting procedure is incorrect with regards to tightening the handbrake cable..Let me explain..
When doing my Venga after removing the rear pads its a case of winding back the pistons in the calipers..this auto cancels the handbrake adjustment.. after fitting the pads and calipers back I go into the car and the handbrake will come up 5000 clicks .. ok slight exaggeration but I guess you know where I am coming from.. now pull up handbrake and release continuously until you get the number of clicks you want in my case 6.. what's happened here is the calliper pistons have wound their selves out to the new pads.. only then if you cant reduce the number of clicks on the hand brake do you turn [ in my case ] to cable adjustment..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not normal at all but reading your posts am wondering if your fitting procedure is incorrect with regards to tightening the handbrake cable..Let me explain..
When doing my Venga after removing the rear pads its a case of winding back the pistons in the calipers..this auto cancels the handbrake adjustment.. after fitting the pads and calipers back I go into the car and the handbrake will come up 5000 clicks .. ok slight exaggeration but I guess you know where I am coming from.. now pull up handbrake and release continuously until you get the number of clicks you want in my case 6.. what's happened here is the calliper pistons have wound their selves out to the new pads.. only then if you cant reduce the number of clicks on the hand brake do you turn [ in my case ] to cable adjustment..
I would tend to agree. The rears do very little braking.
I installed it correctly ie there are notches at different points for the insides and outsides. When trying to put the Rear calipers on, I had a hell of a job trying to get them over the pads because the handbrake cable was too tight and didn't allow me to move the caliper back far enough to slide it over squarely (if you know what I mean).

I might have some siezed calipers....

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
If they are wearing out that fast. I would give the calipers & any slider pins a real good clean. Sounds like something is sticking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts