Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my rear defogger is not working , so i took to kia dealership they charged me $57 to tell me it needs now i will quote what the work order says....needs "relay located internal of drivers side junction box". he said it would cost $400 and labour $140 so with taxes it would be $600

so here is where the problem lies, i am trying to order this from another parts place which might be cheaper but the guy doesn't understand what it is, and he wants me to send him a pic of it. i cant find anything about it on the web can anyone help with this?

2007 rondo, 7 seater ex, lux

Edited by: suerob

·
Registered
74 Posts
yup same over here... go near dealers and you will pay dearly for it..... if you have a kia over 7 years old and you need to go to dealers.....you need to sit down when you get the bill so its not as far to fall when you faint........it may be how they get money back for the 7 year warrenty....on newer cars.....what hapened to the old days were you took a car to the garage they looked for the problem then gave you a price to fix it when they knew what was wrong.....not the rip off we have now haveing to pay by the hour just to look for the problem then tell you how much it will cost to fix it thats if they find it and if they dont they can still charge you hundreds for just looking at it....if thats not bad enough it could in theory cost you more for them to look at it than to fix it depending how long it takes them to work out whats wrong..
....and how big or small the job is..... the dealers for me is a last last last resort....i keep well clear if i can...

·
Registered
74 Posts
ive not looked but i bet the relay is in the fuse box down near footwell drivers side i would get one from breakers yard or look on ebay for someone breaking one ect

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
not sure about the carens but on the other kia models the hrw function is controlled by the etacs unit/etwis unit, it is a central timer, it works by providing an earth to the hrw relay when it gets the command from the hrw switch, you could bypass the etacs unit but you would have to use a relay because the switch contacts are not strong enough to cope with the load of the hrw directly, if you know how to wire a relay and are able to trace the correct wires on the back of the switch a few quid will fix it,

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
First of all remove switch from dash and check with a meter that it switches OK then locate relay end of dash which is a normally open circuit and check this again with a meter when putting 12 volt across the coil terminals that when it actuates it is switching as it may be burnt contacts.If switch and relay OK points to ETACS .If you bypass ETACS and wire direct using the switch wired direct to relay you will only loose the timer function, where you will have to switch it off manually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the info about this ETACS unit, I think the idea about going to a scrape yard and ordering one might be my best course of action. Thanks for the info on how to by-pass the etacs, but this might be beyond my abilities

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks all for the info about this ETACS unit, I think the idea about going to a scrape yard and ordering one might be my best course of action. Thanks for the info on how to by-pass the etacs, but this might be beyond my abilities
Hi All, I have a similar problem, switch is working, light comes on, click is heard from relay box but no voltage at the window grid terminals. I read on the .com kia forum that somebody found the problem to be tight cables presumably where the cables enter the boot lid. Just wondered if anybody has any ideas about this as the relay box in the drivers side footwell seems impossible to open, if this is indeed where the relay for the rear demister is or is it in the engine bay where the demister fuse is? Thanks for any pointers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts