Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Niro 2020 HEV - DynamicPlusLine
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any kind of "camera guard" or rain-shield for the rear camera? I know CamWipe, but I am thinking something else, more simple (cheaper lol) :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
@iooi actually it amazes me that something which one would assume needed to be as streamlined as possible i.e. a car, especially an EV, collects so much muck on the back. I'm sure this means it's not as efficient as it could be 🤔. However I'm no scientist but I have watched programs about how airflow is managed 😄

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
The problem is the air flows over & round the car. Leaving a dead spot at the rear which sucks the air back towards the rear of the car.
A lot of Kia's & other marques are like this. Given the perceived needs of the average car owner (SUV, so manufactures tell us by their ranges) it's not really possible to make them streamlined. Well unless they are a lot longer....

Form over function or function over form 🤪

Notice non have a really flat back end.

·
Registered
337 Posts
@iooi actually it amazes me that something which one would assume needed to be as streamlined as possible i.e. a car, especially an EV, collects so much muck on the back. I'm sure this means it's not as efficient as it could be 🤔. However I'm no scientist but I have watched programs about how airflow is managed 😄
Back in the day, when everyone drove saloons rear wipers didn't exist nor were they needed. In invention of the hatchback produced the problem of muck being attracted to the rear window and a wiper being needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Accepting what you say @iooi the issue seems particularly acute in the Niro. My previous few cars were Hyundai Kona, i10, ix35 and Diahatsu Terios but none were as bad as the Niro. I think the new Niro looks more sloped so maybe more streamlined.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My previous car was a Nissan Pulsar which was as bad, if not worse, than the Niro for this. It was white too which made the problem even worse.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Streamlining has a little to do with it.
The "problem" is caused by the air passing over and under the car forming a low pressure area in the zone that contains the rear window and boot lid, thereby drawing upwards anything that comes off the rear wheels. I suspect this is not helped by the large spoiler above the window. However that low pressure area means that the passage of air over the car is "clean and stable" and does not directly follow the shape of the body, which would increase drag and therefore increase the fuel consumption.
If you want a full technical expalanation Google "Kamm Tail"
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

This was after about 30 miles surveying work in the Hafren Forest in late summer 2020, not long after I had bought the car.

And Kamm tails are nothing new, this was my car in the early 80's. The rear vertical section used to be filthy within minutes.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

And if you want to see really bad rear dirt:

That was after about 50 miles of driving thriough the Hafren Stage of WRGB, as one of the Stage Safety Officers.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
107 Posts
  • Sad
Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
365 Posts
Try this for a solution (for other models)?
If your rear view camera is in the number plate illumination area, this would probably work.
There are various models available (but none for a Niro).
That's because the camera on the Niro is mounted by the rear wiper mount!
And the link is not deemed safe by my ISP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Streamlining has a little to do with it.
The "problem" is caused by the air passing over and under the car forming a low pressure area in the zone that contains the rear window and boot lid, thereby drawing upwards anything that comes off the rear wheels. I suspect this is not helped by the large spoiler above the window. However that low pressure area means that the passage of air over the car is "clean and stable" and does not directly follow the shape of the body, which would increase drag and therefore increase the fuel consumption.
If you want a full technical expalanation Google "Kamm Tail" View attachment 13291
This was after about 30 miles surveying work in the Hafren Forest in late summer 2020, not long after I had bought the car.

And Kamm tails are nothing new, this was my car in the early 80's. The rear vertical section used to be filthy within minutes.
View attachment 13292

And if you want to see really bad rear dirt:

That was after about 50 miles of driving thriough the Hafren Stage of WRGB, as one of the Stage Safety Officers.
Is the Kia parked on Western Promenade in Land Odd, and the Rapid in the NMWTRA car park?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts