Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I own a late 2007 Kia Picanto since new. When under warranty, they changed the rear nearside hub and bearing. Afterwards, they could not get the handbrake to operate correctly, it was either too tight causing the rear brake shoes to be too tight or too loose and not holding the vehicle. Eventually they did what they could but never got it right. I have just removed the rear nearside drum as the problem is still with me in that the handbrake will not hold on the nearside rear wheel. On comparing it to the other side, I noted that the lever that operates the rear nearside brake shoe to lock hand brake comes into contact with the hub they replaced before pushing out shoes enough for hand brake to be effective""� On the otherside that was never touched, there is a bigger gap allowing the adjuster to move. It has been suggested to me that the hub that they replaced it with may be a couple of mm wider in diameter. This would explain why the adjuster hits the hub. Could this be the issue ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I have solved it.
1) Choke wheels.

2) Release Handbrake.

3) Loosen the parking brake adjusting nut (that is under rear cup holder in central console ) until the nut is right at the end of its thread.

4) Start the engine and depress the brake pedal hard several times which will automatically set the rear brake shoe self-adjusting system.

5) Turn engine off.

6) Pull handbrake up now before re-tightening the parking brake adjusting nut. It will go up about 12 - 13 clicks.

7) Release handbrake again.

8) Now re-tighten the parking brake adjusting nut until the handbrake clicks up to a maximum of 8 clicks ( YES that is correct, 8 clicks on handbrake before you cant pull any further, I thought it was 3 clicks and that is way too tight and the self adjusters cant move, that is why I thought the hub was wrong.

9) Now test the handbrake and hopefully like me you will find it holds nice and tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, I have solved it.
1) Choke wheels.

2) Release Handbrake.

3) Loosen the parking brake adjusting nut (that is under rear cup holder in central console ) until the nut is right at the end of its thread.

4) Start the engine and depress the brake pedal hard several times which will automatically set the rear brake shoe self-adjusting system.

5) Turn engine off.

6) Pull handbrake up now before re-tightening the parking brake adjusting nut. It will go up about 12 - 13 clicks.

7) Release handbrake again.

8) Now re-tighten the parking brake adjusting nut until the handbrake clicks up to a maximum of 8 clicks ( YES that is correct, 8 clicks on handbrake before you cant pull any further, I thought it was 3 clicks and that is way too tight and the self adjusters cant move, that is why I thought the hub was wrong.

9) Now test the handbrake and hopefully like me you will find it holds nice and tight.

Nice one buddy very helpful! 👍🏻

1 - 3 of 3 Posts