Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Venga
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!
Can anyone please advise if I can get replacement rear brake dust shields for my Kia venga 2013???

I know I can get them from Kia but was wondering if anywhere cheaper and also would Hyundai ix20 fit if they were cheaper???
Many thanks John

·
Registered
157 Posts
I should imagine ix20 would be identical. I really don't know if 3rd party suppliers would do them though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
2013 would be out of mechanical warranty by now but if it is rust and if it had a full history with corrosion check, I believe the corrison warranty is 10 years so could feasibly be covered under that.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Isn't that for bodywork. Not sure about mechanicals. Ebay has back plates for various kias and hyundai including i30. Is the venga based on Rio or Ceed. I would think they are inter changeable with model they are based on. They were less than £60 a pair. Surprisingly expensive

·
Registered
292 Posts
2013 car, you haven't a prayer of any sort of warranty claim on a 9yr set of disc backplates. They'd laugh you out of the showroom to be honest!

Buy new or rub down and paint with hammerire if they are in decent enough condition.
£30 odd each new I'd guess at.

·
Registered
Venga
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all thanks for the reply’s!! No I think I won’t be covered under any warranty and Kia are asking for £130 for just the rear shields!! I don’t know if any other Kia model shields would fit my venga???
been looking on eBay and all I can see is shields for the Kia Ceed and Picanto!!
Would love to think these would compatible with my venga??!!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Front and rear brake discs are the same for both the Venga and ix20 but I believe the caliper carriers are different.. I know the calipers are and brake pads as well.. the bolts that hold on the carrier to the hub and from carrier to calipers are different between the two vehicles as well.. as for back plates I will have to do a search tomorrow to confirm that they are identical or not.. I'm just off to bed..😴 😆

·
Registered
645 Posts
I vaguely remember someone else having this on here. Theirs had rusted away badly. Not sure it was the Venga.
I think the Owner bit the bullet and paid for new Kia

Is £130 for the Pair? Seems expensive but about right.
There doesn't seem to be an Aftermarket option

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Kia Backplates may include the parking brake mechanism,the Sportage Backplates that I replaced last year included the handbrake shoes,springs and attachments (I do not know if the Venga has the same handbrake design).
Just in case it is of any use - here is a link to my 2008 Sportage Backplate job from last year,as I said previously - I do not know how similar the venga set up is.
Ours were about £100 each from Kiapartsdirect.

There did seem to be some aftermarket backplates available but not for our car (of course :rolleyes: :) )
I was surprised that the brake shoes were attached when the new plates arrived as the parts pic I saw was just a bare plate.

Reactions: mcsport

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I vaguely remember someone else having this on here. Theirs had rusted away badly. Not sure it was the Venga.
I think the Owner bit the bullet and paid for new Kia

Is £130 for the Pair? Seems expensive but about right.
There doesn't seem to be an Aftermarket option
Had a quick look last night but no luck with even pulling a part number never mind a comparison.. think this is becoming a bit of a wake up with these back plates for all models over a certain age and my advice would be to inspect yours and if rusty but serviceable then refurb them asap.. for what they are they are overly expensive and if you guys are looking to keep your cars until they fall apart I would be looking to get some replacement if possible from a breaker and store them until needed.. I have also noted that some of the parts catalogs have removed the ix20 from their lists and was quite shocked by that..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Now found an old thread with parts numbers so could be worth a search using these numbers..

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Im not familiar with the Venga's rear brakes, but are the shields even necessary? I found out after removing corroded shields on a similar car that the inside surface of the disks remained in better condition without the shield. Probably because rain water and splashing, plus the occasional wash underneath kept them salt and dirt free. Wheras with the shield it was difficult to rinse off the inside surface of the disk. If there are handbrake components that will be vunerable without the shield then perhaps that should take priority.

·
Registered
Venga
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for the help!!
I’ve been messaging a few eBay breakers about the back plates but no answers as yet!!!

does anyone know for certain that the Ceed back plated would fit the venga as there is loads of them on eBay???

thanks John

·
Registered
Venga
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im not familiar with the Venga's rear brakes, but are the shields even necessary? I found out after removing corroded shields on a similar car that the inside surface of the disks remained in better condition without the shield. Probably because rain water and splashing, plus the occasional wash underneath kept them salt and dirt free. Wheras with the shield it was difficult to rinse off the inside surface of the disk. If there are handbrake components that will be vunerable without the shield then perhaps that should take priority.
Thank you for the reply!!
Never even thought about not having the back plates on the car!!!
But can you tell me if they will need to be on for MOT??

thanks John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts