Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2007 Sedona which I bought recently. After I drove it home it was stood for 4 or 5 days and was flat when I went to start it. The RAC came out and said I needed a new battery. I bought a Lion battery which started the carrier first time but 3 days later was flat again. The RAC came out again and said I needed a better quality battery and checked to see if there was a drain on it but said there wasn't. I exchange the Lion battery to an Exide, much better quality battery. Same thing happens. RAC says it's the battery again as there is no drain.

2 new batteries, plus the original one, have all gone flat after a few days non use. I even put the new Exide battery on a trickle charger for 24 hrs to get it up to its maximum performance and it's still gone flat after a few days non use. 3 different RAC men said there is no drain and the alternator is working ok.

Any ideas where i can go with this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
There must be a drain on the battery. Every car drains it to some extent, a perfectly serviceable car will still have a small but measurable drain.

You need a measurement in milliamps.

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Hi. Just moved this to Sedona forum. As may get answers from owners with the same issue.

While the RAC have said all is OK.
What is the battery voltage with engine off and with it running at tickover and 4K rev's?

·
Registered
284 Posts
There is a small drain, around 0.2A. The RAC man said it was fine at that.
That's not small. 200mA is high imho.

For comparison my Kia (Ceed) sits at about 20-25mA.

I would pull fuses and find out which circuit is causing that.... Then leave that fuse out for a few days and see if your battery survives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below is the report from the RAC. Not sure if the info you asked for is the bottom paragraph.

Serviceable Recharge
The battery is serviceable and requires recharging with a battery charger.

Battery Test Result Serviceable Recharge

Reserve Capacity Good Reserve

Battery Manufacturer EXIDE

Rating Of Battery Tested 800EN
Batteries are rated according to their Amp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the power they need to turn the engine over sufficiently to get it started in cold conditions.

Battery Tested Rating 242EN This is the rating that the battery has performed at during the test.

Rated AMP Hour Of Battery Tested 95
Batteries are rated according to their Amp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps.
Amp Hours is how long the battery will last if it's not re-charged.

Battery Temperature 7.8°C

Initial Battery Voltage (Before Test) 11.35Volts
The battery tester will capture and record the initial battery voltage and takes this into account when calculating the test result.

Time Test Completed 03/04/2019 13:28

Starting and Charging Test Results

Starter Motor Current Draw 315.4Amps
This is the load the starter motor puts on the battery during starting.

Alternator voltage (loaded) 14.24Volts
Voltage output of Alternator during the test with lights and heated rear screen on.
Alternator current (loaded) 32Amps Current consumed with system under load.

Battery Drain Test Results
1st Battery Drain Test Voltage 11.41Volts Voltage when the tester is connected.
1st Battery Drain Test Current Load 0Amps This checks for external drains on the battery before the test.
2nd Battery Drain Test Voltage 11.85Volts Battery voltage after the test is complete.
2nd Battery Drain Test Current Load -0.1Amps This checks for external drains on the battery after the test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I would pull fuses and find out which circuit is causing that.... Then leave that fuse out for a few days and see if your battery survives.
I haven't got any equipment to do that. Could it just be a case of pulling fuses and seeing what happens?

·
Registered
284 Posts
warwick72 said:
I replied to you yesterday. Have you tried it?

You can measure current draw in individual circuits with the fuse still fitted but you need a decent multi-meter. If you havent got one and won't buy one then fuse pulling is a near enough substitute.

I would also look closley at anything non standard you may have fitted, towbar, stereo, dash cam, dvd player etc etc.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Something incomplete about that RAC report, but what I can see is that the battery is rated 800EN but tested at 242EN which does not seem very good at all.

Alternator looks good.

200mA drain would take about 400 hours to completely drain an 80 Ah battery if it were fully charged, which is 16 days - seems like an excessive drain considering the car could easily be parked up for two week at an airport.

·
Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
warwick72

Something we have missed here.

Just how much do you use the car?
Short trips with loads of stuff running?

Or not used much at all.

Given you have not had the car long. It could be it was stood on the dealers for a while.
Next to no usage or lots of very short trips would also explain why the 2 new batteries went flat as well.

I would put one of the batteries on a charger & conditioner. Till you know its fully charged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Ceedman. Should I literally start pulling any fuses out or should I try and get a schematic and try maybe stereo fuse, seat fuses etc etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something incomplete about that RAC report, but what I can see is that the battery is rated 800EN but tested at 242EN which does not seem very good at all.

Alternator looks good.

200mA drain would take about 400 hours to completely drain an 80 Ah battery if it were fully charged, which is 16 days - seems like an excessive drain considering the car could easily be parked up for two week at an airport.
Your right, I think that's because the battery was flat when tested after we called the RAC out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
warwick72

Something we have missed here.

Just how much do you use the car?
Short trips with loads of stuff running?

Or not used much at all.

Given you have not had the car long. It could be it was stood on the dealers for a while.
Next to no usage or lots of very short trips would also explain why the 2 new batteries went flat as well.

I would put one of the batteries on a charger & conditioner. Till you know its fully charged.

Ok this is one of my theories. It's used two, maybe 3 times a week for 10/12 miles at a time. We make sure nothing is turned on like radio, heaters etc so it doesn't drain the battery. Last week we made sure it was used every day, again 10/12 miles use each time, it was then left for 3 days and it was flat again so I'm maybe ruling that theory out.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Ok this is one of my theories. It's used two, maybe 3 times a week for 10/12 miles at a time. We make sure nothing is turned on like radio, heaters etc so it doesn't drain the battery. Last week we made sure it was used every day, again 10/12 miles use each time, it was then left for 3 days and it was flat again so I'm maybe ruling that theory out.

That should be plenty enough to keep the battery tip-top. Invest in a multimeter and see if you can measure a drain, re-confirm alternator is delivering in excess of 14V (measured at the battery terminals) at an elevated engine speed (2000 rpm is plenty) and if all that turns up nothing then the battery is a dud.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It seems likely that the battery is discharging, rather than it being a faulty battery.

One of the most common causes of battery discharge is through a fault with the courtesy light. After the battery has been charged, turn off the courtesy light so that it is no longer operational. If the battery continues to completely discharge then have an auto electrician check things out for you, assuming you don't want to go down the warranty path.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Warwick,
I have the same problem and no workshop manual doesn't help.
However, my battery goes flat in 48 hours. Two new batteries later I am starting to think its an intermittent fault on the central locking system. Mine has started playing up recently and wont lock or unlock the backhatch or rear doors. I measured a discharge on the battery some time ago and when I pulled the fuse and remeasured it was lower. But i cant go around and not lock up so its crunch time for me.

I cant find the locking relay though I have had the whole dashboard console apart. I Havent seen one on ebay so I dont know what I am looking for.
However, batteries dont go flat unless there is a discharge.
With everything switched off, you could pull a fuse in the dark and watch for a tiny spark. If none put it back and go on until you find one that sparks. this may be the rogue circuit so leave it out for a few days when not using the car. That tells you whats playing up. Then you decide what to do about it.
You could disconnect the battery neg in the dark and watch for a spark then put the neg back and pull the plug out of your alternator and disconnect the neg again and see if you get a spark. This gives an idea if a diode in the alternator is faulty and leaking(yes I know the RAC man said its OK but it wont hurt to check, he is humanoid also.

You could check that all the courtesy lights do go off when you shut the door.(sorry simple but have to ask).Dont forget the little ones in the door, difficult to check.
You could buy a cheapie multimeter and measure battery voltage then start the engine and remeasure. You need 13.5 volts minimum running but could go up to as much as 14.5 thats good. It could be a weak alternator not fully charging the battery so you start of with a low charge which drains normally down to a level where the car wont start. Fully charged before starting you should have 12.7V. A half charged battery shows 12.3V If I remember rightly.

Next you could put all your lights on without starting the engine and wiggle the key in the ig switch while somebody looks at the lights. If you have a dodgy ignition switch you may get a flicker on the lights.
You could disconnect the battery evrytime you leave the car which will confirm what we know already that there is a discharge on the car and the battery if fine. Verify and eliminate etc.

Cant think of anything else but good luck, hope this points you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts