Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we had new brakes fitted on our Kia carens 64 plate
1 week later we have a major brake fail
We took it to the garage that fitted brakes and they have found the problem lies with a corroded main line brake pipe

is this covered under warranty ?
or is this classed as general wear
And tear ?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Provided it does nor appear to have failed from mechanical damage then I see no reason why not. Surely KIA expect brake lines to last the life of the car and certainly the life of the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Provided it does nor appear to have failed from mechanical damage then I see no reason why not. Surely KIA expect brake lines to last the life of the car and certainly the life of the warranty.
I have now been told by two mechanics that this is a major fault and it should be covered , everytime I call Kia I am being told this is wear and tear
My thought is of a 7 year warranty that they could say everything is wear and tear and generally a car is used for that purpose

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Brake friction linings and rotors are a wear item, brake hydraulic lines are not even a service item, other than inspect.

Problem you now have is how to get it to your KIA dealer? It cannot be driven so a tow truck. It might be cheaper to let your brake place get on with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake friction linings and rotors are a wear item, brake hydraulic lines are not even a service item, other than inspect.

Problem you now have is how to get it to your KIA dealer? It cannot be driven so a tow truck. It might be cheaper to let your brake place get on with it.
I agree
I can get it there that’s not the problem
The point is they will charge me for inspection apparently if it’s not under warranty
The repair isn’t the issue
It’s the longevity is the problem and why have warranty when it seems to cover nothing and you get fobbed off

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,049 Posts
Just looked at Kia's exclusions
and they include
'Normal deterioration
Normal wear, tear or deterioration such as discolouration, fading or deformation
Surface corrosion on any part other than the sheet metal panels on the exterior body'
and
'Damage due to factors beyond the manufacturer's control
Examples of this could include:

Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, bird lime, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards, hail, wind, storm, lightning, floods and other acts of God'. My underline and italics.

I think Kia will say 'no' as an automatic response to this but they have responded with recalls if it can be shown to be a manufacturing defect. Your call Elaine. Brake pipes are not that expensive to have replaced and they will need repair whilst you argue the toss with Kia (via the dealer who will need convincing first). Kia Customer Services do have a presence on this forum so it may be worth giving them the heads up as they can get involved if a dealer is not following the procedure.
Good luck with it anyway as this should not be happening on a 6yr old car these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and they include
'Normal deterioration
Normal wear, tear or deterioration such as discolouration, fading or deformation
Surface corrosion on any part other than the sheet metal panels on the exterior body'
and

Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, bird lime, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards, hail, wind, storm, lightning, floods and other acts of God'. My underline and italics.

I think Kia will say 'no' as an automatic response to this but they have responded with recalls if it can be shown to be a manufacturing defect. Your call Elaine. Brake pipes are not that expensive to have replaced and they will need repair whilst you argue the toss with Kia (via the dealer who will need convincing first). Kia Customer Services do have a presence on this forum so it may be worth giving them the heads up as they can get involved if a dealer is not following the procedure.
Good luck with it anyway as this should not be happening on a 6yr old car these days.
Thank you
Yes I am aware that this is a minor repair
My mechanic will remove the plastic tray that covers the pipes tomorrow and assess what damage has been done
As I said in last thread my worry is the longevity of the issue
I can fix it - yes agreed
But will this contnue to happen
And the mere fact that Kia.com cant you give any comfort that your car is or is not covered
Is shocking to say the least
and they include
'Normal deterioration
and

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you
My mechanic will remove the plastic tray that covers the pipes tomorrow and assess what damage has been done
And the mere fact that Kia.com cant you give any comfort that your car is or is not covered
Thank you
you shouldn’t have to argue for your safety

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,049 Posts
you shouldn’t have to argue for your safety
I agree entirely and I would make Kia Customer Support aware on their forum on this site so they can advise. They are watching as they replied to a topic 2 hours ago.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Elaiine, it is standard practice for a dealer to advise that if a fault turns out not to be a warranty issue then you have to pay for their time in inspecting it. It would be wrong of them not to give that advice. Remember also that they have not seen the problem so they are blind at present. Where is the argument? Either get the car to a KIA dealer (I am pretty confident this will be a warranty job) or pay to have it fixed where it is, which will probably be cheaper than a tow.

THis kind of failure is very rare and it might be that an external cause will be revealed when your garage takes a closer look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree
But when you are told different things from two
Different places then it’s is contradicting ......
my argument is that they should all be reading from the same book and that is not the case .
Hence why I joined this forum for some help from others who may have experience

1 - 12 of 12 Posts