Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 05 model sportage 2ltr crdi, 4x4, there is a good rattle from the drive (ithink) when taking mainly in 2nd and then 3rd gear when my foot is half pressing on the trottle. its not real bad but is audible when moving off...... could it be a bushing or something in the drive shaft to the rear drive? any ideas....
also....... are the clutches a bit iffy on all of these...... its my second one and the first was similar........

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi had the same problem with mine,it appeared a few days after i bought it ,same year and model.It turned out to be the clutch which was badly worn but replaced under warranty. I got in touch with the previous owner who told me he had the clutch replaced seems either he was conned by the garage or they are of poor quality.Mine was replaced about a year ago and I still get some noise which is noticable when travelling up hill going thro. the gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Grumpybump, thanks for your post, I have come to accept its the the clutch alright......... and mad a phone call to a clutch "expert" describing the rattle and he informs me it the "flywheel" that needs replacing!!
Anyway....I suppose there's 130k (klms) on it and something was bound to give sometime. Questions.... How much approx will it set me back......... and if I keep driving it (its goin fine) will I do other damage????????? Great little SUV otherwise...........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out engine rattle here. http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1523.html

I bought One with this Problem from a main dealer, it spent more time in the workshop than it did with me.
Could it be there is a build quality problem with some of these cars, the Main dealer seemed at a loss as to what this problem was.

I can tell you that it wasnt the flywheel, or injector problems, in the end the dealer took the car back, but did try to tell me thay didnt think anything was wrong.

it rattled under pressure at around 2000 rpm, a bit like a petrol car pinking on bad petrol.

It was a 2005, crdi.with 50.000 on the clock, andsounded nasty.

I wouldlove to know if anybody has found a fix for this problem.????
Edited by: Homeless

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2006 Sportage and it has a rattle on acceleration in 2nd gear. I think it is the radiator protector - it is easy to move with a finger tip - I think that on acceleration it vibrates touching some of the running gear immediately below & this gives the rattle sound. It doesn't rattle in other gears & makes no sound on cruising at any speeds. I am taking it back to have it checked on Monday & guess it might be a simple case of a nut & bolt
Hope this helps. Grae.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kia Sportage Rattle, Check this out

TSB No. KT2007082904

Published: 9/3/2007

Symptom/Condition

Some SPORTAGE (KM) vehicles with 2.0L WGT diesel engines and manual transaxles
may exhibit a rattling noise while driving at vehicle speeds between 30kph and
40kph and engine speeds between 1800 rpm and 2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Cause

Excessive wear of the friction bushing (A), Inside the clutch disc

Countermeasure/Remedy

If customers complain of the same symptom as above, replace the clutch discs
with newly improved ones.

Vehicles Affected

""¢ Model Sportage (KM)vehicles with 2.0L WGT diesel engines and manual
transaxles

""¢ Affected vehicles production date range: From start of production to Aug. 28

""¢ Affected VIN range: From start of production to KNAJE551887471049

""¢ Area: All except North America

Parts Required

Disc Assembly ""“ Clutch Previous ""“ 41100-39295 New- 41100-39300 <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,
I have read this forum with great interest as I am currently having the same issues with my 2005 2lt crdi Sportage 05 plate, having done only 41000miles.

I have a chattering noise mainly noted in 2nd and 3rd gear between 1500-2000rpm. The noise is only evident under load when accelarating gently, and normally if on an uphill incline!

I have also read anothervery comprehensive kia forum, which outlines my problems almost identically ! http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2005-2010-sportage/40111-transmission-noise.html

I have also just got off the phone from my local dealership having given theminformation posted on the forum, and details of Kia's own TSB with details identical to my noise!

Having been told that my problem could be down various issues from the dual mass flywheel, gear box, and clutch, I am hoping that the problem could be down entirely just to replacement of the clutch as the worst case senario. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,
RE my above comments.. I finally ended up taking my Sportage to my local Kia dealership.

£610 later with (new pattern part)clutch fitted my rattle has gone

It was exactly as described in the TSB mentioned above, the bush in the clutch was worn and needed replacing, I was advised to go for a complete clutch kit which seemed the sensible way forward.

Hope this post is helpful to anyone else out there deliberating over the same chattering noise coming from the clutch/gear box. It does appear to be an inherant problem with the 2lt cdri Sportage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yip I think so,,, my 2005 CRDi with 50km on it is doing the same at present,, have been told it the thrush bearing and clutch but have been advised the flywheel may also need doing,, currently being quoted around £1000 for both to get done,,

Any advice is welcome

Has any1 came across a conversion kit to change the flywheel to a solid one???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks,, well after getting numerous quotes to get the clutch and flywheel done everyone I gave my registration to came back to me with the same story, " ah, you have a daul mass flywheel on that model" it will be £££, then after making checks to get it converted to a solid mass flywheel I was told on a number of occasions that " oh you cant get them on that car",,,

Best quote was £600 inc vat, took it to my local Kia dealer and told them the quoted price and they agreed to match it, after ordering the DMF and clutch kit for me, the gearbox out etc, I get a phone call from the dealer " yes sir, your car isnt fitted with a DMF your has a solid flywheel fitted, we will need to reorder you parts"

So much for not being able to get a solid flywheel, and so reliable is Kia's records as my year model and spec is recorded as having a DMF..

On the other hand my bill was then dropped to £500,, yip that s right £500, and wot a difference in noise / rattle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts