Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Just wondering from what ambient temperature the Rio's radiator would need anit-freeze adding to it?

Asking because I might have to go to Central Europe in February and temperature in the particular part I'm going to sometimes drop to -15 Celsius over night. Not really keen of finding out in the morning that the radiator froze/burst during the night.

Thanks a lot.

Registered
Are you telling us that you are not using coolant in the car at all 馃槺 that is a recipe for disaster if you are not..

Registered
ThoJoh I find it hard to believe what you are saying. There should be coolant in the rad all year round which not only contains antifreeze but also other inhibitors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you telling us that you are not using coolant in the car at all 馃槺 that is a recipe for disaster if you are not..
Hi guys,

I wasn't talking about the coolant, I was talking about 'anti-freeze', which is an addition to the coolant. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Obviously there is coolant in the radiator! I'm just not sure what the lowest ambient temperature is the standard-coolant in the radiator can handle. As you might be aware there is aftermarket anti-freeze that can be added to the coolant to lower the freezing point of the coolant.

Cast your mind back to when you were in school, adding salt to tap water means tap water no longer freezes at 0 degrees centigrade but, e.g., at -4 degree centigrade (don't quote me on that as it is just an example to illustrate the point I'm trying to make). Adding pure alcohol to tap water lowers the freezing point of tap water even further.

And just before you bring it up, I am not planning to add salt or alcohol to the coolant which currently, obviously, is in the radiator!

Registered
Out of the factory most European cars come with antifreeze /coolant mix that will go down to about -30. As has been said, it isn't just antifreeze though it also has corrosion inhibitor. You can get a tester from Halfords / Ebay for a few pounds which is worth it when you consider a frozen engine will cost considerably more to put right. Something like:_
If you need to add antifreeze make sure you get the correct type (it will be in the handbook). It DOES matter which one you get as mixing the types is a bad thing. As you are posting in a 2017 forum I'd guess you have an OAT (organic acid Technology ) type which is common in most modern cars.

Banned
"Coolant" is the mixture of anti-freeze and water in the radioator and the rest of the cooling system. Over time anti freeze additives become less effective and the resulting frreezing temperature rises You can obtain a tester to measure the freezing point of the coolant mix and use this knowledge to add more anti freeze if needed until you achieve the desired level of protection. Be sure tio use an anti freeze which is compatible with whatever is already in there, or drain and replace the lot if unsure.

Registered
While I own a tester and in fact the one in the vid I also do the test with my multi meter to test for rust in the [email protected] the OP now.. how long has the coolant been in your car and what type is it.. ? you might want to consider a total coolant change to cover all bases if its been in there for a number of years..

Banned
Most of the components in my cooling system are aluminium or plastic/rubber. Anyway ferrous oxides are not conductive so it is not sure what you are measuring.

Registered
. how long has the coolant been in your car and what type is it.. ? you might want to consider a total coolant change to cover all bases if its been in there for a number of years..

I'd guess less than 4 years as its a 2017 and earlier forum? ...so should still have plenty of life left in it.
I never changed the coolant in my old Tino and that was 17 when I had to let it go as we needed an auto. It still tested ok for -25. I had it 14 of those 17 years and topped up maybe 0.5 litre of coolant mix.

Registered
Most of the components in my cooling system are aluminium or plastic/rubber. Anyway ferrous oxides are not conductive so it is not sure what you are measuring.
In my case and as you have pointed out quite rightly many parts are in plastic and aluminium these days but in times gone by this was not the case..I tend to use a multi meter to test the PH level of the coolant and for the acidic content of that because it can so I understand destroy gaskets.. on the venga the engine block and head is aluminium but the OP does not state if his Rio is petrol or diesel ..is the diesel block cast iron on his Rio..and in that case carry metalic particles..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts