Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, looking to purchase an Optima 3 1.7. I previously had a Audi A4 2.0 estate which I got remapped from 140hp to 182hp the difference was amazing in low end torque and improved mpg. I understand if I go for a permanent remapping I would void the warranty. Question is, has anyone tried the race chip plug in temporary remap box as shown in the link?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/kia/optima-jf-from-2015/1-7-crdi-1685ccm-141hp-104kw-325nm.html

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum 'Kaicasey'.

Save yourself some money and don't purchase any go-faster equipment for the Optima. I'm fairly sure most people find its performance perfectly adequate as standard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All, looking to purchase an Optima 3 1.7. I previously had a Audi A4 2.0 estate which I got remapped from 140hp to 182hp the difference was amazing in low end torque and improved mpg. I understand if I go for a permanent remapping I would void the warranty. Question is, has anyone tried the race chip plug in temporary remap box as shown in the link?

https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/kia/optima-jf-from-2015/1-7-crdi-1685ccm-141hp-104kw-325nm.html
Hi,

I fitted the RS version back in November last year. I found the acceleration did improve and a very slight improvement in MPG. Fitting takes about 10 mins.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Subscribed and would like to hear feedback on how you get on. I contacted a reputable remapper who advised the most he takes out these engines is 24bhp and 60nm due to the clutches being so soft. Other companies claiming 40+ he says arent thinking about the components and the risks involved.

Would be interested to know how you get on with this chip and if their are any drawbacks.

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there.
Just picked up my optima yesterday. And I'm in same situation. Have superb 140 remaped to 180. That 134hp on optima so far looks alright but thinking about chipexpress. I'm spoke with guys already and they assumed me that can't be tracked after unplugged but I'm bit worried with that soft clutch now.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm spoke with guys already and they assumed me that can't be tracked after unplugged
They would say that, if they said other wise you would walk away.

But it is a fact that all such devices can leave markers that could lead to a dealer refusing warranty cover. The reputable sellers will tell you this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have heard that before but I have never heard an explanation of how that might be achieved. Any ideas?
When certain parameters are not in the normal range the ECU logs this even if it does not warrant a light on the dash and a dealer visit, such parameters as examples can be fuel pressure and boost pressure to name 2. Its these that are changed by a tuning box to obtain the extra performance and whilst some more reputable suppliers may ensure their changes are below the alarm limit others are not as ethical especially those that give several settings. It is 100% certain if you use it on max limits will be exceeded and Kia dealers are not idiots, they will know what has been happening and no doubt put a note on the vehicle records that its been tampered with even if there are no current issues.

Problem is this is more likely to affect a subsequent owner who has had nothing to do with the fitting or removal of the tuning box but it is that owner who could find themselves with no warranty cover when they need it most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts