Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very pleased with my 08 Cee'd - a surprisingly refined and smooth ride for what is not an expensive vehicle.

But I find the level of road/tyre noise in the cabin to be very high - possibly because other sounds, like wind, are well damped down.

So with front tyres nearly due for a change, I'm wondering if I can fit some quieter rubber and if anyone's got any recommendations or experiences to share. Current tyres are Michelin Energy 205/55 R16 - my guess is they are OEM as the car's only done 20k.

I hear Conti EcoContacts are quiet - used to have them on a Renault Scenic. Anything else?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, packman.

Just back from having four new Yokohamas fitted
and they do seem a lot quieter.

Went to have a slow leak investigated on a rear tyre - they found a bulge in the sidewall so that was the end of that - and with 5mm still left on the tread!

Sooooo - with the front tyres down to 3mm, which is most people's lower limit, even if not the law, if only for effective water clearance, I bit the bullet and bought four new ones.

Honest John had recommended the Michelin Energy tyres (same as the originals) when I emailed him to ask him his opinion on quiet but good all-round replacements, but they were a tad more expensive.

The Yokohamas have asymmetric tread pattern and deep grooves and seem good and noticeably quieter on the five miles back from the fitting centre. We'll see if they deliver 23k miles before they need replacing like the originals.

Piemanpete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts