Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change my car once we get out of lockdown, and the Proceed is one of the cars on my shortlist.

I need an automatic because of mobility issues and I'm a little concerned that Kia uses a DCT rather than a proper torque converter auto. My previous experience of DCT was a VW Golf and I found it pretty unpleasant in traffic and when manoeuvring, particularly when reversing.

I'm also struggling to find any reviews of the 2021 updates to the engines and infotainment systems. All of the reviews are either the 1.4T GDI GT-Line or the 1.6T GDI GT. The car I'm looking to buy is the 1.5T GDI GT-Line S.

Obviously, once lockdown is lifted I'll be able to get out and arrange a test drive, but in the meantime I'd be grateful for any insights from owners, particularly regarding the DCT transmission.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have a DCT Sportage so not exactly the same but reading on here it seems that all the KIA DCT boxes are similar.

It is not the same ti drive as a TC box. You might struggle to find a small engine car with a TC box. Mine is smooth and easy to use in traffic or on the open road. Low speed parking is where the difference is most noticeable. It is little tricky, particularly on an incline and it take a while to become accustomed to the fine throttle control needed. It is important to adapt your driving style to the characteristocs of the box but with application it becomes completely second nature. Not everyone is prepared to make the adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a DCT Sportage so not exactly the same but reading on here it seems that all the KIA DCT boxes are similar.

It is not the same ti drive as a TC box. You might struggle to find a small engine car with a TC box. Mine is smooth and easy to use in traffic or on the open road. Low speed parking is where the difference is most noticeable. It is little tricky, particularly on an incline and it take a while to become accustomed to the fine throttle control needed. It is important to adapt your driving style to the characteristocs of the box but with application it becomes completely second nature. Not everyone is prepared to make the adjustment.
Sounds like it may be similar to the DCT in the VW which seemed to be either clutch fully engaged or fully disengaged when manoeuvring, without the ability to creep like a TC setup.

I really struggled with DCT in the Golf, it would either come to a complete stop or lurch uncontrollably when creeping along in traffic or trying to reverse into a tight spot. I much prefer the full-auto EAT8 box in my current Peugeot. I'll give it a test drive when I get the opportunity but it looks like I'm going to be limited to Peugeot/Citroen as these seem to be the only non-premium brands that still use 'proper' automatic boxes.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It is entirely possible to creep forwards or backwards but it needs a delicate right foot. Creeping along in traffic is not recommended because it heats and wears the clutches and that is something of an issue if you spend much time in heavy traffic. Don't reach full clutch engagement until about 6 mph in 1st but if using light throttle it then drops into 2nd and still not full clutch engagement until about 10 mph. Only way to avoid this is stop/go which tends to upset the folk behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I had a spinal injury that left me with limited mobility in my left leg I was an HGV driver. Having learned to drive HGVs in the 70's when the majority didn't have Syncro boxes I'd like to think my clutch and throttle control was probably better than average. However, driving in slow-moving traffic around town in a Golf with a DCT box used to really fray my nerves. It would start to move off just fine but there always seemed to be a point where the clutch would suddenly fully engage and the car would leap forward towards the vehicle in front, hence my concerns about whether the Kia DCT system or DCT systems, in general, have improved since I owned the Golf.

The other issue I had with the Golf was reversing. We have quite a long narrow driveway, around 40m, with a few slight bends and a very slight incline and navigating this in the Golf was always a less than pleasant experience, whereas in the Peugeot, which has an Aisin 8 speed TC auto box it's an absolute doddle as I just let the car tick over in reverse and control the speed on the inclines with the brake.

I really liked the look and the spec of the Proceed but it's looking more and more likely that the DCT will be a deal breaker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts