Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">A newbie with a first post, but would be really grateful for some advice - thanks!
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Having now ruled out the Hyundai ix35, will make final decision tomorrow on either a 2.0 KX3 Sat Nav Auto or the Qashai 1.6 dci Tekna - but I am now definitely leaning towards the Kia!

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Have just yet to test drive both ! Doing so in the morning

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">But my question is this; what's the stereo like in the Sportage? I'm sure it can't compete with the Bose system in the Qashqai (the only remaining plus for me with the Nissan) but is it any good? Fundamentally, is it loud, can you crank it up and will it handle a bit of heavy bass (hip hop my usual choice!!) - cant find any wattage output figures anywhere?

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Basically, are you all impressed with it?

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I tried to crank up the stereo on my test drive with the Sportage (standard version, not the sat nav).
I can't say that I was overly impressed, but then i didn't really get much chance to play with the settings if i'm honest.

I'm sure, regardless of how poor it may or may not be, a few hundred quid will sort it out.

So not worth basing your descision purely on the audio in my opinion.

Kia winson looks for me.
Edited by: keat99

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi I took the plunge and am getting a kx-3 sat nav in a couple of weeks (woo hoo
). The stereo in the sat-nav models features an External Amp & Sub-Woofer...

for what its worth a good friend of mine has a pretty new n-tec Quashqai and it looks great. Its a personal thing but IMO the KIA looks miles better. The Qashqai interior has a tiny sat nav screen and all the gizmos but just seems a bit bland. He has the 1.6 petrol and it is so Slow its a nuisance. I believe the new 1.6 diesel is a peach.
decisions decisions...remember the 7 year warranty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Garynic, interesting comments. I agree that the sat nav screen in the Qashqai looks tiny when compared. I also think little added touches in the Sportage make it better; cool box, sunroof that opens, better alloys etc. But it would be the 1.6 diesel I'd go for. And a Tekna spec which has the Bose. But when all said and done, will probably stick with the Kia and its separate amp/sub set-up.

I'm not making a decision purely based around the audio but it is important to me, and I don't want to spend more if I can avoid it. Hence the question I suppose.

Re. warranty, not buying the car, but 3 year contract hire as usual - but for a buyer the 7yr thing is amazing.

Are you getting the 2.0 ltr and what colour (i have choice of black or white)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
HiIm buying mine and its the 2.0 CRDi in silver storm. I now have my conffirmation of VIN so should arive pretty soon.
Obviously I looked at the Qashqai but im a sucker for the good looks of the KIA
. There few and far between round here where I live and Im always gobsmacked
when I see one at how they look on the road. The Nissan is 10 a penny so not so apealing to me. Also the KIA was £££'s cheaper than a 4x4 version which is what Im going for.
Changing cars is so hard, all the choices and you will always feel you got the wrong one whichever way you go LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup I agree! That's why I prefer to contract hire, but then people argue you're just throwing money away without ownership - so many swings and roundabouts! Yours sounds cool, silver is nice, so best of luck with it.

That's the other thing my Kia would be auto, which you cant get as 1.6 dci Qashqai.

Do you think the interiors compare well? I think the Sportage is actually a little more classy, nicer finishing etc? Qashqai very plasticky down the middle and I didn't like the seats had pretty much no 'sides' to them - like a mini!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who and How did you get confirmation of your VIN? My car is also due in a few weeks but I haven't been given any info!

·
Registered
413 Posts
My dealer sent me a letter to sign with the VIN on it. Its to do the registration?? (bought mine from Lloyds TSB)Like I said my friends Qashqai is very bland and its a top end model, The KIA looks like it will be fun everytime you get in it. I can't wait

A couple of cars ago I leased a Citroen C5 new shape which was a gorgeous car, really nice and at that time was very rare so I stood out. It was for pennies a month and I did 38,500 miles in two years. The service cost was £225 for 1 service and apart from a set of tyres that was it. A real bargain...BUT at the end of the two years I had no car
 and nothing to show for my money.
Edited by: garynic

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kia calls it an "external amp and subwoofer" I think if it was BOSE they would be shouting about it.
Any sat nav owners want to comment on the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
keat99 said:
I tried to crank up the stereo on my test drive with the Sportage (standard version, not the sat nav).
I can't say that I was overly impressed, but then i didn't really get much chance to play with the settings if i'm honest.

I can't speak for the sat nav version but the standard system is pretty mediocre when compared to the 300C. Fiddling with it does help... a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my Gun Metal KX3 2.0 CRDI Sat Nav yesterday replacing my 3 year old Mazda 6 Sport. My Mazda had a Bose system with external amp and subwoofer and sounded great.

In my opinion the Kia is better, not only is the sound from the sub great but the bass and mid-tones the front speakers is awesome,

My iPod played at only half volume is very loud and superb quality.

Loving my new Kia so far

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I have a KX3SN, I havent found out how to plug any sort of player into the socket in the dash but Ive been playing a few hit parade records on the machine and they all sound good, I dont turn it up too loud or it affects my tinitus but Des O'Connor sounds loads better in the Kia than it does on the cassette in my other car.

Its not up to Land Rover quality of sound system but probably better than most

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was referring to DidcotPaul's answer that is! Not the Des O'Connor fan.

Definitely a newbie at this!

But thanks to everyone's replies to my OP!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have to say I had a bose system in my mazda RX8 and to be honest I wasn't over impressed, couldn't really hear what i was getting, but having said that the bose stuff i have have at home sounds fantastic , maybe its just the enviroment you are listening in, the system in me FE sounds fine to me if a little light sometimes otherwise i'm happy with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife is now the proud owner of a KX-3 Sat Nav (although I can't stop driving it !!) and the sound system is absolutely brilliant. Previously she owned a MX-5 with Bose sound system and I have to say we were extremely disappointed with the overall sound quality. Hope you enjoy your new car - you really will not regret it. Finally, there's quite a lot of criticism regarding the Sat Nav however I've found it works really well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts