Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed phev
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 Reg, 5K miles. Is this normal? OK driving in town but not quite pleasant on the motorway as I have to constantly bring the vehicle back to the centre.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
70 Reg, 5K miles. Is this normal?
Very briefly, it's not normal. To address the issue, first check tyre pressures. If they are correct, you need to speak to the selling dealer as the dealer will need to check for a sticking brake; check the wheel alignment, tracking and examine all track rods, tie bars, suspension parts and drive shafts.

If you can, It's a great idea to persuade the service manager to drive the car in order that he/she understands exactly what you are experiencing so that they don't ring you late afternoon to say the car is ready for collection as no fault could be found.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Our Ceed was very camber sensitive on its OEM Michelins. It would pull to the left quite strongly but on a suitable piece of deserted road with a big camber either side if you drove on the right it would pull to the right. On a length of road with little camber it would track strait and true.

Put on the Kleber winter tyres (also made by Michelin) and it would drive strait and true on all roads.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
Nothing to add to the sound advice in the replies above.

Must admit, I've been convinced many times in the Proceed that I have a tyre going flat or I've knocked the tracking out, only to drive a bit further and the problem has gone away. I think it may be a 'characteristic' of the way electronic steering self-centres; perhaps it is just more noticeable in the KIA set-up than you are used to.

Reactions: matty47

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I think it may be a 'characteristic' of the way electronic steering self-centres;
You make a good point there and while I do believe that electric power steering has evolved over recent years, many still can't reproduce the sensitivity and fluidity of the best previous generation fluid-driven steering racks.

Having said that, the steering on my Optima is excellent unless LDW or LKA is selected. The steering, then, really does suffer from a feeling of artificiality and seems somehow disconnected, failing to instil the positive feedback present when left entirely to driver inputs.

I do hope the OP returns in due course with an update on progress......or lack thereof!

·
Registered
Xceed phev
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very briefly, it's not normal. To address the issue, first check tyre pressures. If they are correct, you need to speak to the selling dealer as the dealer will need to check for a sticking brake; check the wheel alignment, tracking and examine all track rods, tie bars, suspension parts and drive shafts.

If you can, It's a great idea to persuade the service manager to drive the car in order that he/she understands exactly what you are experiencing so that they don't ring you late afternoon to say the car is ready for collection as no fault could be found.
Was told by the lease company to take the vehicle to Kwik Fit. Will thay be able to do all that work or Kia is the best place

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
Was told by the lease company to take the vehicle to Kwik Fit. Will thay be able to do all that work or Kia is the best place
In theory, yes Kwik Fit could do it. But bitter experience would tell me not to trust them with anything more technical than a shopping trolley. In a way, it's the lease companies car so why should you care if Kwik Fit mess it up? But conversely, it's you who has to drive it on a daily basis, so I'd say get it done by KIA. It is under warranty after all, and the problem might be covered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.