Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was the proud owner of a 2020 facelift Kia e Niro, having unexpectedly got a cancelled order due to Covid19.
We have had a number of new Kia’s in the past and been very happy with them and the service.

I have been lurking on this forum for a long period, as well as Kia Niro speak EV. Did a lot of research, watched all the U Tube videos, reports, test drives and was smitten.

Really happy and pleased with the purchase, and a total difference to driving a fossil fuelled car. Very relaxing and pleasant.
The car is only a matter of months old, is now in the dealership and the replacement part is not available until February 2021, so you can understand my annoyance with this.

Used the UVO app to defrost the car on 1/12/20 which worked very well. A mile up the road the dash lit up with a software EV fault, and the heating stopped working?

Read on the forums, someone had a similar issue, they just turned everything off, fault cleared and has not comeback on since. Tried this and all fine.
Not so mine, the following day took the car out-seemed to heat up very quickly, closely followed by an electrical burning smell. Initially thought this was just because the car was new, and just burning off silicones or assembly type goo? EV fault light lit up, having travelled the grand distance of 1 mile, turned around and went home, and phoned the dealer.

Dealer took the car in the following day. Grand total of 1670 miles, since ownership!

No real contact and the issue seemed to be no one knew what the fault could be, with an exchange of emails between the dealership, Kia UK and Korea. The dealership apologised, and explained the reasons for delay, although this was the receptionist and not the Workshop Manager. No hire car, one was promised, never materialised, and even if they supply one, I am not allowed to take it out of the County, when I had a business trip planned for the following day which was cancelled.
Last contact with the dealership was over a week ago, and nothing more, prior to that I have had to chase them up for an update, as my UVO app keeps telling me its been left with doors open or left unlocked at night time (hopefully in the workshop).

In frustration I have now contacted KIA UK, only to be told whatever the car needs is on back order and not expected until February 2021.

So no car, 2+ weeks, very little contact, no loan or hire car, and possibly no car until February 2021 as it is deemed as a ’safety concern'

To say I am not impressed would be an understatement, not what I expect whatsoever.

I was going to trade it in against a new 4+ model with the sunroof and heated rear seats, but think that option will not be happening now.
I know these cars are relatively new, but have been out since 2019, but there seems to be a total lack of technician expertise when faults arise?

Dear Mr

Thanks for your recent contact.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve not heard from the dealer since Friday.

I’ve spoken to them directly and currently the ETA for this part is still showing as February 2021, I’m currently investigating on whether there is anything we can do for you whilst your car is a safety concern.

Thanks for your patience.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch via email or phone on 0333 2022 990.

Kind regards

Senior Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Welcome.

These are difficult times for all businesses and the motor trade is no exception unfortunately!
So it helps if you don't have too new a model where spares are likely to be in short supply and South Korea is two months away by ship and with the state of the airline industry this is no better!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your view on geographic distances, it does not excuse a brand new car with just over 1600 miles in Kia UK’s words being a ‘safety concern’ with a fault that should never really happen, if assembled correctly with QA parts? The loan car is not coming from Korea either, and the telephone system and internet have not gone down. Whichever way you view it, it is a very bad service level for a brand new car!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hi

We're sorry to hear about the e-Niro issue. Could you please PM us with your full name and reg. We're keen to review the case you opened with us to ensure the part is expedited as much as possible. Could you also let us know if you're still waiting for a courtesy car.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The KIA case reference number for this matter is KMUK0635306, and yes after a lot of hassle a hire car was provided yesterday evening, apart from that I still have not been updated on the nature of the fault, why the car is deemed a ‘safety concern’ and further prognosis. Obviously my main concern, is the necessity for the car to be stripped down to get to whatever it is that may need replacing, how well this will be done, and future squeaks and rattles as a result. It smelling of burnt electrical components gives me no faith in its future reliability.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Regardless of supply issues - which are NOT the concern of the consumer - I'd suggest that 2 months+ without your car isn't a "reasonable time" to wait for a repair. I'd further suggest that a judge would be bound to agree, should it come to legal action.

Were I you I'd be asking for a full refund or a new car if you bought the car inside the last 6 months.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was purchased on 25th June, so well within the 6 month period. It has hardly been used due to Lockdown restrictions, and 1600+ miles does not give me any confidence this is not a Friday afternoon car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update on this as I know sometimes people are on forums, have a problem, and never give an update.

Thanks can only be given to KIA UK who obviously monitor on here, got in touch privately, via private message, and arranged for the necessary part to be removed from a donor car that was sat in the a port.

The fault was the main PTC Heater, which apparently works off the main high voltage side, and is responsible for the heat as well as the interior cooling.

The local garage replaced the part and it was collected on 6/1/2021 - it is however back with them again!

On checking the car two days later (its been very frosty of late) there was a large dent in the roof, which of course the garage deny any liability for, but did say it was parked at the end of their car park under a large tree, which had numerous large branches around the base, which had fallen/broken off in recent high winds. Now waiting for dent devil to try and correct, or it is a whole roof respray, which the garage say they will pay for if need be (but its not their fault?)

Not an experience to repeat, with a car that had just 1853 miles when collected on 6/1, after repair.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Just an update on this as I know sometimes people are on forums, have a problem, and never give an update.

Thanks can only be given to KIA UK who obviously monitor on here, got in touch privately, via private message, and arranged for the necessary part to be removed from a donor car that was sat in the a port.

The fault was the main PTC Heater, which apparently works off the main high voltage side, and is responsible for the heat as well as the interior cooling.

The local garage replaced the part and it was collected on 6/1/2021 - it is however back with them again!

On checking the car two days later (its been very frosty of late) there was a large dent in the roof, which of course the garage deny any liability for, but did say it was parked at the end of their car park under a large tree, which had numerous large branches around the base, which had fallen/broken off in recent high winds. Now waiting for dent devil to try and correct, or it is a whole roof respray, which the garage say they will pay for if need be (but its not their fault?)

Not an experience to repeat, with a car that had just 1853 miles when collected on 6/1, after repair.

Hi

We've sent you a PM.

KCS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well things just got better and better.

Not had any contact with regards fixing the roof from Mr Dent Devil, however……….

Fourth trip in the car this afternoon, after picking it up from the dealership on 6/1/2021, car has travelled a grand total of 120 miles, and the heating has failed yet again, followed by the EV EML light coming on!

Exactly the same symptoms as before, within 400 yards the car heated up rapidly, closely followed by a strong burning smell, the Electrical Fault triangle lit, and all heating stopped.

I can not for one minute believe the brand new PTC Heater has failed, unless something is very badly amiss, and it is getting too high a voltage from the high voltage side, which is burning out the PTC?

I am not impressed with any of this!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for this very ueful information which ,sadly, does nothing for those who are undecided as to whether EV cars are really a viable option to a normal ICE car. It is a worry that teh new part , from another future customers's car, has also failed. Do they all do this sir?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well things just got better and better.

Not had any contact with regards fixing the roof from Mr Dent Devil, however……….

Fourth trip in the car this afternoon, after picking it up from the dealership on 6/1/2021, car has travelled a grand total of 120 miles, and the heating has failed yet again, followed by the EV EML light coming on!

Exactly the same symptoms as before, within 400 yards the car heated up rapidly, closely followed by a strong burning smell, the Electrical Fault triangle lit, and all heating stopped.

I can not for one minute believe the brand new PTC Heater has failed, unless something is very badly amiss, and it is getting too high a voltage from the high voltage side, which is burning out the PTC?

I am not impressed with any of this!

We've just sent you another PM.

KCS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We've just sent you another PM.

KCS
You have and I have replied. I have told the dealer, yet again I do not want the car back, and wish to reject which they will no doubt just ignore, but that is fine as it is all on a public forum.
So we now have a ‘Battery Isolation’ fault code - does that causing the heavy burning smell too??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kia UK’s response to handing the car back.........on 17/12/20.
When we had been waiting weeks for a hire car and being told, by the dealer, no part was available till after February 2021.

Kia stepped in after though, but its now back at dealers with the same or yet another fault.

Case Reference – (Edited out by Admin)

Dear Mr

Thanks for your recent contact.

I’m sorry to hear that you feel that you want to hand the vehicle back but as mentioned I’m investigating further to see if there’s something, we can do for you.

If you are considering handing the vehicle back, you would need to speak to the selling dealer directly and the contract of sale lies directly with them and not Kia.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch via email or phone on 0333 2022 990.

Kind regards

Senior Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
Thanks for this very ueful information which ,sadly, does nothing for those who are undecided as to whether EV cars are really a viable option to a normal ICE car. It is a worry that teh new part , from another future customers's car, has also failed. Do they all do this sir?
I think that people have to balance this against the fact that you can have issues with ICE just the same.

While Gary e nero is having a nightmare with his car, many others do not.

What is important here is how well the issue is handled & resolved by both the dealer & Manufacture. To ensure that OP is getting the outcome they want.

As to rejecting/handing the car back. That is purely down to the dealer & the consumer rights. If Kia have to step in and resolve it, that is a major down on the dealer, as it is their responsibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that people have to balance this against the fact that you can have issues with ICE just the same.

While Gary e nero is having a nightmare with his car, many others do not.

What is important here is how well the issue is handled & resolved by both the dealer & Manufacture. To ensure that OP is getting the outcome they want.

As to rejecting/handing the car back. That is purely down to the dealer & the consumer rights. If Kia have to step in and resolve it, that is a major down on the dealer, as it is their responsibility.
Well having starting to trawl the internet with Kia e-Niro heater problem, it appears I am not the only one with the same issue, which seems to have arisen since December and the cold weather. One unfortunate managing just 300 miles in his car before his PTC Heater packed up.

Check Electric Vehicle System warning

Kia saying this is the first time they seen this...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.