Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2015, Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel Estate, Auto transmission
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've purchased a Kia Ceed :) 15 plate, 1.6 Diesel auto estate - collecting it later this week.

I am interested to know what I should be aware of with this car - is there any known common issues / fixes that I should be aware of etc?

I'd also like to know what "hidden gems" the car has... what should I get used to first and what "tricks" can it do that might not be initially apparent (for example, windows wind up from outside of the car using a key remote?)

Excited to get hold of it and look forward to hearing what I should try out first with it!

ALSO - with it being an automatic, I have never driven an auto in my life.... anything I need to be aware of? How do hill starts work as I can't exactly bite the clutch with it!

Thanks all

Super Moderator
Hi & Welcome.

Which level of spec is the car? As what features you get depends on that.

Auto is great. 40+ years of manual driving till picking up the auto this Jan. If you have auto hold, then hill starts are a piece of cake. No roll back. Just press right foot down & off you go.

Registered
Cee'd SW GT Line

This is on my Cee'd 2016, 1.6CRDi - 60000 km. Turbo has been changed under warranty but still the same issue. I will visit dealership for 4th time to try to solve the howling. Check your Kia for howling sound and I'm verry dissaponted with verry poor air conditioning. Regarding other segments there is no other issues regarding this model.

rgds,

Registered
Good choice it seems, I got my "65" Ceed 2 Diesel 3 years ago and have taken it from 23k to 61k currently. MPG good, 52-53 mpg average across 50/50 mway/urban (250 miles per week). Servicing costs higher due to main dealer, but offset by other low current maintenance spends and 拢0 tax.

I like everything abut the car, and went for the 2 spec as I didn't want nav and lot of tech but the 1 spec is too basic, no cruise. Mine has the later rear light and fog upgrades and prefer that to the earlier models but I have seen later 66/17 plates sporting the older rear light design (hatch only).

Car drivers nicely, quiet for a diesel, comfortable, more than enough poke for my needs (134bhp) and very tall gearing make it relaxing just on cruise on long journeys.

I keep hearing repeated confirmation that the manual diesel Cee'd doesn't not have a DMF so that is further reassurance along with the fact the engines are chain cam also.

Mine isn't the best bodywork wise, I don't car much for washing and although gets one on the drive, plenty on chips and scratches close up and one small dent on the door. I prefer to put my money in the oily bits to keep running. Still looks presentable though.

The 2 spec doesn't close the windows on key fob.... and I think all Cee'ds have auto hold (mine has) if the hill is steep enough it will hold the car enough for you to find the biting point and move off. I have a manual not sure about how it works with an auto. Maybe it holds longer?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys :) How would I tell what level spec the car is?

Still getting used to the car but think I have figured out the cruise control, speed limiter and gear box... (figured out I can manually control gears to an extent which makes me feel better... seem to be able to get faster acceleration when I put them on manual.

I do have one question as I want to install a revering camera onto the car.. however I'll start a new thread for that or even better, do a search for anyone else who has done it first :).

I have removed the reversing camera and mirror from my old car so I know what I need to wire up... just need a bit of advice on the best place to wire the power cables in and how to get the camera feed from the body to the rear door (the rubber cable casing for door electrics looks VERY tight to squeeze anything else through).

Thanks all :)

Loving the car!

Registered
Thanks for the reply guys :) How would I tell what level spec the car is?

Still getting used to the car but think I have figured out the cruise control, speed limiter and gear box... (figured out I can manually control gears to an extent which makes me feel better... seem to be able to get faster acceleration when I put them on manual.

I do have one question as I want to install a revering camera onto the car.. however I'll start a new thread for that or even better, do a search for anyone else who has done it first :).

I have removed the reversing camera and mirror from my old car so I know what I need to wire up... just need a bit of advice on the best place to wire the power cables in and how to get the camera feed from the body to the rear door (the rubber cable casing for door electrics looks VERY tight to squeeze anything else through).

Thanks all :)

Loving the car!
Hi, you may already know this, but if your car has a dual clutch gearbox as mine does(2016 Ceed)do yourself a favour and search dos and don'ts of these clutches on youtube, there are just a few things you need to do differently from a torque converter gearbox.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't say I would know which it is Kev, how would i Know? All I know is that it's an automatic.

I do have 1 or 2 questions now that I am getting used to driving it... I'll post some questions shortly :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so the car is a 1.6 CRDi 2 5d Auto... I think that answers iooi's question about which spec level?.... CRDi 2?

QUESTIONS;

1) It's listed online as a 50mpg car which was meant to be an upgrade from the x-type jag I could get 40 mpg from.... However I'm only getting 30 mpg from the ceed unless I drive around knocking it into neutral all of the time.... the usual journey is 10 miles from a village to outskirts of another town.. mostly countryside.

Am I doing something wrong?... 30 mpg seems very very low and it's gussling a lot of diesel... it's almost leaving me disaheartened that I've spent so much on the car and it's drinking fuel.

---

2) How does speed limiter and cruise control affect fuel economy?... I have noticed if I limit the speed at 30mph.. and just keep my foot on the gas... the engine seems to be working harder than when my foot is not on the gas even when it hits the limit.... I can only assume that this means the car is 'wasting" fuel on the extra revs?
--
3) eco mode - other than it assumingly removing power from the car, I cannot notice any difference with MPG... is it worth using or better to just get to speed quickly then leg to of the accelerate?
---
4) Steering wheel mode - I've tried all 3 modes.. normal, comfort, sport.... I don't feel any differnence between modes... what does it actually do?

Thanks for the answers everyone!

Registered
If you plan to keep the car for many years, then consider a fluid change now, rather than wait. Not a flush, just 1 drain and refill. If the fluid is very miscoloured, then get 1 more change a couple weeks later.

I see the transmission is a DCT. So don't inch along in a que at <about 4 mph.
Drive like a manual or a big lorry, let it Idle along at a rolling pace, without having to go in and out of 1st gear.
Keep a gap ahead in slow traffic

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the garage gave the car an oil change whilst getting it prepared for collection so that should be covered.

When you say drive it like a manual - can you elaborate please? I read that as "let go of the acceleration when you change gears, and give it a second before putting foot back on the pedal again"?

Registered
Drive just like an automatic > ca 4 mph, no need to lift your foot for gear changes.
However at speeds < about 4 mph, drive as though you were in a manual. Keep a gap ahead and avoid repetive 0-4 mph start stops.

You will notice if you do it that, that the motion of the vehicle may not be so smooth.
Apart from that lowest speed range, DCTs are fantastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.