Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this has already been covered (I've also posted this on another forum). I've had a good read of many of the posts here and would like to thank everyone for their contributions.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I am considering buying a new Proceed 3 (or perhaps the Proceed Ecodynamics 2) and would appreciate owner's opinions. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for it's probably worthwhile explaining my background.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I live in the UK and use my current car for business. It's a BMW 120d SE. I've owned the car from new and is just over 5 years old. I've covered 145,000 miles in that time. I'm a steady driver and believe in mpg rather than mph. However, the majority of my mileage is covered on motorways (at 65 mph) so I'm concerned that the 89BHp available on the Ecodynamics may not be sufficient (but then I'm attracted to the mpg figure). Will the lack of power annoy me?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I'm looking at a Kia for 2 reasons. Firstly the warranty is important to me due to the mileage I cover. Also, 2009 wasn't a great year for anyone in sales so I'm no longer in the position to be able to replace my car with like for like. I also like the look of the Proceed (I've never really liked the look of my 1 series BMW).<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">So, would a Proceed be ideal for the amount of time I spend in my car? Will it be reliable enough? Would the running costs be as low as I hope?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Any comments would be greatly appreciated.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Thanks in advance.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Daz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
72 views and no replies? I take it no-one's done a lot of miles yet, either that or the cars are unreliable
?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Very reliable, will eat up the miles no problem, imho don't bother with ecodynamics, bit of a gimmick, better of with a proceed 3, with high output diesel, will be just as economical in real world driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have a 59 plate proceed sport now with 10,500 miles in only 5 months. Other than a silly glitch at the start it has been faultless. 1st service next months. The only issue I would say about the 1.6CRDi is the lower power, but if you don't care then perfect, the engine is smooth and quiet, I test drove the 1.6 and the 2.0 and went for the 2.0 but this isn't available any more...

i think they are a very nice car that is quiet, comfortable and (so far?!) reliable.. Servicing costs even at a main dealer are low also..

I hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Daz,
Personally I would try to find a Proceed Sport 2.0 litre diesel.
The specification is extremely good:
Leather,Climate Control 6 speed this list goes on & on.
I think you will be well pleased, the car is a good solid drive, economical & reasonably quick, mine is lowered and fitted with a Tunit Box and is up at 165 b.h.p., on a run I have managed 60+ miles to the gallon.
Top speed well into three figures and fun.
Performance if you want it, it will knock the spots of a 320 BMW,Audi A4.
Plus the 7 year warranty
JUST DO IT MY MAN!!!!!!
Do not be a badge snob.
Speak to You Soon

·
Registered
887 Posts
2.0 sport is no longer available.
The proceed 3, gets dual zone climate, cruise, electrics, but misses out on leather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys for your replies. Some great info there. Any more opinions? Who's got the highest mileage so far on theirs?

Daz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Daz,

Did you ever get that proceed? I too am looking at the Proceed 3 but not the eco dynamics one as i think it is short of power. I do much the same as you , I have a Honda Civic 2.2CDTi at the moment.

I would be very interested in the outcome of your enquiry.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mike,

Still driving the BMW....but only for a few more days. I may just hit 150,000 miles by the time I give it up. Yes, I've ordered the Proceed, should be ready early next week. I've gone for a black "2" 113Bhp version. The bluetooth feature on the "3" doesn't quite do what I want (i.e. you cannot make hands free outgoing calls) so I opted for the "2" and am having a Bury voice actuated bluetooth system fitted. Also going for reversing sensors.

I'm still a little nervous about the miles I do. No-one's really been able to say they've done a whole load of miles but I guess these cars aren't really old enough to have such high mileages on them.

Daz

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you go the site http://www.kia-forums.com there is a guy on there thats got 2 Rio petrol 2006 models that have done 290K miles and 178K miles and not alot has gone wrong with them.
I am sure your Pro Ceed will do the same with regular servicing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally picked the car up yesterday! I haven't used it much though, spent most of yesterday playing with the stereo and the Bury Bluetooth device.

The BMW goes on Sunday morning. It already feels dated inside compared with the Proceed. When I got the BMW, I payed £825 fora stereo upgrade (13 speaker Harmen Karden surround sound with BMW Pro unit). It's the best sound system I have ever heard (in my opinion) so I was very worried about the Kia's standard stereo. It's not at all bad actually is it?

Engine pick up at low revs is also surprisingly good. I've lost 50 BHp so again I was nervous. I think the Kia is low geared which makes it feel quite lively.

My only gripe (so far) is that the engine rattles from cold (like a sloppy valve clearance) that goes once the engine is warm. The dealer says this is normal for the diesel engine. However, my 150,000 mile old BMW rattles far less than my 33 mile old Kia!

Daz

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just thought i'd see how the car is going. Ive got a 2.0 Pro ceed and I am very happy with it. Its especially good on the motorway. The 6th gear makes a lot of difference. Yes it does sound like a tractor when you first start it up but once its warmed up its smooth and quiet.

Give us an update and tell us what you think compared to the BMW..........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I'm always one to do as I'm told.

Car's only got a few hundred miles on it thanks to the Easter holiday (I only tend to drive on business and was reasonablly local today). So, first impressions compared with the BMW:

Pros

After spending £825 on the BMW's stereo upgrade I was nervous thatthe Kia'sstandard stereo would insult my ears. Truth is, it's not at all bad! Love the USB bit (£230 option for the BMW).

Losing 50 Bhp also worried me but actually the little Kia engine is quite spritely (not that I've revved it over 2000 rpm...I am the slowest driver ever!).

Fuel consumption is looking promising. I was expecting it to be awful initially until the engine loosens. 52 mpg avarage so far with only 200 miles on the clock. I remember my first journey in the BMW (Midlands to South Wales), that car only averaged 45 mpg when brand new (it ended up with 54mpg average over 150,000 miles).

Love the look of it, inside and out.

Cheeky thing tells me when to change gear! (should that be on the cons list?).

Cons

As already stated, I'm now aware of something mechanical living under the bonnet (the engine). The BMW had a fluid-like way of getting me around.

My door handles don't illuminate when I click the remote!

Only 1 courtesy light inside the car! (OK, I'm getting desperate now to find things for the cons list)

No doubt I'll have more ideas when I actually start to drive the thing.

Daz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts